mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Best trails at Wissahickon

I always ride Wissahickon by myself. Anyway the park is pretty big, so I was wondering where the best trails are. Mostly I ride on the trails behind the Valley Green Inn each way for a few miles. It seems like it is kind of slow going and there is not too much really fast singletrack and the only real downhills are the super rocky ones that go back down to forbidden drive. So, are there any secret spots that I'm missing? How are the trails on the other side of the creek? I saw some videos on youtube and the trails in those looked a fun but I didn't recognize some of them. If anyone would like to show me around that would be great - I don't really do night riding so at this point, the group rides at 5-6pm are kind of late. I usually go fri-sat-sun in the mid afternoon. Are there any college kids that ride there from Villanova, Penn, St Joes, Haverford??? I'm a VU student and it seems like no one from my school rides!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Best trail is the one you are riding.... actually the section behind VG is some of the "tamer" trails in the park. Generally the other side of the creek has the tougher sections. If you want relatively flat there's some new trails if you go up the big hill at Bells Mill rd (ride what can and walk the rest) and start heading to the right. The trails are not as worn-in, but also don't have the rockiness you will find in most of the other trails. I would say there's about 3 miles of singletrack in that area.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Try penny pack park. They have some good single track trails there and a good mix of up hills and downhills. It's not as technical as Wiss.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey KJ,

Graduated from Nova in '09- Check out the cycling club there should be some mountain bikers there.

I live in Roxborough right across from the park, send me an email @ matthewjohnbaker@gmail.com and lets try to get out.

-Matt

mtbr member

when are you riding?

there are always bikers in the wiss, if you join in with someone maybe they can show you around. you don't have to drop down to forbidden just stay up and you will unlock all the trails. check phillymtb.org for rides and ideas or drop us a post asking about a ride. i hate riding by myself as well. if you are riding saturday morning post a time and i may join you.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black