mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Blue Marsh Checklist for Friday...

Hey all!

I am heading out to Blue Marsh this Friday.

I used to live in PA (I live in NJ now) but used to hit BM a couple of years ago.

I am preparing for a trip out West (St. George, UT) and thought the distance, climbing opportunities and the lack of technical obstacles makes Blue Marsh a GREAT training opportunity.

So I need some feedback-
    1.) Is the trail still well-marked? I remember a few spots where "side trails" veered off the main trail and didn't clearly state which way was which
    2.) My plan is to start from Stilling Basin but have a supply bag dropped off at Church Road that will have a spare tube, lunch and water (since I will be doing this solo). Any foreseeable problems with that? I will have a lock on the cooler.
    3.) Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks All!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Uphill hater
    Just rode there this past weekend. didn't do the whole loop because we didn't have the time. trails are still well marked and were in great shape.

sounds like you have it covered with supplies, should be a good day to do it!
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses
    So I need some feedback-
    1.) Is the trail still well-marked? I remember a few spots where "side trails" veered off the main trail and didn't clearly state which way was which
    2.) My plan is to start from Stilling Basin but have a supply bag dropped off at Church Road that will have a spare tube, lunch and water (since I will be doing this solo). Any foreseeable problems with that? I will have a lock on the cooler.
    3.) Anything else I am forgetting?

Thanks All!

1) It's no better marked now than it ever has been (nor is it any worse). *Most* of those 'side trails' either dead-end into the lake, or they meet back up with the 'main' trail. There are some exceptions, most notably around mile 11 (+/-?) where there are some loop trails through open fields. Do your best to follow the multi-use trail markers, and keep an eye on the mile posts. There's one every mile from 0 - 30. If you find yourself riding too far w/o seeing one (especially if you've turned at an intersection recently) - turn around and go back.

2) This is fine, although I'd much rather carry that spare tube with me. If you leave it at Church Rd and flat at mile 7, what good does it do?

3) Cold beer in the car for when it's over!

Lots of good info about the loop can be found here:

Blue Marsh: detailed trail map
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Hey stick thanks for the info! I amplanning to have a bunch of supplies to restock if needed. I'll post a ride report after tomorrow...

The Yard Sale King.

Just rode there Friday

I rode Blue Marsh for the first time this past Friday. Awesome place to ride. Immense. Great views. Changing trail character throughout the ride. Challenging climbs. Super fun descents.

Me and a friend did the ~24 mile loop counterclockwise starting at Church Road. It seemed like a pretty good way to ride the loop. Went 16 miles to the Visitor's Center where we refilled our Camelbaks and ate some Clif bars and then had a *relatively* easy 8 miles left back to the Church Rd. lot.

It took us just over 4 hours to complete the ride (avg speed ~ 5.3 mph including stops for breaks and at the visitor's center, not to mention my painfully slow climbs in the last 3 or 4 miles due to cramped quads). Not speed demons for sure, but respectable, I think.

Does anyone have information regarding the amount of climbing/elevation gain for this loop?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    tommyjay- I think I passed you guys while I was heading back to my car in the Stilling Basin Lot (probably about mile marker 24 around 2:30-3:00). I love Blue Marsh and this was the first time I rode the 24 mile loop solo. Guess what though- I live in Belle Mead, NJ. Let me know if you want me to let you know when I'll be heading out there again- we could carpool.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Blue Marsh Trip

Molasses,

I live in Skillman, NJ and grew up in the Blue Marsh area. I have ridden Blue Marsh several times now, the last time with Tommyjay this past weekend.

Let me know the next time you want to ride Blue Marsh, I'll drive. I'm up for it again soon, the conditions are great right now and very fast. It would be a blast with three riders

Tim.

Inbred Homebrewer
    tommyjay- I think I passed you guys while I was heading back to my car in the Stilling Basin Lot (probably about mile marker 24 around 2:30-3:00). I love Blue Marsh and this was the first time I rode the 24 mile loop solo. Guess what though- I live in Belle Mead, NJ. Let me know if you want me to let you know when I'll be heading out there again- we could carpool.

24 mi? What happened to the other 6 mi?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Regarding the additional six miles - next time, next time. Being the first time solo (and on a SS) I was just nervous I was going to explode with miles to go before I got to the car. Overall, I did well although the climb around mile marker 25 kicked my tail! I noticed someone drew a bike over the hiker-I assume to point out this was a hike-a-bike section!!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Overall, I did well although the climb around mile marker 25 kicked my tail! I noticed someone drew a bike over the hiker-I assume to point out this was a hike-a-bike section!!
    I know exactly which sign you're talking about, lol. I noticed it the last time I was there as I too was thoroughly whooped by that hill. I am every time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I need to get out this trail again sometime soon! I haven't been there since Mother's Day weekend.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hey Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Stevens
    Molasses,

I live in Skillman, NJ and grew up in the Blue Marsh area. I have ridden Blue Marsh several times now, the last time with Tommyjay this past weekend.

Let me know the next time you want to ride Blue Marsh, I'll drive. I'm up for it again soon, the conditions are great right now and very fast. It would be a blast with three riders

Tim.

Very cool! I will probably be hitting BM next week at some point- as I would like to get 2 more rides prior to my trip- but we'll see. Where else do you guys ride? Chimney Rock? Mahlon Dickerson (one of my fav.s)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

riding this weekend

molasses

We usually ride chimney rock, six mile run, and hartshorn. Tommyjay and I will be at chimney rock Sunday morning, and I will be riding six mile run sometime Saturday.

I'll send you times if you would like to join us.

Tim

mtbr member
    Visiting the folks out east and thinking of riding this Saturday morning.

Where should I park to start this one off? Or more importantly what address should I use for google maps

Also looking at the map online at http://www.nap.usace.army.mil/images/bml/map-trails.gif Is the missing 6 miles that spur on the left side of the map?

Thanks!

-Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2007