mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Blue Marsh post Sandy condition?

Any word on how Blue Marsh took the hit from Sandy? Any trails under? Bridges lost?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    My brother lives out in Reading and it sounds like he got less wind out that way than I did (about halfway between Reading and Philly) so I'm hoping that there aren't a lot of down trees. Was going to try and ride the full loop in November or December, will watch this thread to see if its going to be doable.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I am 5 minutes away and we had lots of wind...trees down.siding blown off etc. I am hoping to get out Friday after work and will report back

mtbr member
    Just back from Blue Marsh. Rode area on west side of lake between Justa Rd and the dam ( miles 1-9 ish). Lots of loose branches on the trail with 10 or so really big trees to dismount and walk around or over. Trail will need quite a bit of work. I did see another group at Justa Rd. parking lot who had come south from Church Rd. and said it was not as bad at the upper end.

Fossil
    Rode the 23 mile loop yesterday (Monday 11/5) starting/finishing at Church Rd. Lots of trees down. Probably had to dismount 20+ times. Some of the bigger down trees were a real chore to get around and/or thru. As was said, lots of little sticks down... we were amazed that none of the three of us didn't lose a spoke or a derailleur hanger. Some areas were blown free of leaves by the wind, most areas were pretty well covered by leaves, slowing us a bit on downhills... well, and uphills for that matter. No bridge problems.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just got back from riding the west side between Justa Road and Church road and the Ski Slope loop. It wasn't too bad between Justa and Church. I only had to dismount 2 or 3 times. The 183 side of the ski slope loop was in good shape, only 1 or 2 dismounts.

The west side of the ski slope loop was bad. Lots of big trees went down on the west side of the lake. I had to bush whack down the backside of the ski slope because there were so many trees down. It seemed like the trees on the west side of the lake were more exposed to the winds because of the higher elevations on that side of the lake.

mtbr member
    As of 11-21 west side of ski loop still really bad...from cliff area (church rd.) to upper bridge there are many very large trees down. The switchback climb up the back of old ski area is a huge p.i.a. to even walk around blowdowns!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anyone have current conditions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Try Mt Penn all trails mint blown,raked approx 40miles of trail,single track,double track,as much climbing as your able,tech,DH,FR,more diversity then just about any riding area in Berks and outlying counties!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Rode single speed there New years day most of it was muddy, packed down snow/ice from walkers if the temps stay around to below freezing it will be ok for the most part. Like Techfersure mentioned Mt Penn would be good that is up top on the mountain and is usually never muddy and drains well with all the rock and it is colder up top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks- I figured it would need to be below freezing this time of year.