mtbr member

Blue Marsh storm damage / trail work update / volunteers

Blue Marsh was hit hard by high wind on Monday evening during a brief strong storm. The trail from Justa road north to Church Rd. has many blown down trees and the entire trail is littered with small limbs and debris. It is as bad or worse than the ice storms a few winters ago. Peacock Rd to Church is particularly bad. I can't speak for the Rt 183 side or ski loop north of Church Rd. or any areas south but I expect the situation is the same. I contacted the lake office and as of today (Thursday 7-26) and they are just finishing up the park area and are organizing a plan for the trail system. I plan on getting out with a bow saw and loppers before the weekend but a ranger is going to call me back with details about where and when they will be working on the trails. I wondered if anyone else was interested in helping out and figured we could use this site to organize and not cover areas twice or not at all. I know using a chain saw required certain safety equipment (eye, helmet, chaps) as well as meeting with a ranger and maybe even paperwork. They will let me know when they call back and if anyone is up for organizing as a small group or groups this weekend may be a good time.

I know several of us made a big difference a few years ago during the winter ice storms by helping out. I expect the lake is better staffed during the summer but we could help ourselves out and make a positive statment about the biking community that uses the lake by helping out. Please consider it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    cdrush,

I can help out Saturday morning. Just post where to meet and the time. I will bring my hand saw and bike to be able to cover more area faster, this worked out great when windwalker and I did the skisloop loop after the first ice storm. Freewald might have some people sign a waiver if they have not help out in the past.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Blue Marsh Cleanup

i rode a loop from State Hill boat launch over to almost justa and back last night ,and you're right...it's a mess.There are some trees down big enough that a chainsaw would really come in handy.I'll watch for a time here also,and if work permitting I'll help out Sat. A.M. also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have never been to Blue Marsh but I would like to go check it out. This way I could get to know the trails and give back to the mountain bike community. I would definitely be down to do some work on Saturday morning, will bring a handsaw and the bike as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Ble Marsh Cleanup

Just an FYI to whoever may care...I called the lake office today and the lady I talked with said the rangers are fine with us taking handsaws in and clearing the trail,but if you want to use power tools,you will need to see Scott Sunderland over at the ranger station to fill out paperwork(which CdRush already mentioned)he starts at 9a tomorrow she told me.
    I plan on attacking 3 spots between the State Hill boat launch and the top of the "big hill"

mtbr member
    I am planning on 8:30 Sat morning Church Rd and working south from there. Anyone want to meet me there? I will park across the bridge from 183 on the left at the trail map kiosk. I am planning on backpacking a bowsaw and loppers on a bike. I did not hear back from the lake office like I was told I would so I am picking a spot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will meet you there. Bringing a folding saw and my bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    cdrush see you at 8:30 church road lot

mtbr member
    Trail clean up went pretty well There is a large tree down 1.5 miles in from church rd from there it was already cleared for a few miles so mpharris bankofdad and me decided to just do the loop well within a few miles we found a lot more trees down but we able to clear everything but a large pine tree out in a field that u can ride along and about 7 or 8 large trees on the front of the lake which are large and block the trail every 20 yards 3 of them are ridable which is cool but 2 or 3 you have to climb over and under I am sure bankofdad will remember where they were a little better then me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mile marker 26-27 is the area with trees down 2 you can hop the rest you must lift your bike over and one you can tilt your bike way over being the tree is 4ft of the ground and across the trail. The tree out in the field is north of mile 4 marker if the rangers use a gator they can drag it off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks guys for being my tour guide on Saturday. It was a blast and we knocked out some downed trees at the same time. Hope to ride with you guys again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpharris View Post
    Thanks guys for being my tour guide on Saturday. It was a blast and we knocked out some downed trees at the same time. Hope to ride with you guys again.
    Any time you want to ride Blue marsh again send me a PM if I am free I will ride it. Or any other place around here