Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Last time I was at the water auth trails (last fall) the map had an orange trail marked on it up off of Racoon Mtn trail. Is that the trail you guys are saying is closed? Thought that was new.
    I'm trying to head over there this evening round 6 for a quick loop.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by heyjamesguesswhat View Post
    Last time I was at the water auth trails (last fall) the map had an orange trail marked on it up off of Racoon Mtn trail. Is that the trail you guys are saying is closed? Thought that was new.
    No.

The Trail that we are referring is the yellow "Schoolhouse Road Loop" that goes around the reservoir.

Name:  884565d1359601749t-best-trails-near-williamsport-pa-544749d1274373342-williamsport-area-trail-in.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  67.6 KB

The only trail that was "closed" to MTB was the Bluebird Loop. Hively Road (red on map) is of questionable closure status.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Just got back from water company. Did remington road up to the 7 mile marker and did that loop and came back down. Love the downhill over there.

My track..
    Remington Road to 7 mile loop back down | AllTrails.com

and here is the trail map..
    http://i.imgur.com/Q6hRpYU.jpg

You are pretty much stuck to Raccoon Mt Trail, Remington Rd, 7 mile loop and Pocowanache Trail. Bluebird is no bikes. Hively road didn't really have any signs that I seen that it was closed but as you can see Heller reservoir is off limits so I don't know. Somebody passed me at the 7 mile marker and he said you can go left around to raccoon from the 7 mile loop but the other day someone told me you would have to carry your bike so I don't know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    we must have just missed each other. I just a did quick run on the Racoon Mtn loop after work.
    That trail is all I've ridden over there. Is the Pocowanache trail or 7 mile singletrack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    we must have just missed each other. I just a did quick run on the Racoon Mtn loop after work.
    That trail is all I've ridden over there. Is the Pocowanache trail or 7 mile singletrack?
    I signed out 5.

The lower half of the 7 mile is singketrack. I didn't ride the Poco trail yet but the older fellow I talked to the other day said it was real rocky but if I rode Katy Jane at rider park I should be fine.

Out of curiosity how long did it take you to do raccoon trail, trying to see if I could keep up with people without holding themy up cause I'm getting bored riding by myself. I was able to climb to the 7 mile without stopping which really surprised me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I dunno. Maybe 45 minutes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ok that's what it took the other day. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and I work til 7 Wednesday but I will probably go up thursday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Here is an updated rider park trail map... boring day

http://i.imgur.com/tG2ILF8.jpg

Not sure how rideable some of those trails up top are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey folks, there is a group working on getting the IMBA club set up locally. In the meantime, we anticipate doing some trail maintenance days in the DCNR areas off of Skyline and Armstrong. As soon as the paperwork gets sorted I'll post up the links. Or just ask Devon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There's also a new IMBA chapter for Bald Eagle SF area. I joined that one cuz its the closest and I like to ride there. But I would join one here too...
    good stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Teel View Post
    Hey folks, there is a group working on getting the IMBA club set up locally. In the meantime, we anticipate doing some trail maintenance days in the DCNR areas off of Skyline and Armstrong. As soon as the paperwork gets sorted I'll post up the links. Or just ask Devon.
    I would join up and definitely help out. I thought about the Bald Eagle one but they never ride when I am available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I stopped at the bicycle center to order a clipless setup today and they said the paperwork went through for the IMBA chapter so things are moving now.

Also, they are having a event at the South Williamsport Pool complex if anyone wants to go, he said its the 10th at noon. They had a teeter totter they built and some other log contraption. I will probably stop down, just depends on what the wife has planned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOAA View Post
    they are having a event at the South Williamsport Pool complex if anyone wants to go, he said its the 10th at noon. They had a teeter totter they built and some other log contraption.
    What kind of event?

Log contraption? like a trebuchet?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    What kind of event?

Log contraption? like a trebuchet?
    Bicycle and River Fest - May 10, 2014 | Susquehanna Greenway

This..
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/blog...a3d0bbcc07.jpg

and something that looked like a ladder but the rungs were logs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Going out to rider park tomorrow, meeting Brendan there, not sure if anyone else wants to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Me and BrendanLudgate are going to the water company at 5 if anyone wants to go ride.

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    Let's go!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hope this helps anyone find a place to ride around here. It is a strava heatmap.

Strava Global Heatmap

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    As a part of the Susquehanna Valley Velo Club/Mountain Bike group, we are putting plans in place to start mapping the local trails (other than Water Authority) so we can disseminate them to interested riders. At the current time, we're still waiting on IMBA to get our mountain bike page up and running, although you can find us here:

SVVC - The Susquehanna Valley Velo Club Official Web Page

And follow the forum here:

SuSValVelo Board

We're working on a calendar to schedule group rides---we want to meet more area riders and show people where to ride. Its all still in the works so bear with us!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Aaaaand FYI folks, feel free to follow this facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/theloyalsocktrailblazers

We post rides here as well and we'd love to have you!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by S. Teel View Post
    I was just thinking about this. I'm new to South Williamsport, and just found the water company land. I took my puppy up to Skyline Trail, and we walked back 2 miles. I found a trail that cuts south. I was thinking of getting in touch w/ DCNR and cleaning it up. It would be an awesome downhill. Any deets on the IMBA club? Im down. Cory.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Check your inbox for a DM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Club Members and Friends

Wednesday, June 11 at 5:30pm we're hosting a social group mountain bike ride at the Williamsport Water Authority for a two-hour no-drop ride. Know someone who hasn't come on one of our rides lately? Bring 'em. Know any new riders that would like to meet other mountain bike enthusiasts in the Valley? Invite 'em. Have you been riding solo at WWA and are looking to meet some other riders? Come on out and cruise with us.

This ride is part of the Susquehanna Valley Velo Club IMBA chapter recruitment effort to meet new area riders. Post-ride hangout is unplanned but possible with interest. Anyone with questions can send messages on the SVVC Forum (SuSValVelo Board), The Loyalsock Trailblazers Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/theloyalsocktrailblazers), or direct message me on the MTBR website.

Hope to see lots of riders next Wednesday!

Russell

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

best trails near Williamsport PA?

Just thought i would post a quick update on here. I finally got out to the water authority today and rode the raccoon loop twice. I rode up the gravel road first then cut right onto the trail, not sure if this is the right direction or not. It was all pretty smooth, nothing i would really consider single track but still fun. The fact that it is close to town is nice too. Maybe ill just ride my bike to the trails next time to get a few more miles in. Any suggestions for other trails to ride there? Can you keep riding up the gravel road and hit other trails?

Photocodo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Most of the time we ride up to seven mile post and loop around that silver dashed trail, then back down to raccoon and go around raccoon the trail the way you did. You can ride all the way up to that reserve if you need more miles. That loop that we do is about 10 miles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast