Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Blue Marsh Enduro: May 10, 2008

Gentlemen & (women too this time): it appears we have a nice handful of guys planning to ride at Blue Marsh on May 10th. Right now our list includes John W, Steve H, Nate K, Josh K, nHurD & Strangersteve?, Jeff W, Stick and Trekmike. This is an open invitation to anyone interested. Just let us know your intent on this thread! A few changes were made after suggestions last year. Additional suggestions are welcome.

We plan to leave Bucks County around 0600-0630 hours at a meeting place to be announced. We will need to work out transportation and bike racks with consideration for those that may have to bail at the halfway point. So, if someone needs to leave, it will be important that the right vehicles are placed at the halfway point. We will begin at the Church Road parking area and stop at the State Hill Boat ramp to refill water & eat before completing the ride. We will have to leave cars at State Hill to store our water and supplies before completing the ride. Those not wanting to pedal the whole thing can leave from State Hill. This is a mixed group of fitness & skill levels; and we tentatively have a few women planning the trip also! Everyone will have somebody to ride with! I have trail maps for those that want them.

Things to consider for those not having done this ride before:

1. water is important. Do not ration your water, bring plenty to stay hydrated and refill at State Hill. In cooler temperatures a 70oz Camelbak and two bottles are sufficient with the ability to refill. We may need a few large water coolers so everyone can refill.
    2. carbohydrate foods. Eat well the night before and have a high quality breakfast. Keep eating on the trail at least hourly to maintain your energy levels. Bring something very digestable for lunch and then something for the post ride recovery. Some find energy drinks helpful, but pure water is critical.
    3. proper attire. Who knows what the weather will be. Thankfully, we most likely will not get wet on this ride but bring extra socks just in case. Bring a change of clothes for after the ride. If it is cool, you may want a wind breaker & full golves. Do you have comfortable biking shorts?
    4. mechanical. Please make sure your bike is in good shape. Get it tuned up if necessary making sure your derailers are working correctly, especially your lower gears; get your brakes serviced too. You will need them on the downhills. Ride the bike after you get it back from the shop just to make sure it is right! Also, you will need tubes, pump or Co2 and other simple tools. However, with this many people someone will probably have what you need.
    5. simple first aid. Carry some stuff to solve those minor injuries that can haunt you for the rest of the ride.
    6. got a camera?

Obvioulsy this is open forum. Please post all questions, concerns & ideas on this thread.
    Here is some feedback from people that have done Blue Marsh:

Blue Marsh Enduro October 27, 2007 (October 2007 rained out but we had about 12 riders ready to go)

Blue Marsh Enduro May 12, 2007 (May 2007)

Blue Marsh: detailed trail map (discussion & trail ride description from Stick)
    Last edited by trekmike; 04-08-2008 at 08:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just did the loop yesterday, a few trees down on the lower loop and alot down on the ski slope loop. Should be open by May though. I hope to get in and work on the ski slope this week or next. I'd inquire closer to Ride Day just to be sure, I ride there almost weekly. Enjoy!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm very interested but just realized this is Mothers Day weekend. Any chance of changing the date?

mtbr member
    We have a handful of folks counting on the 10th at this point. We would be glad to have you along. Can you see your mommy on Sunday?

mtbr member

Tentative list:

Here is a tentative list of participants thus far...

* indicates attendance last year.

trekmike*
    steveh *
    johnw
    jeffw *
    staceyh
    justin ?
    nHurD*
    StrangerSteve
    beckyp-- ?
    ann-- ?
    stick *
    rfm
    joshk +3
    buzzhog +1
    matt-- ?
    natek--?
    squads
    elephant
    ?
    Last edited by trekmike; 04-08-2008 at 02:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would be down for this. I wanted to go last October, but as you know we got a pretty bad rain storm.

mtbr member

Ambiguity?

I was wondering when you would chime in! Your comment is not clear, you "would be"... is that yes, no or let me check w/ the woman?

Quote Originally Posted by squads
    I would be down for this. I wanted to go last October, but as you know we got a pretty bad rain storm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am officially a maybe. I will see a doctor on Thursday who may tell me no riding for awhile. If I am physically cleared to ride I think I will come.

How slow will the slowest group be?

mtbr member

Slow enough

A few that have not done this before and may use the half way point to bail if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    I am officially a maybe. I will see a doctor on Thursday who may tell me no riding for awhile. If I am physically cleared to ride I think I will come.

How slow will the slowest group be?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    I was wondering when you would chime in! Your comment is not clear, you "would be"... is that yes, no or let me check w/ the woman?
    That ambiguity is lingering doubt from last October's rain out manifesting itself. Count me in. That is barring another monsoon rain storm of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That ambiguity is lingering doubt from last October's rain out manifesting itself. Count me in. That is barring another monsoon rain storm of course.
    Well, I think we'd all bag the ride if it were to rain substantially
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

mtbr member

No rain, please!

Last October, Squads, you were going to bring a partner? What is your count and will you be meeting us for the drive out there or meet us @ Church Rd? If you plan to hook up w/ us do you have cargo space & a bike rack?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Trekmike If I can make it I can show others short cuts that take out some of the hills and lower the mileage if they are not up to doing the main loop.If you start from church road will you be heading in a clockwise direction or counter clockwise.The one short cut is at the state hill boat ramp it will bring you out to justa road you will miss mile markers 3 through 9 ,The other short cut is at lake road which will that you to church road ,and the last one is at marker 25 you can cut through the farm roads to get over to palisades drive and skip markers 25-28

mtbr member

That would be great!

We have some newbies that are a little apprehensive and would probably be relieved with such short cuts; and since I am nursing an injury for the last few months, I may need it too!
    I hope you can come.

Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad
    Trekmike If I can make it I can show others short cuts that take out some of the hills and lower the mileage if they are not up to doing the main loop.If you start from church road will you be heading in a clockwise direction or counter clockwise.The one short cut is at the state hill boat ramp it will bring you out to justa road you will miss mile markers 3 through 9 ,The other short cut is at lake road which will that you to church road ,and the last one is at marker 25 you can cut through the farm roads to get over to palisades drive and skip markers 25-28

mtbr member

Logistics

To all interested parties, we need to begin discussion of transportation, available bike racks, additional water coolers and who may want to leave a vehicle at the half way point.

Many of us are coming from Bucks County, so I am suggesting that we meet at the Lowes of the Neshaminy Mall for easy access to the turnpike. We should meet between 0600-0630 and plan to hit the trail head by 0830 after dropping off the necessary cars.

To begin, I have a pick-up that can carry supplies in the bed & a rack that holds four bikes. I can take four passengers comfortably, more if needed.

We need to have some idea about this now because I will be in Moab, UT between April 30 and May 6.

Here is a tentative list of participants thus far...

* indicates attendance last year.

trekmike*
    steveh *
    johnw
    jeffw *
    staceyh
    justin ?
    nHurD*
    StrangerSteve
    beckyp-- ?
    ann-- ?
    stick *
    rfm
    joshk +3
    buzzhog +1
    matt-- ?
    natek--?
    squads
    elephant
    ?
    bruce r-- ?
    Last edited by trekmike; 04-26-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Inbred Homebrewer
    To all interested parties, we need to begin discussion of transportation, available bike racks, additional water coolers and who may want to leave a vehicle at the half way point.

Many of us are coming from Bucks County...
    Coming from the new house, so I won't be anywhere near the Neshaminy mall or the turnpike. I'm taking 309 > 78 > 222. Room for one or two extra bikes & riders if anyone needs a lift from Upper Bucks.

I'll meet everyone at Church Rd @ 8:30.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Many of us are coming from Bucks County, so I am suggesting that we meet at the Lowes of the Neshaminy Mall for easy access to the turnpike. We should meet between 0600-0630 and plan to hit the trail head by 0830 after dropping off the necessary cars.

To begin, I have a pick-up that can carry supplies in the bed & a rack that holds four bikes. I can take four passengers comfortably, more if needed.

We need to have some idea about this now because I will be in Moab, UT between April 30 and May 6.

I have room on my rack for one extra bike if I wind up driving: I'll probably have my bike and StrangerSteve's bike. I should also be able to take one extra person: With gear and everything, I may have to put one of the back seats down, and even that may prove to be a bit of a cramped ride for a 3rd passenger

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Last October, Squads, you were going to bring a partner? What is your count and will you be meeting us for the drive out there or meet us @ Church Rd? If you plan to hook up w/ us do you have cargo space & a bike rack?
    I am running solo this year. Where is the meeting point again? I live down in Philly now, but I think I could just run up I-95 to meet at your guys spot. I will have room for a passenger and two other bikes.

mtbr member

Lowes parking lot

Meeting at Lowes near the Neshaminy Mall is convenient because it has an entrance ramp that takes us directly to the toll plaza.

Ok, so you can handle three bikes?

If anyone wants e-mail updates send me a private message w/ your address and I will add you to the list.

I am running solo this year. Where is the meeting point again? I live down in Philly now, but I think I could just run up I-95 to meet at your guys spot. I will have room for a passenger and two other bikes.
    Last edited by trekmike; 04-10-2008 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Meeting at Lowes near the Neshaminy Mall is convenient because it has an entrance ramp that takes us directly to the toll plaza.

Ok, so you can handle three bikes?

If anyone wants e-mail updates send me a private message w/ your address and I will add you to the list.
    Yeah I can take 3 bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I may be away that weekend for Mom's Day but...

if I am coming I will want to meet at the ride start location. Can someone post a Google Maps screen shot of where that is?

Thanks.

mtbr member

See place points

Church Road is the starting trailhead. State Hill parking is the cache point. Disregard the yellow point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trekmike; 04-16-2008 at 05:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Count me in on the Blue Marsh enduro......... i will most likely drive myself to starting trail head at Church road

mtbr member

Attendance:

trekmike*
    steveh *
    johnw
    jeffw *
    staceyh
    nHurD*
    StrangerSteve
    beckyp
    ann-- ?
    stick *
    rfm
    joshk +3
    buzzhog +1
    matt-- ?
    natek--?
    squads
    elephant ?
    trailard27
    richardf
    sal e
    bruce r
    Last edited by trekmike; 04-26-2008 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    so we've got 10 definite riders now? nice!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast