mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blue Marsh dry out time?

So after all this rain how long will it take Blue Marsh to dry out? I was hoping to go next weekend and ride 2 laps around the lake. If we don't get any more significant rain between now and next weekend do you think it will be dry enough to try a 60 to 65 mile ride there? I am putting a lot of road miles on to get in shape for the wilderness 101 in State College at the end of July. This is good for my fitness but I would like to get a few long rides on the mountain bike before the race and thought Blue Marsh would be a good place to do it.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by PaMtbRider
    So after all this rain how long will it take Blue Marsh to dry out? I was hoping to go next weekend and ride 2 laps around the lake. If we don't get any more significant rain between now and next weekend do you think it will be dry enough to try a 60 to 65 mile ride there?
    Depends a lot on the weather. A solid week of 85F - 90F should be enough to dry most of it out. There will probably still be a few muddy spots on the doubletrack between the Stilling Basin and State Hill parking areas, and possibly some of the low-lying and shady areas out by Church Rd and the ski area.

Carry as much water as you possibly can. Have fun!
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Hmmm

As of 6pm today RT183 and the roads around the lake were still closed. So I am assuming they are still holding water until the Schuylkill River in Reading gets back under control. My guess is that parts of the trail are still under water. Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, thanks for the info. That doesn't sound too encouraging for a ride anytime soon. Maybe I'll have to try a long ride somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Closed till at least July 9th

Per park ranger this AM. Will post as a new thread above.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a friend that lives next to the lake; there are still large portions of the trails under at least 6 - 8 feet of water. It's not just a matter of the trails drying out; they have to empty the water out of the lake but can't let too much out in fear of having more flooding on the Schuylkill River in Reading.

I would say July 9th might be a little optimistic for having the whole trail around the lake open. But, once the lake is drained low enough to uncover the trails it does dry out pretty quickly.

Earlier in the year a section of trails north of church Rd along 183 was under about a foot of water when we road there. The next week it had dried out and you would have never known there was any water. This same section was still under about 6 feet of water yesterday.

-Doug

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dajones13
    ... This same section was still under about 6 feet of water yesterday.
    Wow, thats a lot of freakin water. Marsh CreekWas up a couple feet last saturday, but it only covered a little bit of one of the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Besides just drying out there might be an issue with them being clear. There was alot of a debris floating around on the lake and I'm talking whole trees not just logs.