Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

best trails near Williamsport PA?

I am a travel nurse and just accepted an assignment in Williamsport PA starting April 28th that will last for 13 weeks. I live in Asheville NC so I have great access to some world class trails right near home. It seems that PA has some great riding to offer as well but I am having a difficult time finding where these trails are located. What are some good trails or trail systems in/near Williamsport? I dont mind driving but would love to hear about a few that are within a 30min drive to keep it relatively local. Mostly looking for cross country riding but wouldnt be opposed to some good downhill if it were available.

Also does anyone know any other things to do in the area? Rock climbing, Fly fishing, Whitewater canoing, etc. Really, Im down for anything outdoors. I have a 4x4 truck so can access a fair amount.

Thanks for any help/advice in advance and Im really looking forward to coming up and checking out your beautiful state. If anyone is in the area and is looking for someone to ride with please feel free to let me know

Cody

I'm really not familiar with the smaller local trail systems around Williamsport like 'The Water Company,' but the closet big time trail system is going to be Bald Eagle State Forest (with spillover into lower Tiadaghton State Forest.) Go to purplelizard.com and order the Bald Eagle map for $12. It's worth it. It's a huge tract of land and some of the areas are very isolated, so the trails will run the gamut in terms of how well they're maintained. For me, coming from Danville, I access Bald Eagle from a parking lot immediately off Exit 199 (Mile Run) of I-80, but coming from Williamsport, there may be a better way.

Canoing: Pine Creek - Rt 6 (or even further up) down to Jersey Shore, PA

Other info:
    Bald Eagle Parking
    Bald Eagle Trails (if you don't spring for Purple Lizard)
    Danville Trails Parking
    Danville Trails
    Roaring Creek Parking
    Roaring Creek, Trail Map 1
    Roaring Creek, Trail Map 2
    Last edited by jonz; 04-02-2014 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    I lived in Williamsport for 3 years but didn't bike at the time so I can't help with that, but if you like hiking there are some beautiful trails at Ricketts Glen which is only about an hour away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I just started riding but so far I hear about a few places.

Water Company Trail - Sounds tame.
    Water Company Pennsylvania Trail Reviews

Rider Park - I think kind of a inbetween.
    Williamsport Lycoming County Visitors Bureau - Rider Park, Warrensville

And something I was told that was more difficult was Little Bear Creek. It is located out route 87 here is a link to it on google maps...
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Li...7dce13858a7f9a

If you go over to Bicycle Center in South Williamsport, Devin (younger guy) seems to know all the spots cause he rides. Hope all this helps some.

The White Jeff W

Re: best trails near Williamsport PA?

Make sure you get down to Raystown Allegrippis while you're here. Its a 2 hr drive but well worth it.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I'll show ya some great trails in Bald Eagle (and fly fishing), if you show me the same in Asheville sometime! White Deer Creek Road is about a half hour from Williamsport I believe although I never come from that direction. Right off of Rt 80. I'm a pretty hard core xc rider and my rides there are usually epic not really for an hour ride after work. I do have some shorter loops (3-8 mile) too. You do need to know what trails are doable and which aren't or you'll spend a lot of time walking your bike or riding dirt roads.
    There is a fly fishing only stretch on white deer creek which is where I learned and grew up fishing. Its not a big stream and you need to be able to finesse a fly amongst thick laurel.
    Help, I'm a rock!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ricketts Glenn is off limits to bikes. But moon lake park is maybe a 40-45 min drive from Williamsport and has all kinds of trails.

mtbr member

options

there are lots of options within an hr drive. If your looking for H2o
    check out https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bcckc
    they are in your neck of the woods..there are some "gems" very close to williamsport if you like creekin.
    Feel free to pm me if your willing to drive an hr to ride, the northeast
    has many great trails..
    Joe
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    It would be worth you while to travel a bit more than 30 minutes, you might try heading up RT15 to Wellsboro, The area around Asaph has lots of really great MTB stuff. Check out Pine Creek and a trib of it, Slate Run for flyfishing. Hiking the Susquehannock SF and lots more in Potter county. Let me know if your coming to Moon Lake and need a guide.

Keep on Rockin...
    Best bet is to head toward Mt. Carmel.

Ride the trails at the Roaring Creek Watershed (now Weiser SF). Trails lie on the ridge between Natalie and Aristes, or between routes 54 and 42.

Riding the Ridge Trail is your best bet.

There is likely still snow on the ground up on the Ridge though.

The trails at Danville would be closer but I've not been there in years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Hey man welcome to PA. A friend of mine is a Nurse in NC, he moved there from PA.

But anyway, places to ride.

Raystown is going to remind you of Bent Creek without the longer climbing. But very fast very flowy, and a fun place to ride. However that's like the only place in PA like that.

Others have stated Wellsboro, that's a nice place, check out Danville, that will be similar to pisgah with the steep climbs and the steep downhills, also a lot of fun. Rothrock is about an hour or so from you, (State College Area) Tons of Rocky Singletrack there. Roaring Creek is really nice, Delano is about another hour east of you, Rattling Creek is an hour south I think. Those are all places within about an hour. Which isn't too bad, last time I visited my buddy in Asheville it took us about and hour to get to Brevard for Dupont and a little less then that to ride Turkey Pen and Squirrel Gap. Also keep your eyes here on the PA Forums....many folks will post up a ride and try to meet up. I know I met a couple folks on here that way for rides, all good people so far and fun rides.

Welcome to PA....I hope you bring some of the southern weather with ya!

Oh and don't be afraid to use the back roads....sometimes they will save you tons of time. Just don't run over a roadie ;p
    Climbing Builds Character

smartass
    I have family in the area, so I'm in Williamsport about once a month. I'd offer to show you around, but I don't know of much right in the immediate area. The spots mentioned that are closer (Water Company, Rider Park) are ok, but pretty basic.

Father away (but not too far for a Saturday or Sunday ride) check out Rattling Creek: (Rattling Creek - IMBA Epic Mountain Bike Trail, Lykens borough, PA) and the trails in Rothrock, outside State College (Rothrock TrailMix - IMBA Epic Mountain Bike Trail, State College borough, PA). Raystown is good also, but basically a paved superhighway by comparison to other PA trails.

Blue Mountain, about 2hrs east is a good lift accessed DH option.

There's definitely fly fishing in the Pine Creek area north of Williamsport, maybe check with these guys if you can't find a local ( Slate Run Tackle Shop - Fly Fishing In PA)

Canoeing/kayaking etc., on Pine Creek for sure, but not whitewater. Pretty tame.

Along Pine Creek there's a nice rail trail, if you're just looking to put down miles in a straight line.

Trails should finally be drying out by the time you get here.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I felt like both Rider and Water Company were great local trails because they are empty, quiet, easy to get to, and not so crazy as to kill you on an after-work ride. While I was working up there I got to ride Water Company maybe 5 times, and every time came back relaxed. Then again I was riding from 6pm until 8pm, so didn't have much time to work with.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I live in the Nippenose Valley, just south of Williamsport. The Water Authority is nice and close, but it's mostly fire road with a little splash of non-technical single track thrown in. Its great loop for a quick easy ride after work. I usually drive down to Bald Eagle SF for longer/more exciting rides. The trails there are a lot of fun, but be ready to do some gravel grinding to get to ride the single track.

I've only been in the area a couple years, so I haven't ventured much further into the area, but I am going to carve out some time to explore Rothrock and Raystown this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just went up to Rider Park and did some of Cheryls Trail. There was a few muddy spots and a couple small pieces of snow but for the most part it was fine. It really wasn't hard to find because there is 2 signs right before it... but its Caleb Creek Rd and go to the top. I took some pics of the trail to help ya out. I would have gone more but I didn't take a pic of the trail til after I got back, I didn't know which way to go when I got up top and there was 3 ways to go so it ended up being shorter than I wanted at about 2.5 miles.

imgur: the simple image sharer

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I was also at Rider Park yesterday. 1st time there. WHOAA is correct there is still some snow and some wet spots, but overall good conditions. It is mostly double track, but looks like there could be some more technical out the back side in Tiadaghton State Forest. Great views though. Might head to Moon Lake in WB today if work lets me. Great place to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails best trails near Williamsport PA?-img_0244.jpg  

best trails near Williamsport PA?-img_0254.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sbiker1 View Post
    I was also at Rider Park yesterday. 1st time there. WHOAA is correct there is still some snow and some wet spots, but overall good conditions. It is mostly double track, but looks like there could be some more technical out the back side in Tiadaghton State Forest. Great views though. Might head to Moon Lake in WB today if work lets me. Great place to ride.
    Did you do all of Cheryls trail? I must have took that black trails from D to inbetween B-C which was all singletrack but only like .25 mile. I was confused up top there so just picked a way. Not sure if I am going to do the yellow trail with vistas next time or full Cheryls Trail. Depends if its a weekend of weekday lol. This weekend I may be heading down to Danville though.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Last year I rode mostly the perimeter as best I could, the view of the Loyalsock from the Yellow was nice. I did notice a few quad trails leading up from private land that seemed to go down to the creek, but I didn't take them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    WHOAA;

Yes, I did ride most of the main trails in the park. They are all marked, but are hard to find at some of the intersections. The Yellow trail is an up-down trail, but has the views.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Went to the Geisinger trails in Danville, PA this morning. Was a bit cold but enjoyed getting out. We did the Black Bear Trail which was like 4 miles but we did miss some of the end cause we got lost. It was a lot of loose rock and dirt. The first mile was all uphill and more open like a firetrail and for me pretty difficult especially with the wet leaves. (Out of Shape lol) The next mile was slow climb but everything from here on out was singletrack and pretty fun. Quite a bit of downhill for the last mile and a half. Overall I enjoyed it but look forward to being in better shape the next time I hit this one. So this would be great for experienced riders and its like 45 mins from Williamsport.

Link to my track.
    Geisinger Black Bear Trail to Red Lane | AllTrails.com

Trail Map
    best trails near Williamsport PA?-photo-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    BTW, that trail map shows maybe 50% of the trails that are actually there. There is a Monday night group ride there at 5:30. You gotta ride the Carousel for sure. Copperhead is a sweet trail too. Riding out there averages about 200 ft/ Mile climbing no matter where you go, killer place to get your climb on and get a work out.

In Bald Eagle SF we have a Wednesday Group Ride that leaves out of the back of the East Parking lot of R.B. Winter State Park at 5:30 starting this week. You are literally surrounded by killer riding but the trick is that most of it isn't well that well documented, aside from the aforementioned Purple Lizard maps.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOAA View Post
    Went to the Geisinger trails in Danville, PA this morning. Was a bit cold but enjoyed getting out. We did the Black Bear Trail which was like 4 miles but we did miss some of the end cause we got lost. It was a lot of loose rock and dirt. The first mile was all uphill and more open like a firetrail and for me pretty difficult especially with the wet leaves. (Out of Shape lol) The next mile was slow climb but everything from here on out was singletrack and pretty fun. Quite a bit of downhill for the last mile and a half. Overall I enjoyed it but look forward to being in better shape the next time I hit this one. So this would be great for experienced riders and its like 45 mins from Williamsport.

Link to my track.
    Geisinger Black Bear Trail to Red Lane | AllTrails.com

Trail Map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	882854
    Nice to hear about Danville. Have not gotten there yet but was wanting to take a spin out that way shortly. Probably in about a week or so

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    When everyone kept saying bald eagle I thought they meant Howard lake up past mill hall. Apparently Bald Eagle is just over the mountain from Williamsport about 30 mins. This will probably be the next weekend place I visit. I'll keep the water company and rider park for weeknights. I figured I would say something that way OP knows it isn't really that far from Williamsport.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for all of your responses guys. I am looking forward to riding your trails and getting familiar with everything. I have been busy getting things ready for my assignment in Williamsport and trying to find a place to stay I haven had too much time to research the trails but it looks like I have a few good starting points for when I get up there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    For those posting about the Danville trails..................Is there any more info online about trails/ trailheads and such? I'll be heading back midday sunday from Wellsboro area to southeast pa, maybe worth checking out if it's close to 80?
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast