Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Blue Marsh conditions

How wet is blue marsh right now? Any one know if it will be ok to ride there later this weak?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was just there today,monday afternoon the trails are fine except for the few mud holes that take awhile to dry out,rode from justa over to church and back, hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No problems today. Getting dusty again, with just the normal soft spots. Generally a fast tread and completely rideable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I Rode it for the 1st time today. What a pretty good workout. My brother had the great idea of doing the whole loop. I was hurting with 7 miles left. Good time though I need to be better prepaired. Nice trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    my brother rides this all the time and said it was fine. He informed me that it was good ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Did anyone ride Blue Marsh today? I'm thinking of heading out there tomorrow and was wondering how well this wind has dried up the recent rains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I rode it today. Muddy in the low spots.

mtbr member
    Just a heads up...there's a good sized tree (not passable) down on the steep descent just before the old ski area headed north ...just beyond mile mark 17...
    Last edited by cdrush; 12-30-2009 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdrush
    Just a heads up...there's a good sized tree (not passable) down on the steep descent just before the old ski area headed north ...just beyond mile mark 17...
    Not passable, or just not rideable? I mean, did you have to turn around and go back?

mtbr member
    not ridable is a better choice of words...just a heads up because you are carrying a lot of speed at that spot if descending.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think I'm heading to Blue Marsh tomorrow, first time there. Bringing the girlfriend, who is basically a beginner. She's ridden a few times at Jordan Creek in Allentown and fared ok, but that was months ago.

Has anyone been there the last couple days, or today? I'm assuming it's fairly muddy, will it be more difficult?

Also, I was thinking of doing an out-and-back, maybe 10-15 miles total. Any rec's on where to start?

mtbr member
    Much or all of the trail will be snow and ice covered still. The small sections that are not covered will be total slop. The nearby Tulpehocken creek canal path was snow covered as of Thursday. Even right after it melts it will be so soft for a few weeks that any riding will be very damaging to the trail. I am wanting to ride at the lake as much as anyone but it is not ready!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Damn. Well thanks for the info, glad I didn't just drive down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Unfortunately Rush is right. In a typical non-snowy year, Blue Marsh doesn't fully dry out
    until mid Spring. I can't imagine how long it will take this year. We need a couple solid weeks of above average temps, plenty of sunshine, and some windy days to help dry things out. It would also be nice if the horseback riders would use a little common sense
    and stay off the trails for a little while.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Blue Marsh might not be an ideal testing ground for your beginner girlfriend. The continuous rooty, rocky hills can kill confidence.

I learned this lesson the hard way two years ago when I took my girlfriend, a step up from beginner, out there. Of course we did the full loop; maybe an out-and-back of a more moderate distance would be less discouraging.

Either way, have fun...and wait for a perfect late spring/early summer day.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    i know it's not close but Raystown Lake has a bunch of beginner friendly trail.

Blue Marsh may not be horrid if you start maybe from the Church rd side and stay away from the hills.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Blue Marsh Beginner

Just my thoughts from introducing several friends and my daughter to the sport of mtbing....Try starting at State Hill boat launch lower parking lot and ride over to the Stilling basin or vice versa,and depending on how she feels you can then go a little farther on a nice gravel path over to Gring's Mill Park, or hang a left at the entrance to the gravel path and continue on the trail which will go all the way around the lake.Tons of other options,but that is a nice intro which I found people liked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I say fly a plane right to the bottom of 7 mile hill and start'em off there!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    7 mile hill......doesn't sound like a Sunday cruise. Rmagda, I think I'll head over there alone for the first go ahead to see how things look. Out and back was what i was what I was thinking too. We've gotta build up so I can bring her to Bear Creek with me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kyusslvpa
    7 mile hill......doesn't sound like a Sunday cruise. Rmagda, I think I'll head over there alone for the first go ahead to see how things look. Out and back was what i was what I was thinking too. We've gotta build up so I can bring her to Bear Creek with me.
    Yeah- Bear Creek will be quite a jump in terms of technical from Blue Marsh. Don't rush her though- she will just end up hating it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    haha It's true. My bad, my half-sarcasm comes through weak on the internet. She really isn't a fan of adrenaline-producing obstacles in general. We are still working on the more challenging parts of Jordan Creek Park.

And hating it? It hasn't gotten to that point, but there have been a few tantrums, mostly due to sitting in traffic on the way. I think the key is keeping the pressure to a minimum, the wrecks to a minimum, and perhaps buying some knee and elbow pads for a little confidence boost this year.

Hopefully Blue Marsh dries up soon, looking forward to finally getting there. Damn participation!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The good news is with daylight savings time the bikevmb.com Tuesday night rides should be starting up pretty soon and there is a strong core of women riders who do women-only events to encourage more riding. Be sure to check it out!

mtbr member
    I was very surprised this week but...Blue Marsh is in really good shape!

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Any idea on how well the trail around Blue Marsh drains after a rain?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Way to bring back and old thread. I'm sitting here in CO thinking about how much I miss east cost singletrack. Blue Marsh is at the top of my list of places I love to hit when I get the chance to to back east.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast