Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Blue Marsh Enduro- October 25, 2008

Gentlemen:

We seem to have a strong tentative date of October 25th for our group ride at BM.

If anyone is interested, as in the past, please leave a post. We can discuss rides and drop off points later on. Looking forward to see you all again!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm interested. What's the plan?

mtbr member

Basic Plan:

We leave Lower Bucks County around 0600 hrs, arrange drop-off vehicles for food and water at midpoint and for those that may have to bail. Shuttle to Church Road and hit the trail (hopefully) by 0800. We ride clockwise and aim to be home by 1700-1800 hrs at the latest. Unless Stick wants to do the big slope, we plan to do the 23 miles around the lake.
    A large group typically breaks down to small groups by fitness level & and skill-- however, no one is left behind, regardless!

See the following links from past rides for interesting dialogue and information.

May 2007: Blue Marsh Enduro May 12, 2007
    Detailed Map: Blue Marsh: detailed trail map
    October 2007: Blue Marsh Enduro October 27, 2007
    May 2008: Blue Marsh Enduro: May 10, 2008

So far we have a small list of tentative participants:

trekmike
    nHurD
    Stick
    Jeff W.
    John W.
    Sal?? (looking good)
    Krone (same above)
    Seve H.
    Stacey H.
    elephant
    tduro
    NateK+1
    JoshK+1
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-01-2008 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm in.

mtbr member

transport

Will you need transportation w/ us or meet us there? Also, if you have any support materiel please let us know so there is not too much duplication or on the other hand miss something altogether! If however, you are prepared to support yourself at the halfway point that is fine too!

Great to hear you are on board! Bringing anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    I'm in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've done that loop a few times, most recently just a couple weeks ago. We started at the Stilling Basin and went CCW, so we couldn't even take advantage of Visitor Center water. I like the idea of having food and water stashed along the way.

I live nearby, so I'm very familiar with the trails. I'd be happy to help with the stashing of vehicles/supplies, shuttling, etc.

There are plenty of suitable stash points along the way. I'm not sure which ones you're familiar with, but I can offer some good suggestions if need be.

Sounds like fun!
    Tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I will drive there myself. I am coming from Upper Bucks. I would appreciate the sharing of water. I am happy to bring some post-ride food and drink in my car to share after the ride.

mtbr member

Preparation

We plan to meet at the Lowes parking lot by the Neshaminy Mall because it has a turnpike ramp to the tolls right there. Figure on hitting the road by 0600-0615 hrs. I am guessing we can be at Church Road between 0800-0830. If anyone needs to contact others to arrange meeting at State Hill or Church Rd, we can exchange phone numbers on a PM. We will drive out to BM and drop off food & water at the State Hill parking area and then shuttle up to Church Rd to start. We need to plan for someone to be available to remain at State Hill at the lunch break (or maybe everyone can wait as a group) for the folks pulling up the rear so they can have access to food & water too, assuming they cache it there.

If you are driving separately, please figure your supplies for the half way point. I will be bringing extra water to leave at State Hill & will have my lunch food there as well. Additional stuff needs to be available at Church Road too for the finish.

If you have not done this before and you have questions, please post here or send me a message.
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-04-2008 at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sorry I don't think I will be able to make it that weekend. I have a 5k scheduled that Sunday. I think a 22 miler the day before might effect my finish time in the race. If I anything changes and I can be there I will be. Id like to try Blue Marsh with a fully functional bike.

Inbred Homebrewer
    are we there yet?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member

I'm ready!

Hope for better weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    are we there yet?

mtbr member

The game is still on!

So, get your things together and ready to go for the 25th!

mtbr member

Arrangements:

For those attending this ride and planning to meet us at Lowes, please let everyone know here, or in e-mail so we can get an idea for cars, bike racks and stuff.

psu cycling
    Jun 2007
    Is there someone around there where you can camp?

mtbr member

check these...

I don't think so.

http://www.recreation.gov/recAreaDet...agencyCode=130

http://www.berksweb.com/marsh.html

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...cfm?Id=E501780

Quote Originally Posted by asmxxiv
    Is there someone around there where you can camp?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    the weather is not looking so good for Sat. why does this always happen the weekensd i can always go? can i suggest doing a alternative ride in the area that is maybe a smaller ride? that way we don't travel all the way out there just to turn around on the road or trail. let me know what you think.
    GAS SUCKS
    RIDE A BIKE

Inbred Homebrewer

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by nmkorpi
    the weather is not looking so good for Sat. why does this always happen the weekensd i can always go? can i suggest doing a alternative ride in the area that is maybe a smaller ride? that way we don't travel all the way out there just to turn around on the road or trail. let me know what you think.
    Another trekmike ride in jeopardy thanks to impending rain?

Getting to be like death and taxes!

The options, as I see 'em, are:

1. Commit now to a rain-or-shine ride and save hours of agonizing indecision a la last fall. It's been dry enough lately that a little rain between now & tomorrow morning is not going to make the entire trail an unstable bog. Inclement weather and hours of suffering build character, anyway.

2. Re-schedule the ride for Sunday. Forecast looks much better.

or

3. Call the whole thing off (again).

Personally, I'm open to any of the above - but a consensus needs to be reached ASAP to minimize the impact on everyone's weekend plans.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Agreed. although I hate being cold and wet...
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

mtbr member

Rain Again!

Well, it doesn't look good for tomorrow at all. Between being a wet & cold day, doesn't make many very happy. I have had several bail out on this already and I recommend the same for such a long ride like Blue Marsh. I think most will likely be miserable on a ride like that.

I can manage a Sunday ride at Pennypack if you prefer. Those interested can just show up or follow up on their pre-existing plans for the weekend. If everyone's Sunday is booked, that is fine too because I am still nursing a sore tendon.

So..... shall we call it off for BM and hit something local on Sunday afternoon (early)? Stick, is Pennypack convenient enough for you? The weather will be better on Sunday.

Next fall we should do this in September or early October. Otherwise, look forward to the spring for the group ride!
    Last edited by trekmike; 10-24-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Inbred Homebrewer
    no pennypack for me. sorry, mike. too far to drive for what it is.

I'm thinking that I'll probably just take the roadbike out for a long spin through the hills instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I could possibly be up for a ride on Sunday @ Pennypack. I found a few more trails to extend out the ride, but that all depends on if my usual Road Ride is still on, which I haven't heard anything today about it, so I'm guessing it's not on....

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    Well, it doesn't look good for tomorrow at all.
    Next fall we should do this in September or early October. Otherwise, look forward to the spring for the group ride!
    FYI - I took last week off, and decided to hit Blue Marsh on Wednesday for a solo lap. Conditions were PERFECT. It was overcast all day, but never rained a drop. I decided to do the ski area loop (between miles 15 and 22) first so that I couldn't take the easy way out and skip it at the end.

I think I'll be going this way in the future too, because it's nice having fresh legs for the big climb at ~ mi. 18, and it's also a good way to warm up before doing the stretch between church rd. and the stilling basin.

Saw a few hunters along the way, and a really big buck. No riders.

Also worth mentioning: There is now a vending machine at the State Hill restroom that dispenses soda and gatorade.

I finished the 30 mi loop in a liesurely-but-respectable 03:45:00 and felt really strong toward the finish. Perhaps a testament to hill training on the road bike (or not having to stop & regroup at the top of every hill! )

A couple random pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (341.1 KB, 112 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (294.8 KB, 109 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (209.7 KB, 106 views)

mtbr member
    Geezz Joe, make the rest of us feel bad! Nice shots by the way.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    Geezz Joe, make the rest of us feel bad! Nice shots by the way.
    ahh, c'mon... all in good fun, Mike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I finished the 30 mi loop in a liesurely-but-respectable 03:45:00 and felt really strong toward the finish. Perhaps a testament to hill training on the road bike (or not having to stop & regroup at the top of every hill! )
    There is much to be said about hill training. It's definitely helped my performance over the years. With that said, I need to find some bigger hills: Jericho "mountain" is getting too easy for me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast