mtbr member

New question here. Better Directions to Covered Bridge

Hey guy's- I am new to the PA area and was wondering if someone could give me better directions to covered bridge trails in Downingtown I believe. I saw them in the trail section but they didnt seem clear.

I live up in Coventry so I would come down 100 into the area.

I appreciate any help you can give me and any guidance on trail selection there.
    Ellsworth Epiphany SST2 SRAM XO
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL
    9:Zero:7 SRAM X7

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    100 south into exton
    Right onto Business 30 (Lincon highway)
    Left onto Whitford
    Right onto Clovermill Road
    Bear right onto boot road
    Left onto skelp level road

Parking on right about a mile down the road
    -or-
    Take a right onto harmony hill road and keep going until you hit the covered bridge, and park there.

Alternative (and better idea for more milage) is to park at Victory Brewing Company and ride out from there.

See http://royldean.motionbased.com for exact location of VBC (the start/end point of most of my Downingtown rides).

mtbr member
    How are the trails in Downingtown by Victory Brew Pub? Are they singletrack with lots of rocks and roots? Mostly flat or lots of hills?

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quite honestly, I prefer them to everything else in the area. Nowhere near as rocky as french creek, way more climbing and decending than Marsh Creek, and tighter than both. There aren't any "killer climbs" (like the white climb at FC), but still way more punishing than marsh creek.

The trails are also more "raw" (at least the non-harmony hill stuff is.... harmony hill is gradually turning into a smooth g-rated trail system, there are still some good trails, though).

mtbr member
    Sounds good, I'm up in Wayne so I'll have to check them out one of these weekends. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    how long a ride could i put in on these trails?

i used to live in West Chester back when it was all illegal... and therefore never really ventured out there too much but if there is a decent ride these days i might just have to head back to check it out!

mtbr member
    From Roy's Motion Based ride logs look like he's getting in a ~ 2 hour ride.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I stop a lot, though. I'm fat and slow. But I get a 12.5 mile ride with about 2200ft of climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    100 south into exton
    Right onto Business 30 (Lincon highway)
    Left onto Whitford
    Right onto Clovermill Road
    Bear right onto boot road
    Left onto skelp level road

Parking on right about a mile down the road
    -or-
    Take a right onto harmony hill road and keep going until you hit the covered bridge, and park there.

Alternative (and better idea for more milage) is to park at Victory Brewing Company and ride out from there.

See http://royldean.motionbased.com for exact location of VBC (the start/end point of most of my Downingtown rides).

Good directions, but just be aware that the small driveway to get to the parking is barely visable so drive slow and look for a small entrance on the right with a mailbox. Trailhead is right beyond the parking lot.