mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bike rental shop near Wissahikon?

I am headed up there from Tampa next week. I've decided not to bring the bike and just rent if the weather and conditions are good enough to ride. I am staying in Havertown and plan or riding Wissahikon with friends.

can you recomend a shop near that rents high end bikes. FS prefered. thanks in advance for the help.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I seached all the local shops this summer when my brother was in town and you will get nothing in the area. Shop owners told me it just isn't profitable to rent "real MT bike" becuse the repairs kill your profits.

But there is a great choice.... along I-95 in Newark DE is Bikeline and they rent some nice Fishers and Trek's. I believe the going rate was $25 day for HT and $35 for FS. The weekly rate was like $120 and these were Paragon's and Trek EX7 - EX8.

Give them a call and I'm sure they can hook you up. By the way, if you like sweet singletrack, just go to Middle Run/ White Clay Creek that is about 5 minutes from their shop.

mtbr member
    Human Zoom http://humanzoom.com/ in Manayunk used to rent nice bikes - not sure if that is still the case. If you make a post on phillymtb.org you may find someone willing to let you use a bike. Good luck
    "Even 100 years ago, adults didn't ride 26-inch wheels, only little children did." - Wes Williams

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys. man, our local shops loan out bikes all the time. Will even give me one for free while they are working on mine......

mtbr member
    With all the snow, I don't think Wiss is gonna be rideable next week...

mtbr member
    Actually, I rode saturday morning and with a few inches of snow, it was fantastic. Those trails get so heavily used that the snow gets packed really nicely and the ridding is quite fun - with no trail damage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice!....I am going to freeze my tail off. It was about 50 here a few weeks ago and I thought it was cold......

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    check out abington wheel wright bike shop. they've helped me out with demos/rentals in the past but i don't know what they've got available right now. www.awwbs.com, they're about 20 minutes from wissahickon a little north of philly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I ended up bringing my bike. I rode from the Bells Mill lot Sunday and Monday. very challenging trails!
    Question, I rode past the Indian statue. I didnt see any bike tracks...was that closed to bikes? If so sorry about that. I was a very challenging ride down (upstream) Made me wish I has more than just a helmet on. I honestly shouldnt have been on that trail alone.....I was solo as my buddy that knows the trails didnt make it.
    Too cold for me today!

I'm more of a dog person
    the trail by the Indian is open to bikes so no worries.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinner29er
    I ended up bringing my bike. I rode from the Bells Mill lot Sunday and Monday. very challenging trails!
    Question, I rode past the Indian statue. I didnt see any bike tracks...was that closed to bikes? If so sorry about that. I was a very challenging ride down (upstream) Made me wish I has more than just a helmet on. I honestly shouldnt have been on that trail alone.....I was solo as my buddy that knows the trails didnt make it.
    Too cold for me today!
    I ride the Wiss 4+ times a week and I find that section between the Indian and the Chestnut Hill Ave access road the most challenging section in the park. Glad you were able to get out and ride.
    "Even 100 years ago, adults didn't ride 26-inch wheels, only little children did." - Wes Williams