Thread: Blue Marsh Lake

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Blue Marsh Lake

The gf and I made our 1st trip to Blue Marsh. I have to say it was only ok. It would have been better if not for all the piles of horse crap on the trails. I just don't understand it. People walk dogs and have to pick up their mess. Why not horse riders? I had the misfortune of riding thru one of the piles and had it splattered all over my legs. It was unavoidable. I think it's safe to say I won't be back there for a long time, if at all. I should have gone to the Moon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Agreed

Though my crew love to ride BM, we could do without all the horse crap. It makes no sense why it's OK for such a large quantity of biohazardous substance to lay on the trail. This issue is generic to every place horseback riders visit. I have no problem sharing the trail with horses (and hikers), but the feces has to go.

There's got to be a company out there that makes sh*t sacks for this type of thing. Just strap is below the horse's bum and ride on!

Sorry your first experience with BM (Blue Marsh, not [horse] bowel movement) wasn't better. It's really a fun loop--a great change for us from the usual technical pounding of French Creek, Wissahickon, Jim Thorpe, etc.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    BM is ok if your at intermediate level but will soon bore you if you spend alot of time on a bike,very little challenge,and then there is of course the horse and dog shite! there are so many more interesting and challenging places to ride in and around Reading area.

Fossil
    mtnbiker64 - just curious what part of BM you rode? Some spots see more horse use than others...

I agree about the horse crap at BM and at almost every other park we ride. It's real bad at Marsh Creek.

What I like about BM is you can get a nice long ride in and not loop back on anything; at many other locations it seems we're always twisting around in the same relatively smaller area. And I think the fact that there are not many technical features is what sets it apart - you can get plenty of technical elsewhere. We use BM as a weekend destination to get a longer workout in without having a bunch of random logs in the way - we get plenty of that during the week. Plus the diversity at BM is nice - lots of different riding surfaces through fields, woods, and some nice lake-side overlooks to boot. So for us it's a welcome break.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member

Agreed!

Miller is right on point. My friends & I love it there because of the strength & endurance it takes to complete the loop without the added technical hits we can get elsewhere. A good long ride with friends, some nice views and meeting others makes it well worth it. I only wish I lived closer. Regarding the horse crap... I am no fan of it to be sure, but question the filthiness of it in comparison to some swampy disgusting mud pots many of us have pedaled through. I do get upset however, when tires kick it up into my face or mouth! Many cities require the crap pouches, that was mentioned, under the tail to keep streets clean.

Don't discount the value of a good time on your first ride there. Twice a year some of us from Bucks County plan a group ride open to all with various fitness levels. Right now it has been a busy spring for me but still plan to get there soon! Keep an eye out-- I will post here.

Curious... are there many trees down from the snowy nor'easters last winter?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mtmiller
    mtnbiker64 - just curious what part of BM you rode? Some spots see more horse use than others...

I agree about the horse crap at BM and at almost every other park we ride. It's real bad at Marsh Creek.

What I like about BM is you can get a nice long ride in and not loop back on anything; at many other locations it seems we're always twisting around in the same relatively smaller area. And I think the fact that there are not many technical features is what sets it apart - you can get plenty of technical elsewhere. We use BM as a weekend destination to get a longer workout in without having a bunch of random logs in the way - we get plenty of that during the week. Plus the diversity at BM is nice - lots of different riding surfaces through fields, woods, and some nice lake-side overlooks to boot. So for us it's a welcome break.

Fossil
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    Curious... are there many trees down from the snowy nor'easters last winter?
    I haven't been around either of the big loops yet but where I have been I haven't seen trees over the trail. The rangers have been pretty responsive about clearing blowdown in my experience, so I'll bet the rest is pretty good too.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There are 2 trees down from winter yet, if you ride clockwise one is on the trail after mile 7 hill on the backside the other is on the shale side of the ski sloop loop.Horses are plentyful on the weekends and usely they park there trailers at justa road and church road if you start from the stillin basin and ride counter clockwise towards 183 you should not come across any but from church to justa and from justa to the boat launch chances are you will see plenty and on the ski loop

Fossil
    Are the trees ride-able or do you have to stop and carry your bike over it? If they are really in the way I'll ask the rangers to remove them.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Both are rideable going down hill, uphill is also rideable but with some skill I do not have yet.The log on the back side of mile 7 is about 24 inches wide if you stay to the right going down hill it is smaller towards the right if you try to hit it in the center it is off the ground about a foot or so the other one on the ski loop is smaller maybe 7-10 inches and off the ground and on a angle but if you stay to the left coming down the shale side it is smaller to the left and on the trail vs the center of the trail

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Blue Marsh Lake

We left from the stilling basin and did the whole loop. It isn't a bad ride but I just got sick of all the crap. Pardon the pun. I live near Valley Forge during the week, work in Morgantown, and ride French Creek. I go back home to the Hazleton area on the weekends and ride at Moon Lake, Prompton, Francis Slocum. I chose BM because the gf is just getting into mtn biking after having ridden on the rode for many years. I figured BM would be a decent but not overly technical place to take her for something different. I probably will go back sometime.

mtbr member
    What kind of elevation gain over the 23 mile loop, trying to decide if I should bring my SS or gears...

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    About "this" much

;^)

There's a couple brief spots where the climb will be pretty tough on a single, but overall I'd think you're fine.