those are Rollercams...

Bike shop reccs. close to Bensalem,PA?

Any recommendations for a quality shop relatively close(within 15-20 miles) to Bensalem?All of the shops in the area(and there ain't many)cater to low end bikes.I'm not a snob but I don't own any low end bikes and I'm not eager to give a 15 year old fledgling "mechanic"his first crack at a pro level bike.I tried a shop in Feasterville on Street Rd. that will go nameless and the butcher who worked on the bike mauled my headset,seatpost and scraped the decals on the frame.

Any help would be appreciated.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Any recommendations for a quality shop relatively close(within 15-20 miles) to Bensalem?All of the shops in the area(and there ain't many)cater to low end bikes.I'm not a snob but I don't own any low end bikes and I'm not eager to give a 15 year old fledgling "mechanic"his first crack at a pro level bike.I tried a shop in Feasterville on Street Rd. that will go nameless and the butcher who worked on the bike mauled my headset,seatpost and scraped the decals on the frame.

Okay, so Guy's is out. Look, the only way to guarantee the quality of work done on your bike is to do it yourself. Most LBS mechanics aren't very well trained, and most are overworked.

If, in fact, you own a "pro-level" bike, you ought to have the tools and ability to build and repair your bike on your own. It's not rocket science.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cycles BiKyle

Thier is a shop near Broomall called Cycles BiKyle. They do mostly high end road bikes, but he also does custom builds on mountain frames. It doesn't get any more high end than that shop. I would imagine his mechanics are extremely well trained.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Okay, so Guy's is out. Look, the only way to guarantee the quality of work done on your bike is to do it yourself. Most LBS mechanics aren't very well trained, and most are overworked.

If, in fact, you own a "pro-level" bike, you ought to have the tools and ability to build and repair your bike on your own. It's not rocket science.
    I guess I'll have to do just that.Thanks so much for your response,it really cut through the crap and answered the question.Thanks again..Thanks.No really,thanks.

In case I forgot,thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Try Knapp's in Lawrenceville, NJ

Ask for Pete, the owner.

Inbred Homebrewer
    I guess I'll have to do just that.Thanks so much for your response,it really cut through the crap and answered the question.Thanks again..Thanks.No really,thanks.

In case I forgot,thanks.
    I take it from your reply that you didn't like my suggestion. What exactly was wrong with suggesting that you learn to fix your bike yourself? I don't know how to make it any clearer for you than this:

Any time you take your bike to a shop and leave it there for someone to work on, you run the risk of not being satisfied with the work they've done.

What really happened to your bike at Guys? Did you bother to go back and let them know that you were unsatisfied? If so, did they fix the problem?

I could recommend a half-dozen shops in the area, but I probably shouldn't. Why? Because, chances are, you'd find something to complain about there, too. I'm not even suggesting that your complaints are (or would be) unwarranted. All I'm saying is that you would be much better off doing the work yourself.

Still not happy? Go to Wheel Wright bike shop on York Rd. in Abington. Ask for Miko. He'll take care of you.

those are Rollercams...
    I take it from your reply that you didn't like my suggestion. What exactly was wrong with suggesting that you learn to fix your bike yourself? I don't know how to make it any clearer for you than this:

Any time you take your bike to a shop and leave it there for someone to work on, you run the risk of not being satisfied with the work they've done.

What really happened to your bike at Guys? Did you bother to go back and let them know that you were unsatisfied? If so, did they fix the problem?

I could recommend a half-dozen shops in the area, but I probably shouldn't. Why? Because, chances are, you'd find something to complain about there, too. I'm not even suggesting that your complaints are (or would be) unwarranted. All I'm saying is that you would be much better off doing the work yourself.

Still not happy? Go to Wheel Wright bike shop on York Rd. in Abington. Ask for Miko. He'll take care of you.
    I agree with what you say,just don't care for the tone.I get the feeling you're offended by my comment about Guy's.I asked a reasonable question and you replied with something other than an answer to it.This being a public site,you're entitled to your opinion as am I.
    Take care.

Knapps,that's the place I had in mind but couldn't recall the name or town.Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Knapp's & Guy's

I just got an awesome deal on a leftover '04 Specialized S-Works Enduro at Knapp's.

With respect to Guy's, I have been very impressed with the people there...their knowledge, service, etc., and they have an awesome reputation. I've never bought a bike there, however, because the couple of times that I bought, they didn't have what I was looking for in stock at the time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Guys to people, though.

I agree with what you say,just don't care for the tone.I get the feeling you're offended by my comment about Guy's.I asked a reasonable question and you replied with something other than an answer to it.This being a public site,you're entitled to your opinion as am I.
    Take care.

