mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Best XC Race focused do it all bike for PA (Philly)

I've been putting off a new bike purchase for a while, but I finally got the motivation today when my DT Hugi rear hub split across the axle line while 40 minutes into my French Creek pre-ride. This alone wouldn't motivate me to buy a new bike, but the growing list of replacement parts I've specced out to get my bike ready for the season is looking daunting. My current ride is a 3 year old Cannondale Jekyll 2000. Those have been hard years, and I think I've already replaced or rebuilt just about everything once ... and several things more than once. I think it is time to retire the Jekyll from active duty and move on.

So. My needs are:

XC race capable - I'm a sport level racer whoe just moved from Texas. I don't expect to podium in MASS this year, and Xterra racing is my primary focus.
    Rough trail capable - If i was still in Dallas where trails are generally smooth and flowing, I would probably get a Specialized Epic, but I want something that will be fun on the types of trails out here.

My no. 1 pick right now is a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, but before I go spend a lot of money ... I'd like to get some local feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm now riding a Marin Mt Vision Pro, it is a great bike for what I like. have ridden the Specialized Stumpjumper, no real complaints, except that I love a swingarm bike myself.