Thread: Blue Marsh Lake

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Blue Marsh Lake

It's about an hour and half from my house and I'm thinking about giving it a spin this Sat. I was over there a couple of weeks ago on my motorcycle and just did a quick fly by and thought it looked interesting. Years ago it was "the" place to ride in that area, not sure if that's the case anymore. Semi-considering camping on Fri. and riding Sat but I didn't see any campgrounds that were close by. Worth my time? Where to park? ect...

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Short version: It's a great XC rolling ride, no "PA rocky" nature really, circumnavigates the lake. 23 or 30 mile routes, depending upon whether you hit the loop to the n/w of Church Rd. Ought to be starting to show some nice fall colors by this time. Parking off Church Rd on the n/w side, and a couple of the day-use areas to the south and easterly sides (State Hill Rd, etc.).

If it doesn't get much rain this week I'd take the bet it'd be a good ride, but you may want input from locals, there's a lot of lower-lying dirt trail there which won't appreciate usage when wet.

More info, directions, maps, in the thread from the ride I hosted there last July (it's not too long).

cheers.

Sat July 7th - Blue Marsh Lake Enduro

my church is the woods
    I would only take people I really don't like to that overly long horse path.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Maybe he should go to Mt Penn?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Drove up there from WC on the advice of another rider a few years ago. Not worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Its OK if you're looking for a long-ish one loop ride. There's some flowy singletrack here and there, but as others have said - its not technical at all. It's worth checking out if you're bored with whatever is closer to you and/or looking for a longer ride with a bit of climbing.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Good training ride if you live really close, not worth more than a 30 minute drive. It's kinda boring...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm just kind of burnt on my local trails and looking for something that is long enough to eat up the better part of a day. Suggestions on other places to ride are welcome. I'm in York County and am game for anything up to an hour and a half drive time away.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    york county covers some ground, but

- eastward to French Creek SP

- north to Rattling Creek (just outside Lykens PA)

- westward, there a bunch of trail in Michaux SF, find ride start locations on the Mountain Bikers of Michaux blog (google for it).

- south to Potapsco State Park just south of Baltimore, "Avalon" area

- Gambrill State Park just outside Frederick MD may also be in range

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Just remember, archery season is upon us, and you may piss a few people off depending where you ride. I know RC gets hunted, and ya may run across a few of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Michaux was on the list as well and it's pretty close. I haven't ridden there since the Ironmaster days and that was a long time ago. I'm very familiar with the area, been going to Fuller lake and camping there since I was a kid. Just not real familiar with the trails and from what I've read it's pretty easy to get "lost". Not that I have a problem with that I just don't want to screw around all day trying to find my way.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The ranger's at the office on the north side (pine grove?) have a really nice plasticized map that shows a lot of the trails.

snarfing tracks from Garmin Connect or Strava or such will show trails too.

Nickel Havr
    I second French Creek SP...

I would also suggest...
    Mt. Penn (You need a local)
    Bear Creek Mountain Resort
    Neversink Mountain
    White Clay

You could do BOTH Mt. Penn and Neversink in one day... I'd be willing to show you around too.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Speaking of Neversink, where can one find a map of those trails?
    I live in Shillington and just started riding a few months ago. Lots of climbing I assume?

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicker1 View Post
    Speaking of Neversink, where can one find a map of those trails?
    I live in Shillington and just started riding a few months ago. Lots of climbing I assume?

The map can be found here - http://berks-conservancy.org/Portals...ochure_1mb.pdf

Yeah there is plenty of climbing... But it's pretty gradual. I started MTB on Neversink back in '97 and remains one of my favorite rides.

Here is a breakdown of one of my rides... Click on "View Details" at the bottom.

Also... If you're interested I could show you around Neversink sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.
    I rode the north loop at Blue Marsh last week and that was an eye opener for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    I would only take people I really don't like to that overly long horse path.
    Ditto, horseshit everywhere, and quite boring IMO.
    Try Gretna or Camp Mack. Both great places to ride and not as far away as Blue Marsh or French Creek... Mt. Penn is also awesome.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FWIW, I really enjoy a nice "sit n hammer" ride now and then - it's a good change of pace from the normal riding I do.

I prefer to do it where cars won't kill me.

But riding through horse puckeys isn't my top of the list thing to do either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Noxamixxin Park,Quakertown,flow,turns,pump,fast! also been hitting Marsh creek.

Fossil
    A lot of us ride BM a couple times a year because it is very different from our normal stuff. The main charms are the diverse trail surfaces and the fact that you won't be repeating sections all the time. FC, MC, Nock, etc. all OK but they are different and you'll likely see some repeats. So if you're looking for non-stop tech sections and tight twisty stuff, and don't like longer endurance rides with several thousand feet of climbing, then yes you might not like BM.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    A-RAY....I heard about this Camp mack. Could I tag along on one of your rides. I should be able to keep up