Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Blue Marsh Enduro October 27, 2007

Gentlemen: it appears we have a nice handful of guys planning to ride at Blue Marsh on the 27th! Right now our list includes John W, Steve H, Nate K, Josh K, Buzzhog & his friend Dave?, nHurD & his friend Bob?, Jeff W, Stick and Trekmike. This is an open invitation to anyone interested. Just let us know your intent on this thread.

We plan to leave Bucks County around 0600-0630 hours at a meeting place to be announced. We will need to work out transportation and bike racks with consideration for those that may have to bail at the halfway point. So, if someone needs to leave, it will be important that the right vehicles are placed at the halfway point. We will begin at the Church Road parking area and stop at the Stilling Basin to refill water & eat before completing the ride. We will have to leave cars at the stilling Basin to store our water and supplies before completing the ride. Those not wanting to pedal the whole thing can leave from the Stilling Basin. This is a mixed group of fitness & skill levels. Everyone will have somebody to ride with!

Things to consider for those not having done this ride before:
    1. water is important. Do not ration your water, bring plenty to stay hydrated and refill at the Stilling Basin. In cooler temperatures a 70oz Camelbak and two bottles are sufficient with the ability to refill. We may need a few large water coolers so everyone can refill.
    2. carbohydrate foods. Eat a good breakfast. Keep eating on the trail at least hourly to maintain your energy levels. Bring something very digestable for lunch and then something for the post ride recovery. Some find energy drinks helpful, but pure water is critical.
    3. proper attire. Who knows what the weather will be. Thankfully, we most likely will not get wet on this ride but bring extra socks just in case. Bring a change of clothes for after the ride. If it is cool, you may want a wind breaker & full golves.
    4. mechanical. Please make sure your bike is in good shape. Get it tuned up if necessary making sure your derailers are working correctly and brakes will stop your bike on the hills. Ride the bike after you get it back from the shop just to make sure it is right! Also, you will need tubes, pump or Co2 and other simple tools. However, with this many people someone will probably have what you need.
    5. simple first aid. Carry some stuff to solve those minor injuries that can haunt you for the rest of the ride.
    Obvioulsy this is open forum. Please post all questions, concerns & ideas on this thread.
    Here is some feedback from people that have done Blue Marsh: Blue Marsh: detailed trail map
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-15-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Sounds good, Mike. One thought -

Last time I rode BM with you, nhurd, et al, there were some (minor) gripes about the Stilling Basin rest stop not being as close to the ride's true midpoint as it could have been.

To that end, you could park the cache/bail cars at the State Hill boat ramp & parking area instead (~ 2.5 - 3 mi past Stilling Basin if going clockwise from Church Rd.).

$0.02. Personally? I don't mind one way or the other.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    After the past couple of weeks that I've had, I could certainly go for a nice, long ride!

With that said, I may or may not have my car, but if I do, I should have an extra tray available for transporting a bike. My roommate (Bob) said he'd go, and I didn't get a chance to ask my friend, Steve (StrangerSteve), if he was willing to go either...
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Hmmm... no matter to me.

I discussed this informally with Steve H after the ride last May. He thought that having the stopping point a little before the half way point was nice because we can regroup, eat & hydrate before becoming more dispersed, famished and dehydrated. I thought stopping at that point was a little too soon also. You are an expert at BM therefore your suggestion carries some weight. I'd be glad to hear from others and make changes as necessary. Doing another three miles is probably a better deal. But how much more inconvenient will transportation back and forth be to set this up?

Another thought, bankofdad reminded me that there will be hunters out that weekend (bow season maybe). While he didn't think the risk was great we might want to wear bright clothes.

Great to have you on board Joe!
    Jon, I know you have car problems, but there are plenty of folks going that can help you out. My pick-up can take four bikes on a rack plus supplies in the bed. There is a bench seat in the rear cab for passengers too. We will have a better idea on this stuff as people chime in on the discussion...
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-15-2007 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Aww crap - PMBA trail maintenance is also on the 27th. Have a good ride folks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jon (nHurD) gave me a heads up about the ride. I definately plan on being there.

I figure it will be a good way to break-in my new Kona Hoss...

mtbr member
    I'd like to make this ride too.

Bob
    I'm just a regular guy...
    A regular hardworking motivated complicated occasionally pissed-off t-shirt guy
    - Lance Armstrong

Rat Fink
    What, exactly, is the ride? Once around the lake? Twice around the lake? 25 hrs?
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

mtbr member

The ride is...

once around the lake minus the ski slope. Should be around 23 miles. Some of us old guys can only do it once! Ha! But there will be plenty of riders in their 20's going on this ride too.

Quote Originally Posted by mbmojo
    What, exactly, is the ride? Once around the lake? Twice around the lake? 25 hrs?

mtbr member
    Sounds GREAT... Im Pumped.. im up for anything!!!

mtbr member

Transportation

We need to start talking about transportation and bike racks so we have an idea before we meet next Saturday. It has been suggested that we meet at the Bensalem Lowes parking lot because there is an entrance ramp onto the turnpike right there. Any extra vehicles can be left there for pick-up on our return. Please chime in if you have a car available and bike rack so we can figure some of this out beforehand. Also, if you have water coolers that you can bring, let us know.As suggested by Stick, we will use the State Hill Boat ramp as the half way point instead of the Stilling Basin.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    We need to start talking about transportation and bike racks so we have an idea before we meet next Saturday. It has been suggested that we meet at the Bensalem Lowes parking lot because there is an entrance ramp onto the turnpike right there. Any extra vehicles can be left there for pick-up on our return. Please chime in if you have a car available and bike rack so we can figure some of this out beforehand. Also, if you have water coolers that you can bring, let us know.As suggested by Stick, we will use the State Hill Boat ramp as the half way point instead of the Stilling Basin.
    Mike - FYI,

In response to your earlier post, it's easy to get to State Hill to drop off cars. Assuming you remember how to get from the Church Rd Lot to the Stilling Basin lot (i.e. PA 183 to R on Palisades Rd) - just stay on Palisades Rd until you hit Reber's Bridge Rd. Turn Right on Reber's Bridge, then make a right when you see the State Hill entrance. Follow the entrance rd down to the parking lot by the lake.

Regarding transportation... I was planning on meeting you at BM/Church Rd, since driving to lowes first involves driving in the opposite direction from my house, then back again, and adds ~ 20 miles to my trip in each direction. That said - if you find yourself really stuck for lack of bike space, I'll probably have at least 2 empty spots on my rack. We can work something out by e-mail if it comes to that.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member

I figured that..

I figured you would just meet us there like you did last time. If we have a problem with bikes someone can arrange to meet you over your way, perhaps. I hope to solve the problem here.

And thanks for the directions to State Hill. That was good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Mike - FYI,

In response to your earlier post, it's easy to get to State Hill to drop off cars. Assuming you remember how to get from the Church Rd Lot to the Stilling Basin lot (i.e. PA 183 to R on Palisades Rd) - just stay on Palisades Rd until you hit Reber's Bridge Rd. Turn Right on Reber's Bridge, then make a right when you see the State Hill entrance. Follow the entrance rd down to the parking lot by the lake.

Regarding transportation... I was planning on meeting you at BM/Church Rd, since driving to lowes first involves driving in the opposite direction from my house, then back again, and adds ~ 20 miles to my trip in each direction. That said - if you find yourself really stuck for lack of bike space, I'll probably have at least 2 empty spots on my rack. We can work something out by e-mail if it comes to that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would be in for this. I'm looking for a point of reference on how long this ride actually is. I can do a full loop of the Wissahickon, which I've been told is around 20 miles. How does this ride compare?

I can fit my bike and crap in the back of my jeep and put my rack on the back to fit 2 bikes. I can only drive one other person with the back seat down though.

Where in bucks county are we looking at meeting. That might be a decent distance out of the way coming from southern montgomery county.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squads
    I would be in for this. I'm looking for a point of reference on how long this ride actually is. I can do a full loop of the Wissahickon, which I've been told is around 20 miles. How does this ride compare?

I can fit my bike and crap in the back of my jeep and put my rack on the back to fit 2 bikes. I can only drive one other person with the back seat down though.

Where in bucks county are we looking at meeting. That might be a decent distance out of the way coming from southern montgomery county.
    The ride is around 23 miles I'm told and it shouldn't be technical like the Wiss, but it has some tough climbs.

The Lowe's trekmike is referring to is in lower Bucks County about a mile above the Philly/Bucks County line. It is right off exit 351 of the PA turnpike and Rt 1/ Roosevelt Blvd. It is also adjacent to the Neshaminy Mall and AMC Neshaminy 24 Movie Theatre.

I can fit 2 bikes on my bike rack, so I would be able to take one other person if need be.

Bob
    I'm just a regular guy...
    A regular hardworking motivated complicated occasionally pissed-off t-shirt guy
    - Lance Armstrong

mtbr member
    Squads, the trail is not very technical at all, but it is most certainly an endurance play. We plan to do the 23 mile loop only because we have different ages, fitness levels and skill levels. Stick has done the 23 miles and then added the ski slope making it 30 some miles. Earlier in this thread I posted a link to some messages last March that can give you an idea of what the ride is like. If you can do the Wiss, you can do BM. I expect we will be back around 1800hrs or so. If the Neshaminy Mall is out of your way, you may consider talking to Stick. He is in the lower Montgomery County area (but check with him). But let us know if you plan to meet at the turnpike @ Lowes, Bensalem. We should meet at 0600 and hit the road by 0630hrs.
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-19-2007 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Transportation:

So far this is what I got...
    passengers include the driver...

John W-- mini-van 6 passengers and 4 bikes
    trekmike-- pick-up 4 passengers and 4 bikes
    rfm137-- auto 2 passengers and 2 bikes
    nHurD-- auto not sure yet
    squads-- auto 2 passengers and two bikes
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-19-2007 at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I should be able to meet at said location. Its not too far out of the way. Like I said earlier, besides my bike and me I can take 1 person and 2 bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What time you guys figure you'll be at Church RD?

Just a heads up if anyone plans on the Ski slope loop, there are a few trees down, one is built up and ridable and one is sorta a bush wack and another has a go around. Also if you plan to do the entire loop, I'd suggest the Ski Slope loop first, cause not many feel compelled to do it after the lower 23. Although IMHO it is the toughest and most fun section.

Enjoy, Mike

out of shape
    can someone show where this is on google maps, id like to see an aerial view
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I should have my car by tomorrow evening, but all three of my trays will be used up for other riders.....
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

mtbr member

Church Road

0800-0830

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker

Just a heads up if anyone plans on the Ski slope loop, there are a few trees down, one is built up and ridable and one is sorta a bush wack and another has a go around. Also if you plan to do the entire loop, I'd suggest the Ski Slope loop first, cause not many feel compelled to do it after the lower 23. Although IMHO it is the toughest and most fun section.

Enjoy, Mike

mtbr member

Church Road

0800-0830

Enjoy, Mike

mtbr member

Church Road

0800-0830

Enjoy, Mike

mtbr member

Church Road

0800-0830

Enjoy, Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast