mtbr member

Black Friday Ride, PGH area

Heading over to the in laws for Thanksgiving and would love to get a ride in on Black Friday. Thinking about North Park, Apollo Ridge, etc. Anyone riding?
    Ride first, drinks after!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm also visiting Pitt for Thanksgiving and was planning to ride North Park on Friday. daveg66 may be interested as well. Let me know if you want to meet up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    I'm also visiting Pitt for Thanksgiving and was planning to ride North Park on Friday. daveg66 may be interested as well. Let me know if you want to meet up.
    Sounds like a possibility. I have a buddy who is thinking about West Branch as well, so trying to convince him to go east!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'll keep this in the back of my head. Friday will be the one day I really get to see my brother, so I might not be up for the ride. If there's interest in doing it "early" (yikes! on a day off! argh!), I might be more likely to join up. Our Thx trip is relatively "short" this year. If I don't make it, have a blast -- ripping around North Park is very grin worthy!

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor76 View Post
    I'll keep this in the back of my head. Friday will be the one day I really get to see my brother, so I might not be up for the ride. If there's interest in doing it "early" (yikes! on a day off! argh!), I might be more likely to join up. Our Thx trip is relatively "short" this year. If I don't make it, have a blast -- ripping around North Park is very grin worthy!

Best,
    Mark
    You talking 8:00 - 9:00 start, or the crack of dawn? I can definitely do 9:00, not sure about 6:00...especially the day after Thanksgiving!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja View Post
    You talking 8:00 - 9:00 start, or the crack of dawn? I can definitely do 9:00, not sure about 6:00...especially the day after Thanksgiving!
    Early (and doable for me) would probably be 8:00 start and a 2 hour ride. Drive one-way is around 50 mins for me. Need to check my brother's schedule and do some planning. If others chime in, please feel free to make plans at a more "sane" time without me -- I would say that even if the stars align, my likelihood of riding at North Park on Friday is probably around 50%. If I miss NP, I might try for Moraine ... although hunting ... hummm. We'll see.

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    9 works for me. I have no time limits on Friday ride. wife shopping, kid with grandma. Bikes, beer and football for me!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How about North Park at 10:00am? Meet at JC Stone Field, ride until you have had enough. Variable pace, some of those trails just make you ride fast, but no one gets dropped. Plenty of options for bail outs or extra miles. Post up if you're interested.

Dave

mtbr member
    I am in. 10:00 it is.

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'll be there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cool, see you there.

mtbr member
    good ride today, total about 15 miles. 4 of us showed up to brave the weather, which got better every minute we rode! thanks guys, had a good time!

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had a great time guys, thanks. Really great trail system.

Dave, I'll look you up next time I'm in town. I'd love a tour of Deer Lakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rode at North Park again today. Did the trail with the red rectangle and blue dot in the other direction than we did on Friday. Not really recommended, it's obviously designed to go the other way. I did a few other trails, but about 12 miles in I broke my rear der hanger and bent several spokes. Bummer.

Anyway, I love riding here. Nice change of pace from NEPA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Interesting. I've rode red/blue dot both ways on my singlespeed. Seems good each way. Why do you say it's directional?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OneArm View Post
    Interesting. I've rode red/blue dot both ways on my singlespeed. Seems good each way. Why do you say it's directional?
    It seemed like I hit all of the features that were meant to be taken going downhill when I was going uphill. Maybe it was partly just my imagination, but I turned around at least twice to hit them from the other direction. Wasn't a bad ride, just felt better the other way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, you're right now that I think about it. I always struggle with the short section aways out on my SS that I haven't been able to clean yet. Great place to ride and glad you enjoyed it.

my fun has a hurting
    did you guys happen to make it over to the south end of the park and check out our skills park or freeride trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    CD,
    No, we did not ride anything up around the pool area. We did the compost pile loop, east side of the golf course (front or back 9?), North Ridge and Pfundstein. After that, we were running out of time and energy, so we went along Babcock Blvd up to Koto Buki and called it a day. There's a lot we didn't ride, tough to do it all in one day.

Dave

mtbr member
    I guess we will hit that the next time in town! Anything else we missed?

@endo_2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I thought about heading to the skills area on Sunday, but there was a dusting of snow so I didn't think it was a good idea. I'll definitely check it out at some point.

I'm coming to Pitt the day after Christmas and staying until New Year's Day. Anyone gonna be riding during that time, weather permitting?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    endo,
    There are plenty more trails to ride similar to what we did, plus the Dr J trail and skills area. You could easily double the mileage we rode.

ninja,
    We'll be riding somewhere during the holidays, don't know the schedule yet. PM me when you get into town.

Dave