mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blue Marsh Group Ride...Monday Memorial Day???

Would anyone be up for meeting at Blue Marsh Lake Monday morning(May 31,2004) for a ride around the lake? I would be up for a 28 mile ride on the holiday(and an excuse to miss spending the day my girlfriend's freaky family). I haven't ridden all the way around before, so it would be great to find someone who knows their way around. Anyone interested???

mtbr member

Blue Marsh

Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Would anyone be up for meeting at Blue Marsh Lake Monday morning(May 31,2004) for a ride around the lake? I would be up for a 28 mile ride on the holiday(and an excuse to miss spending the day my girlfriend's freaky family). I haven't ridden all the way around before, so it would be great to find someone who knows their way around. Anyone interested???
    I

I will see what my plans are, but I can make a few suggetions about riding the whole thing. First of all; start at the ski area and ride it ccw. This puts the water about half way around the lake. It also has some tables behind the bathrooms/water fountain to sit in the shade and eat a snack. This leaves some nice flat to finish too. Second thing is, I use a 100 oz bladder and a full bottle in the cage with power aid. Take Several power bars or cliffs or what ever, eat a little every hour. I normally ride it once in the spring and once in the fall. I would not go alone, because I went with this guy who did great till about 22 miles and he bonked...this was not so bad, because we left him near a road with a full bottle and came back for him. If he had been alone, things could have been bad.
    Good luck.

banned
    I'd be up for a ride, but not an all day affair. I'll probably end up at Camp Mack/Gamelands in Brickerville for a couple of hours unless there's another easy/medium paced ride somewhere else.

I'd love to go on a group ride, but I'm still in pathetic shape and I don't want to hold others up.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

have fun for me

I used to ride blue marsh frequently before I moved to CO in '92. Mostly in the winter, sometimes in the snow, sometimes on a Ritchey tandem. One time a bunch of animal-hatin Republican horser a-holes were having a fox hunt on horses in the fields adjacent to the lake, wearing those little black helmat/hats and red jackets and stuff like they were Prince of England or something, so our little bunch rode around in the field and totally pissed off the horsers. We kept telling them to pick on someone their own size, not cute little fox critters. Ah , good times, good times....

Inbred Homebrewer
    Crap. I wish I'd seen this post sooner, 'cos I would've gone. Went to Wissahickon instead. Maybe next time. So anyway, how was it?

Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member

New question here. How does it compare?

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    I used to ride blue marsh frequently before I moved to CO in '92. Mostly in the winter, sometimes in the snow, sometimes on a Ritchey tandem. One time a bunch of animal-hatin Republican horser a-holes were having a fox hunt on horses in the fields adjacent to the lake, wearing those little black helmat/hats and red jackets and stuff like they were Prince of England or something, so our little bunch rode around in the field and totally pissed off the horsers. We kept telling them to pick on someone their own size, not cute little fox critters. Ah , good times, good times....
    bulC, I became a rebellious teenager in the Blue Marsh area, for legal reasons, I can't get into the details I've never ridden the trail, but have ridden many a mile in the of Colorado, now getting most of my miles in the Four Corners area. I may be heading back to Reading and am considering riding Blue Marsh, I keep hearing about how tough it is. How do you think in compares to Colorado riding, something moderatly tough, like The Edge in Fruita or maybe a some of the CO Trail rides?