Knapps,that's the place I had in mind but couldn't recall the name or town.Thanks.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Take care.
    Nah, I'm not the least bit offended by what you wrote about Guys. I could tell you horror stories about many of the local shops, and I don't feel any obligations of 'loyalty' to any of them. That's really the essence of what I was getting at re: learning to DIY. I've lived and ridden in this area long enough to know the ins and outs of most LBSs. Some are much better than others, but the truly good ones are few & far between.

Higher prices + mediocre workmanship + poor selection + longer waits = one big headache.

The reason I recommended Wheel Wright is because the owner (Miko Wright) is a friend of one of the guys I ride with. He's been in the business (racing & wrenching at various shops) for years. WW is the first shop he's opened on his own, and I know he's eager to please in order to expand his customer base.

Do I feel guilty for not buying everything from him? No. My budget is such that (in most cases) mail-order makes a lot more sense and, since I do all of my own wrenching, I don't need the support of a shop mechanic.

those are Rollercams...
    Nah, I'm not the least bit offended by what you wrote about Guys. I could tell you horror stories about many of the local shops, and I don't feel any obligations of 'loyalty' to any of them. That's really the essence of what I was getting at re: learning to DIY. I've lived and ridden in this area long enough to know the ins and outs of most LBSs. Some are much better than others, but the truly good ones are few & far between.

Higher prices + mediocre workmanship + poor selection + longer waits = one big headache.

The reason I recommended Wheel Wright is because the owner (Miko Wright) is a friend of one of the guys I ride with. He's been in the business (racing & wrenching at various shops) for years. WW is the first shop he's opened on his own, and I know he's eager to please in order to expand his customer base.

Do I feel guilty for not buying everything from him? No. My budget is such that (in most cases) mail-order makes a lot more sense and, since I do all of my own wrenching, I don't need the support of a shop mechanic.
    Again,no argument.I do most of my own work but don't own certain tools,headset press for one.Always seemed to find something "better"to spend the cash on than a tool I'd use sparingly at best.I was honestly surprised by this recent experience at Guy's which had always been a somewhat better than average shop and assigned the higher end bikes to the one or two experienced mechanics.I was off the bike for a few years(knee injury and new babies)and the tone of the place seemed to change.I'm not a native to this area and I'm frustrated at the lack of good bike shops.Coming from Long Island,I'm used to a wide selection of shops to choose from.

mtbr member

I have had good service at Guy's Bikes in Feasterville, PA. My only complaint is sometimes their prices for service are too high. Rather than being angry at them you should check in with Bill or Bobby about the problem. Most certainly they will make you happy. I know others that take a high end bike there for service and are pleased with the results. Larry's Bikes in Bristol is cheap but Barry, the mechanic is very good. Don't be mislead by the appearance of the shop. Barry is a skilled mechanic. Let us know what you think or if you found another good deal!

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    I have had good service at Guy's Bikes in Feasterville, PA. My only complaint is sometimes their prices for service are too high. Rather than being angry at them you should check in with Bill or Bobby about the problem. Most certainly they will make you happy. I know others that take a high end bike there for service and are pleased with the results. Larry's Bikes in Bristol is cheap but Barry, the mechanic is very good. Don't be mislead by the appearance of the shop. Barry is a skilled mechanic. Let us know what you think or if you found another good deal!
    I'm not angry with them,just displeased with the damage(albeit cosmetic)that was done.I had my 2 small children with me when I picked the bike up and didn't take notice of what happened until later.Yes,I could have gone back but to what end?The headset is a Mavic VTT 315,no longer made.It uses a 2.5 mm allen bolt for the lockring.The top cup was gouged badly(I assume whoever did the work didn't know and really torqued on it with a standard wrench)The seatpost is a Ringle Moby,no longer made.The frame is a Grove Innovations X,no longer made.None of what was damaged can be replaced and it does still function mechanically.All they could have done at that point was offer me a discount,which wouldn't have changed anything,the damage was done.

I really didn't post this to attack Guy's.I think they're pretty nice folks and I wouldn't hesitate to shop there again,I just wouldn't bring any of my bikes there for service.
    Unfortunately,there doesen't seem to be many shops with a good reputation in the general area.I've heard many.many good things about Knapps in Lawrenceville over the years(even when I lived in New York)I think they're gonna warrant a looking into.

Hollywood

Wheelwright

I am good friends with Miko Wright and I have been going Abington Wheel Wright for about three years and riding with all the guys from the shop and I have always been satisfied. He has been racing and wrenching almost all of his life. His dad had his own bike shop. Miko or Trey will do your bike justice. If they are not busy chances are they will fix your bike on the spot and tell you what the problem is and how to recognize the symptoms. You don't have to stand behind a wall or anything while they fix your bike. You could be right near them watching.
    If there is a tree to hit I will find it.
    Thats why they call me
    [SIZE=3]HOLLYWOOD[/SIZE]