PMBA

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Bike Park In Philly!

I’ve been talking about building a skill park in Wissahickon for a long time, and wondered how it would happen. How do we make this a reality? My early efforts usually would just get skepticism. Since the Philadelphia Mountainbike Assoc. organized two years ago, I am no longer alone in this venture. Mountainbikers have made leaps and bounds in gaining respect from other users and park officials in the Philadelphia parks. One reason for this is the incredible support we get from our members with volunteer hours working on the trails. We’re not considered so much of a nuisance anymore, and more of a legitimate and highly contributing user group. A user group with some special needs just like any other user group. One of those needs is a bike park.

It’s not a sure thing but a new opportunity is currently before us. The Walnut Lane golf course that is located directly next to Wissahickon is being closed due to a lack of revenue. The city owns the land and has hired consultants to help them figure out what to do with the land. And the good part is they are not ruling out the possibility of a Mountain Bike Skill Park. We have been approached by the consultants to get info on how and why a bike park would be a good idea. A couple of things that interest them is will it generate revenue for the city? And who would maintain it? This is where we need to step up.

There are going to be public meetings to discuss what is going to happen to this land and we need a strong showing of support for this cause to make it happen. We need to show them there is a large interest and a need for our Skill Park and that it would be a positive thing for the city. My biggest apologies for not having the dates and times as of now, but I wanted to get the word out there anyway so the word of mouth can start talking. We are in contact with the consultants and trying diligently to get the dates of the meetings which we will post asap.

The Philadelphia Mountain Bike Assoc would play a major role to build and maintain the park. And we need the support of riders. We are asking that all riders who can, please make it to these meetings to show support and give ideas. An army of riders would be great. Local bike shops and vendors who can help support the idea are strongly encouraged to attend since more local riding opportunities means more business. Showing a prospect of revenue for the city is going to be a huge factor. However we do not plan to charge riders to use the skill park, so it would need to be generated in some related way. Folks from the bike industry with interest are strongly encouraged to attend these meetings and show your support and ideas.

It’s a large piece of land and other ideas that are being considered are batting cages and a driving range. A skill park could also go along with these ideas as there is plenty of room. Plans for the land have not been finalized so we need to make sure we are a part of the final plans. Please stay tuned and we will post the dates, times and location of the meetings as soon as we find out. Once again I appologize for not having this info yet. Thanks for reading. Spread the word!

www.phillymtb.com
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Very interesting! I could never get my head around the lack of a skills/play area around the Philly area and this has great promise! Hopefully it will resember the play area/skills area at Glentress in Scotland as that place is packed every weekend!

http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-6YSGNA

I'm more of a dog person
    I would attend the meetings and help out w/ the construction if possible. What ever I can do to help I will do my best to make it happen. A skills park would be fantastic a Wiss. Something like the skills section at White Clay would be terrific. We can make this a really nice park if we get enough of the right people involved. Let us know the meeting dates!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i would love to help out any way possible--im on the trails in the wissahickon most every weekend

PMBA
    Finally got the details. Here is the press release below. Please plan to attend! The more support the better chance we have:

The FPC, together with its partner the Fairmount Park Conservancy, is conducting a study of Walnut Lane Golf Course to examine current conditions and potential future uses. The community is invited to hear a presentation on the study at a meeting on Thursday, Sept 11 at 7PM at the WB Saul High School, 7100 Henry Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19128.

Funded by the Barra Foundation, the study is considering new recreational uses and environmental improvements that will contribute to the surrounding neighborhoods. The study consultants, EDAW, inc. will present findings and preliminary recommendations. Comments and participation will be encouraged. The meeting will be held in the mulit-purpose room of the main school building.

GET THE WORD OUT!!!!!

I'm more of a dog person
    Damn it! I will be out of town that night for the RCST bash. I wanted to go to that meeting too. L4S make sure you speak up on the need for this park. Please post the details of the meeting afterwards.

PMBA

Outcome of golf course/Skill park at Wiss! reminder

The meeting for the outcome of the Walnut Lane golf course is tomorrow the 11th at Saul High School at 7100 Henry Ave 19128 at 7pm.

Remember we want to build a mountainbike skill park at this location and there is a good chance it could happen! We need all the support we can get so please come down and bring friends, family, dogs, goldfish....

Please forward to any and all your cycling friends and associates who may be able to attend.

Thanks!
    Tom Coyle
    www.phillymtb.com

I'm more of a dog person
    So did anyone attend the meeting?. how did it go?

mtbr member
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Im totally interested in this. With my work schedule its hard to make any night meetings right now,but i would to help in any other way.I love building up and mantaining the trails on myside of the bridge now,and this would make riding at Wis. that much more fun. Keep us posted.

PMBA
    For those of you who have heard the details, the meeting at Saul High School..it was a mess. But not a total loss for us. The meeting got out of control, but we did have a chance to speak our case to some city officials after the meeting fell apart and things look good for us. It's in no small part due to the fact that PMBA has logged over 2000 hours of volunteer work on the trails already just this year.

So here is the next step. Below is a link to a survey on what to do at the golf course. PLEASE GO IN AND CHOOSE OPTION #2 in the Walnut lane section. And forward this to everyone you know and tell them to do the same. Option 2 includes a mountainbike skill park. If we get enough votes for OPTION 2 that's more than likely what they will do.

Thanks for your support.

http://fairmountpark.org/juniata_walnut_gc.asp