mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Biketek in Pittsburgh and Monroeville

I was in Biketek today in Squirrel Hill. I have my mind made up I'm looking for either a Jamis hardtail or 29'er. Has anyone dealt with either of their shops, and if so, could you share your experience, good or bad?

The owner is based at the Squirrel Hill store and mtb's don't seem to be his forte'. Seems to know his roadbikes though.

mtbr member
    it seemed to me that the one in monroeville had mostly mtb stuff. the guy i talked to seemed to know his stuff. as for service and such, not so sure because i wound up buying my rush across the street at pro bike. service there has been mixed. all of the guys ive delt with there were cool except for the one dude thats an ass. sorry not more helpful. by the way, some of those jamis bikes in there looked pretty sweet. boyce has been pretty dry lately. quite a few good rides includin today

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bprush
    it seemed to me that the one in monroeville had mostly mtb stuff. the guy i talked to seemed to know his stuff. as for service and such, not so sure because i wound up buying my rush across the street at pro bike. service there has been mixed. all of the guys ive delt with there were cool except for the one dude thats an ass. sorry not more helpful. by the way, some of those jamis bikes in there looked pretty sweet. boyce has been pretty dry lately. quite a few good rides includin today
    I also bought my Cannondale Rush at Pro Bikes across the street. Jason has been great and all the others have been nice to.

I'm going to end up with either a

Jamis Dragon Pro

Jamis Dragon 29'er

Jamis Exile SS

Jamis Dakota Elite

mtbr member
    I bought a Kona Jake, at MSRP, from Biketek a couple years ago. They seemed nice enough. Offered a week month of free adjustments (was given a full year of adjustments on my Spec Epic from a Morgantown, WV shop), but I do most of my own wrenching anyway. One time I went to the shop in Monroeville to have them get a crown race off for me. Guy knocked it off no charge. I know that might not sound like much, but I've been to shops that would have charged $5 for doing it (Pittsburgh Pro probably would have charged $50).
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kmoses
    I bought a Kona Jake, at MSRP, from Biketek a couple years ago. They seemed nice enough. Offered a week month of free adjustments (was given a full year of adjustments on my Spec Epic from a Morgantown, WV shop), but I do most of my own wrenching anyway. One time I went to the shop in Monroeville to have them get a crown race off for me. Guy knocked it off no charge. I know that might not sound like much, but I've been to shops that would have charged $5 for doing it (Pittsburgh Pro probably would have charged $50).
    Yeah they were telling me they used to sell Kona's but they stopped because for some reason they claim they did not sell well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bought a Jamis Durango at the Monroeville store last year and have bought a lot of other stuff there as well. Frank is the manager, don't know if he is the full owner or a minority partner or what. He knows his stuff and will give you advice without trying to give you the salesman rap. He is actually a little on the quiet side and if you don't know it you might think he is being standoffish, but it's just him and if you talk to him he's a good guy. I went into Pro Bikes and was given the run around about how any brand they didn't carry was automatically crap blah blah blah and just didn't like the vibe of the place, and as a result haven't bought anything there since, but they have a good rep so I am probably the weird one. Either shop should do right by you. At Biketek I got free tune ups for a year on my bike plus any helmet on the wall for 30 bucks if I bought it with my bike. They've given me a lot of good advice and they have done work on my bike for cheap or free several times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jralz
    I bought a Jamis Durango at the Monroeville store last year and have bought a lot of other stuff there as well. Frank is the manager, don't know if he is the full owner or a minority partner or what. He knows his stuff and will give you advice without trying to give you the salesman rap. He is actually a little on the quiet side and if you don't know it you might think he is being standoffish, but it's just him and if you talk to him he's a good guy. I went into Pro Bikes and was given the run around about how any brand they didn't carry was automatically crap blah blah blah and just didn't like the vibe of the place, and as a result haven't bought anything there since, but they have a good rep so I am probably the weird one. Either shop should do right by you. At Biketek I got free tune ups for a year on my bike plus any helmet on the wall for 30 bucks if I bought it with my bike. They've given me a lot of good advice and they have done work on my bike for cheap or free several times.
    Thank you great for the great review

Nice no rass
    I bought my wife's Jamis Dakar Sport from Frank at Bike Tek. Yeah, he's not a real sociable dude, but took good care of us. Her Manitou locked up after 30 miles. I got a sweet deal on a Zocchi MX Pro ETA TAS (not from him) and he cut the steerer tube and swapped them out for free to send the 'Poo back for service.

I'd buy from him again and Jamis makes real nice stuff for the money.