Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    For those posting about the Danville trails..................Is there any more info online about trails/ trailheads and such? I'll be heading back midday sunday from Wellsboro area to southeast pa, maybe worth checking out if it's close to 80?
    All the information has already been posted, at least what I could find. It's no more than 5 minutes off I-80. I posted the trail map so not sure what else you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WHOAA View Post
    All the information has already been posted, at least what I could find. It's no more than 5 minutes off I-80. I posted the trail map so not sure what else you are looking for.
    Recommended routes/ direction to hit individual trails and such. Just all out any info I can find. That's what I'm looking for.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

best trails near Williamsport PA?

Danville trails are in a pretty compact area, but hard to describe a good route due to the way the trails are laid out as well as designated. It's the kind of place that you can get a good ride in the 1st time you ride it but it takes a few times to figure out the best route. Be prepared to go up....up...up...and down....down...down. Not much is flat here. I posted the trailhead location in the 2nd post in this thread. From the parking lot, if you're looking at the mountain, go left and ride 1/4 mile down the paved road to the secondary trail head. I think this is the best way to climb to the top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Danville trails are in a pretty compact area, but hard to describe a good route due to the way the trails are laid out as well as designated. It's the kind of place that you can get a good ride in the 1st time you ride it but it takes a few times to figure out the best route. Be prepared to go up....up...up...and down....down...down. Not much is flat here. I posted the trailhead location in the 2nd post in this thread. From the parking lot, if you're looking at the mountain, go left and ride 1/4 mile down the paved road to the secondary trail head. I think this is the best way to climb to the top.
    So that would be the furthest trail on the left? Copperhead?

I think it's called Copperhead. I usually call it 'yellow' based on old trail designations. The problem with the Geisinger Trails is that almost every map you'll find is incomplete, partially because many of the trails are off the Geisinger Stewardship Forest property. And the 'official' maps don't show any of the fire roads that can be used for short linkages to connect trails. Here's a link to what is probably the most accurate representation of what's there, although it's a pretty crude map: GEISINGER TRAILS LINK Even it is missing trails down behind the cemetery (the green area.) The heavy blue/purple lines are fire roads.

The below map shows how I start probably 90% of my rides there. Then from point '20' I just make it up as I go along. Not saying this is the 'right way,' but it's pretty good. Some people start there ride by climbing the Jeep Road from the parking lot. Once you understand the trail system, I personally find that to be lame.
    Last edited by jonz; 04-10-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: changed link to show topography

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    I just went up and did the "blue dot trail" yesterday. Conditions are perfect. If anyone doesn't know, you park at the top of Sulphur Springs Rd., then travel back skyline drive about 4 miles until you reach the Verizon(I think) tower on your right. Take the little gravel road until you get onto the trail. If you reach a clearing/field on your right, you went a tad too far. I ended up on the power line, then took a right to bring me back to skyline drive. That is all I have found so far. Btw make sure you take the slight right when the blue dot starts ( there are 2 boulders), otherwise you'll end up half-way down the mountain towards 15.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLudgate View Post
    I just went up and did the "blue dot trail" yesterday. Conditions are perfect. If anyone doesn't know, you park at the top of Sulphur Springs Rd., then travel back skyline drive about 4 miles until you reach the Verizon(I think) tower on your right. Take the little gravel road until you get onto the trail. If you reach a clearing/field on your right, you went a tad too far. I ended up on the power line, then took a right to bring me back to skyline drive. That is all I have found so far. Btw make sure you take the slight right when the blue dot starts ( there are 2 boulders), otherwise you'll end up half-way down the mountain towards 15.
    I don't think you were in the right place but here is a map from another thread. Pretty sure you park on Mosquito Valley Rd.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/pen...-info-wmwa.jpg

Also I had a short window to get a ride in but I went to Rider Park again. Katy Jane to Saddle trail was a lot of rocks but fun. Wasn't singletrack but was nice downhilling it.

Heres my track...
    Katy Jane to Saddle Trail in Rider Park | AllTrails.com

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    I don't think you were in the right place but here is a map from another thread. Pretty sure you park on Mosquito Valley Rd.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/pen...-info-wmwa.jpg

Also I had a short window to get a ride in but I went to Rider Park again. Katy Jane to Saddle trail was a lot of rocks but fun. Wasn't singletrack but was nice downhilling it.

Heres my track...
    Katy Jane to Saddle Trail in Rider Park | AllTrails.com

This is my first time ever using a forum, somehow, so idk if I posted that as a reply to a comment or not. I didn't mean to, if so. The trail system I was referring to is behind McDonald's in South Williamsport. Nice mellow rocky/rooty stuff. I haven't been to the water authority since last season, but the huge yellow loop on that map is deffinetly closed. I still have yet to take the red one. And yea, that trail that Katy Jane turns in to is pretty rocky lol. The first time I hit it, I sort-of bombed the first smooth part, then hit those rocks at speed... Great time!

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    I haven't been to the water authority since last season, but the huge yellow loop on that map is deffinetly closed. I still have yet to take the red one.
    Correction: the first half of the yellow is open.(just can't loop around) The red one is now private.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    The Yellow Loop at Water Authority has a gate to keep vehicle traffic (if it got that far) from travelling around the reservoir. This gate is about 2 miles beyond the "split" on the Yellow Loop if you viewed that map above. When I was up there last year, the gate didn't have any signage on it. You simply passed underneath and continued on your way.

That being said, the Mosquito Valley Reservoir is seriously posted beyond the limits of the trail. They don't want anyone messing with the dam or water quality, if you know what I mean.

It's possible that Water Authority didn't like folks up that far and posted the gate.

However, they'd also have to post the other end of the yellow loop where it comes back together from the south.

Did you see signage that specifically said "Mosquito Valley Road closed to public" or something?
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    This is my first time ever using a forum, somehow, so idk if I posted that as a reply to a comment or not. I didn't mean to, if so. The trail system I was referring to is behind McDonald's in South Williamsport. Nice mellow rocky/rooty stuff. I haven't been to the water authority since last season, but the huge yellow loop on that map is deffinetly closed. I still have yet to take the red one. And yea, that trail that Katy Jane turns in to is pretty rocky lol. The first time I hit it, I sort-of bombed the first smooth part, then hit those rocks at speed... Great time!
    Yea I just assumed you were talking about the water authority cause you didn't quote, sorry. So you start out up top then go down and ride back up? I would like to bomb something first for once. My body is beat from climbing and it makes the downhill more strenuous.

Katy Jane definitely was fun I don't how fast people bomb stuff like that but my max speed was 25 and damn she was rattling lol. I went up right at the parking lot so I think I went backwards but the downhill was very long because I cut down saddle trail. Probably a good 3/4 of a mile.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    The Yellow Loop at Water Authority has a gate to keep vehicle traffic (if it got that far) from travelling around the reservoir. This gate is about 2 miles beyond the "split" on the Yellow Loop if you viewed that map above. When I was up there last year, the gate didn't have any signage on it. You simply passed underneath and continued on your way.

That being said, the Mosquito Valley Reservoir is seriously posted beyond the limits of the trail. They don't want anyone messing with the dam or water quality, if you know what I mean.

It's possible that Water Authority didn't like folks up that far and posted the gate.

However, they'd also have to post the other end of the yellow loop where it comes back together from the south.

Did you see signage that specifically said "Mosquito Valley Road closed to public" or something?
    So only half the yellow loop is open? Is that permanent? And what is the Green Racoon Mt trail like?

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    Aaah. That makes a bit of sense. I feel like it did have a sign, though. Otherwise I would normally just go under/around it as you said. Hoping to get up there Sunday. I'll post the status on here if it is dry enough to get that far.

Correction: the first half of the yellow is open.(just can't loop around) The red one is now private.
    At last check of property ownership in Lycoming County, Water Authority still owns all the land surrounding Hagerman's Run Reservoir and then some. That land borders State Forest Land.

Municipal Water Authorities tend to take a pretty lazy approach to managing properties. They don't want people messing with water sources, headwaters and dams. At the same time, they don't want to have to constantly clean up trails that are for public use.

I once asked a Water Authority Manager in North East, PA (near Erie) his opinions on whether mountain bikers could use the are surrounding reservoirs to build trails. They had 1000 acres surrounding one large reservoir (where people had trails) and another 500 acres nearby that was posted as closed to public. Same ownership, different rules. Curious.

He said that the North East Borough Water Authority does not provide active recreation on its properties. Well obviously they did because the news had just done an article on how awesome the 1000 acre property was for fisherman and hikers. I asked, "are there any differences between how those two properties are managed?" He responded "no, they both have Fish and Game Patrol, folks just don't hike at the smaller property." I asked, "can I hunt at the smaller property" he said "yes", I asked "can I fish there?" He said, "no, we don't permit people to use that lake due to emergency access." I asked "So I can hike there?" He said "well we don't really provide trails, so I don't know why you'd want to..." to which I replied "but what if my hiking was for hunting?" he said "well I guess you could...you'd have to get written permission to hunt." I asked "what if my hunting involved using a bicycle to access parts of the property?"

At this point he was clearly frustrated and responded (paraphrased as), "look man, my job is to provide clean drinking water to the Borough, not manage the land, if you want to ride out there you should approach the Borough Council."

What I'm getting at is the Williamsport Water Authority probably finds it easier to just post the whole damn area as "private" and "no access" than to worry about maintaining trails.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    The Yellow Loop at Water Authority has a gate to keep vehicle traffic (if it got that far) from travelling around the reservoir.
    Hahaha Yea, no clue how they get their trucks up that slope.

Brendan
    Apr 2014

What I'm getting at is the Williamsport Water Authority probably finds it easier to just post the whole damn area as "private" and "no access" than to worry about maintaining trails.
    Ohk yea, because I remember that trail (I think Hively Rd.) having a "private property" sign, even though it just leads to a reservoir. That was a great trail, too.

