Did you ever have ham?

Is this bike any good?

Good Morning All! I was just window shopping on Craig's List and found someone selling this bike. Looks pretty sweet, but looks can be deceiving, eh? I looked under the review section and there is nothing on there about it. Does anyone know anything about this bike, where they any good?

http://scranton.craigslist.org/bik/1463638197.html
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    it's not necessarily a BAD bike but for your use I'd be concerned about a couple things...

- it's a complete guess since I don't see size quoted on the listing, but it looks too small for you. Frame-size fit is *not* something to gloss over.

- it's a 26er, isn't your Windsor a 29er? That'll make for a much different ride (less well rolling over bumps/obstacles). On the up-side, more tire selection.

- the shocks are old and out of support shocks (probably), so they have the twin problem that they may not be able to be setup properly for you because of your weight AND they'll need maintenance that will be hard to come by (for parts). At nearing ten years old these are NOT going to be "run and forget" components. Would you run your moto with improperly setup shox? Thought not. ;^(

Food for thought: keep looking, you never know what you end up finding, and I've seem some FABULOUS deals come to people by way of CL - just don't get "jones up" about something until it's the "right" something. I've seen a lot of people waste time and money because something was "cheap" only to have it be completely insufficient for their needs.

Keep on surfing man!

Did you ever have ham?
    they may not be able to be setup properly for you because of your weight....IS THAT SOME KIND OF FAT JOKE? LMAO! I was thinking of that but still wanted the opinion of others that are more knowledgable. I never even thought about the size issue, either. You know us rednecks like shiny things! LOL!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I would maybe have use the term Husky. As in Siberian Wolfhound Sabretooth Husky. ;^P

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Moto,Bear made some really good points.One other thing is that bike is a unified triangle.Really not so good.

Did you ever have ham?
    Is a unified triangle a weaker frame than traditional frames? It looks beefier!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No not beefier.I think that bike is carbon up front.The cranks are mounted to the swingarm.When you stand you get total lockout.I had a Klein like that.Terrible.Took a trip over the bars in a race near Philly years ago.Got A ride in the ambulance.Busted my lip open resulting in stitches inside and out.Sold it the same week. They suffer from major brake jack.

Did you ever have ham?
    Wow, thanks for the info! I don't need to go over the bars. The sheer impact of me hitting the ground would break California away from the rest of the country! LOL! Then again, maybe that is not such a bad idea!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Check out the Lancaster Craigs list bikes. My son is selling his 07 Trek Fuel and it is in really nice shape

Did you ever have ham?

Is this bike any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Lugi
    Check out the Lancaster Craigs list bikes. My son is selling his 07 Trek Fuel and it is in really nice shape
    Thanks for the tip, Lugi! I just checked it out...sweet looking bike! Like Bear said above I need to find something with a frame that fits me. I would need a large sized frame. Wish your son good luck with selling it. Happy Thanksgiving, Lugi!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Moto:

The Trek Y bikes were made for few years when Trek was spending all their money on Lance. Trek finally realized they had to anny up and pay for a suspension designed by one of the big suspension designers. The unified rear tri went the way of the pony express.

YOU WOULD BREAK THAT BIKE IN HALF!

But, it would be nice to hang on the wall. Somewhere I saw a guy on the internet who made a guitar out of one of them, it was cool

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    moto, one (of the many) thing(s) you should do before buying a FS bike is go read up on what the different suspension styles are and what that means in their behavior, all are not created equal in design nor in fabrication. Rooting around int he MTBR forums would probably find some good discussios/links. Some of the manufacturers have extensive discussion pages BUT you MUST keep the though in mind when reading their pages that they are not in any way objective.

I can't dig up a bunch of links right now (at work, limited 'net use after all) but a quick rundown....

- Horst-Link aka:FSR ( patent rights owned by Specialized, used by a few others - Titus, Chumba, et. al. )

- Ellsworth ICT - you guessed it, owned by Ellsworth, to me it's really another flavor of Horst-Link but Tony E. probably would like to hit me for saying that.

- Single pivot bikes - in a tremendous variety of shapes and sizes ( the Trek is one of them, and believe it or not the pre-ABP bikes they made such as the Fuel are really single pivot also ). Single pivot in my definition is a machine that has one (1) suspension pivot between the rear axle and the bottom-bracket. Ventana bikes also fall into this category to me. Unified Rear Triangle aka:URT bikes (like the Y22) fall into this category too.

- MonoLink by Maverick, also used by Seven Cycles

Some writers have put a cross-brand identification of "two short links" to some designs to bin them into the same category, these include...

- DW-Link ( licensed by designer Dave Weagle to a variety of companies including Iron Horse, Ibis, Pivot, Turner, and probably others )

- Virtual Pivot Point - VPP - currently championed by Santa Cruz if I recall correctly, pre-dates (?) DW-Link and is related in some ways but behaves differently)

- CVA by Niner, used on their bikes both moderate- and long-travel

- Canfield Brothers - on their One, Sauce, Can-Can, and other bikes

There's a ton more designs out there, these are just off the top of my fingers.

Oh, and for my money, I'm a fan of Horst-Link and DW-Link. I've spent some time on 1st-gen VPP and wasn't convinced it's "all that and a slice of pie" but now they're on 2nd-gen so who knows. I'm also very curious about the Niner CVA and Canfield designs but haven't had a chance to ride them.

Did you ever have ham?
    Decisions, Decisions! Do I want what's behind door number one, door number two, or door number three? LOL! I am certainly glad that I was talked out of buying that $300 fs bike from Dick's....LOL! I think that would have been broken!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bear,I new the design of the Klein when I bought it.It was actually designed around a rigid front fork.That is why the pivot was high and center.I bought the bike cheap to experiment with it.That crash put a quick end to the experimentation.LOL It came with a suspension fork and i had a rigid fork on order.I realized that I ride with more of a moto style with the brakes especially going down and that it wouldn't work for me.I agree for sure with you on the original horst link bikes.Still love them.Haven't ridden vpp yet but would like to.Yes there are bikes that they cross the designs.Maverick comes to mind but they add the linkage to change some of the negative effects of unified bikes.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I think the Maverick is a pretty neat design, I just don't like the tradeoffs. Not even e-type front derailleurs make that system happy. Maybe the longer travel version with a Hammerschmidt would be okay though.

I'm also partial to having a rigid front triangle (or whatever the tube collection is) so that the rider cockpit stays consistent regardless of what the suspension needs to do. Just feels better to me. Completely my personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just my 2 cents but you can find a nice selection of FS bikes at many local bike shops get deals right now because they are starting to slow down now that it is almost winter.I recently bought a nice '09 Cannondale Rush leftover for a great price, and I love it so far. I looked around and for the money it was the best equipped bike I found, FS and a large.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I think the Maverick is a pretty neat design, I just don't like the tradeoffs. Not even e-type front derailleurs make that system happy. Maybe the longer travel version with a Hammerschmidt would be okay though.

I'm also partial to having a rigid front triangle (or whatever the tube collection is) so that the rider cockpit stays consistent regardless of what the suspension needs to do. Just feels better to me. Completely my personal preference.
    Yes,i agree the Maverick is neat and would like to spend some time on one.It's like anything else.I try to keep an open mind and try as many things as possible.Some times you find something that works better and makes you better and helps you enjoy the ride more.You say a rigid front triangle.So you like non unified better,This would be more like A moto bike.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by mxer
    Yes,i agree the Maverick is neat and would like to spend some time on one.It's like anything else.I try to keep an open mind and try as many things as possible.Some times you find something that works better and makes you better and helps you enjoy the ride more.You say a rigid front triangle.So you like non unified better,This would be more like A moto bike.
    I had a good friend in Austin that had a Seven Duo ( titanium custom-build version of the Maverick MonoLink ) and he loved it - except he was always fidding with the front-d. ;^)

He really liked how the initial rear/up-ward motion of the rear wheel helped it with bump absorption.

The other things I've heard (I've known a few people to have to the Klein version) was that the strut/shock was subject to oil seal leakage and they sometimes had problems getting replacement parts.

I don't like being solo-vendor lock-in for critical pieces. ;^(

Yes, I do like having the least un-sprung mass. Makes the most sense to me. I guess that's like a moto.