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    So only half the yellow loop is open? Is that permanent? And what is the Green Racoon Mt trail like?
    I really enjoy the green trail if I start at the end that comes off the main fire road(yellow trail). Mellow climb of maybe 100-150 vertical ft., then it is basically flat for a bit( you can book ass if you have energy), then a mellow downhill, leading to some more flat. If you are strapped for time, it is an easy trail to complete in an hour or so.

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    Yea I just assumed you were talking about the water authority cause you didn't quote, sorry. So you start out up top then go down and ride back up? I would like to bomb something first for once. My body is beat from climbing and it makes the downhill more strenuous.

Katy Jane definitely was fun I don't how fast people bomb stuff like that but my max speed was 25 and damn she was rattling lol. I went up right at the parking lot so I think I went backwards but the downhill was very long because I cut down saddle trail. Probably a good 3/4 of a mile.
    I always just go straight up from the parking lot. Not sure what you mean by starting at the top. The first time I hit that trail, yea, my arms, legs, and fingers were all killing me. I was basically on a ridged bike...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I always just go straight up from the parking lot. Not sure what you mean by starting at the top. The first time I hit that trail, yea, my arms, legs, and fingers were all killing me. I was basically on a ridged bike...
    I just meant starting at the top somewhere would be nice once in a while, the way you described that trail off of skyline it seems like that's it.

As for Katy Jane yea I went the same way but i think most people go the opposite.

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    I just meant starting at the top somewhere would be nice once in a while, the way you described that trail off of skyline it seems like that's it.

As for Katy Jane yea I went the same way but i think most people go the opposite.
    Now I got ya'. Have you ever heard of the haystacks( rock formations) in Sullivan County, by or in Laporte? There is a trail that leads to them that is like that. Beautiful ride, and enough rocks/roots to make it "technical" ( idk, I'm new to riding. Not sure how technical things can get lol). Goes down to a creek with a great swim spot.

A lot of times, if I'm short on daylight or time in general, I'll ride up Katy Jane, sit at the bench for a few minutes, then turn around to ride back down the way I came. That usually gives you enough time to recharge a bit.

best trails near Williamsport PA?-williamsportwaterauthority.jpg

best trails near Williamsport PA?-544749d1274373342-williamsport-area-trail-info-wmwa.jpg

Here's a map I found with the main loops people tend to use for MTB.

The grey line I believe is the Water Authority Property, but don't hold me to that. The darker green line is the State Forest Property. It looks like they overlap, but its hard to tell.

The light green lines are trails, red line is Hagerman Road. Hagerman goes straight into one of the exclusion areas which might be why its marked as private, now. Hard to tell.

Either way, lots of land out there. You can probably ride just about any trail from the Water Authority Parking lot except Bluebird (Blue Area) and near/inside the "exclusion zone" around the Reservoirs. Those are the yellow areas on the map. I repeat, DO NOT ride in the yellow areas on the above map. They will be posted heavily and apparently are under surveillance.

If you run into anyone out there in a truck with Water Authority (WMWA), stop and ask them if you're allowed to ride. If he says "no" ask him specifically what areas are allowed and not because I think the public believes most everywhere up there is open.

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    [QUOTE=PHeller;11128056

Here's a map I found with the main loops people tend to use for MTB.[/QUOTE]

That first map is interesting. I've had trouble finding maps of that land. Thanks

and to anyone who is unfamiliar with the land; the map in the ammo box at the entrance has a lot more trails on it. I'll take a pic. of it soon and post it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Went up to the Water company today. I enjoyed it, it wasn't real technical but it was about 6 1/2 miles and I went counter clockwise on Raccoon Trail. The downhill was great, almost 2 miles long and was doing about 30mph hitting the bumps that are every so often on the way down.

When I finished I ran into a guy and he told me to go clockwise on Raccoon but go straight up remington road and there is a mile or so loop off of it that is all singletrack then go back down the long downhill. I will try it next time.

Also, as a heads up there is a new trail blazed. I picked my bike up from the bike center and was talking to Devin, he said his dad and dcnr went over to blaze and clean it up. He said there is a 5 miles or something of downhill but if you go by yourself its 5 or 6 back up armstrong road. He said to park at the park across from the book store and ride south and cross over to Armstrong rd off 15. then just follow that and its marked where you cut off armstrong rd. I would love to do it but I don't know about a 6 mile uphill back to my car. It'd be better to have someone park on armstrong road over in muncy then drive back lol.

Also, I grabbed a map of the water company and rider park just got to hook up my scanner.

Brendan
    Apr 2014
    Yea, Devon was telling me about that sanctioned DCNR trail. I'm supposed to go up there one of these days with him. I always do the raccoon trail clockwise, That's fun. Look for me next time you're out. I have a yellow/green bike and jersey. Going over to water authority now. if you happen to see this within the next ten minutes, come join.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Yea, Devon was telling me about that sanctioned DCNR trail. I'm supposed to go up there one of these days with him. I always do the raccoon trail clockwise, That's fun. Look for me next time you're out. I have a yellow/green bike and jersey. Going over to water authority now. if you happen to see this within the next ten minutes, come join.
    Seen it but off to the in laws for dinner. We should get together some other time though and if anyone else wants to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast