Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here. Best Riding in PA???

Hey All,

After doing some riding in the Laurel Highlands last year while on business, I’ve decided to make a trip down to PA for some riding with some friends. Could anyone make any recommendations as to the BEST trails to hit? Also in surrounding states, we’re not limited to PA. Here’s the criteria:

3 or 4 places
    20+ miles, we like to ride all day
    the more singletrack the better
    decent trail marking
    rocky, rooty, technical! (us Canucks love rocks)

If anyone has any good suggestions, I would appreciate it!! FYI, here’s what I put together so far:

Merli Sarnoski Park, Carbondale PA
    Laurel Higlands, Laughlintown PA
    Morraine State Park. Pittsburgh PA
    Roth Rock Ride (R3), State College PA

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Phil
    Toronto, Canada

mtbr member
    Check out Michaux State Forest. Rocky, rooty and delicious. You can ride all day and not cross your tracks, and more then likely you won't see anyone else either.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

VMB
    Here's a link to the Rattling Creek Singletracker's website: RCST. They've got exactly what you're looking for. Here in the Lehigh Valley we have some great riding but not for any all day gigs. You could hop around from place to place or hit some trails in the Jim Thorpe area. Check out www.bikevmb.com for some trail maps and info. We may be able to hook you up with a guide or something.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks guys for your help! Michaux looks right up my alley, but is there any singletrack or is it all ATV size?

Also if anyone could give any input on what was already on my list, that would be appreciated!

phil

mtbr member
    They just added a new mtb trail up at Laurel Mountain State Park. Seven Springs Ski Resort is pretty close to Laurel Mtn, you can ride the 24 hour race course at 7 Springs which is really fun.

If you head up towards the Pittsburgh area there is a lot of good riding. Boyce Park, Roaring Run (Appollo), Hartwood Acres, Deer Lakes Park, Frick Park, Moraine, and North Park are all in a relatively small area. You'd need a good week or more to ride everything in the Pgh area.

Or you could head down to West Virginia. Coopers Rock is supposed to be a good place to ride, and its only an hour south of the Laurel Highlands area. Maybe check out Wisp and Snowshoe Ski Resorts in WV.

Old Fart

If you want rooty technical riding

Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    Hey All,

After doing some riding in the Laurel Highlands last year while on business, I’ve decided to make a trip down to PA for some riding with some friends. Could anyone make any recommendations as to the BEST trails to hit? Also in surrounding states, we’re not limited to PA. Here’s the criteria:

3 or 4 places
    decent trail marking
    If you don't mind the drive the area around Davis, West Virginia has a ton of great riding. In that area you have the trails in and around Black Water Falls State Park (Davis), The Timberline resort (site of the 24 hours at Canaan) & Dolly Sods. Close by are Snowshoe & Slatyfork. We rented a condo there (Timberline) pretty cheap a few years ago with a hot tub for the after ride beers and soak.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper
    If you don't mind the drive the area around Davis, West Virginia has a ton of great riding. In that area you have the trails in and around Black Water Falls State Park (Davis), The Timberline resort (site of the 24 hours at Canaan) & Dolly Sods. Close by are Snowshoe & Slatyfork. We rented a condo there (Timberline) pretty cheap a few years ago with a hot tub for the after ride beers and soak.
    But this is a thread about riding in PA....anyways, Bungalow/Burma Road trails around Tamaqua, Camelback trails, RB Winter park, Bald Eagle State Forest, Danville (Geisinger) trails, Prompton....I am sure there are more, but pretty much you could start at one ned of the state and make your way across. The best thing to do is hook up with some of the local clubs (several larger ones mentioned here) and have at it. The best singletrack is almost always found with a local guide....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wow guys,

Thanks for the great feedback! Sounds like I can spend a month there…
    I’ve found I can only do 3 rides on this trip (short stay), so I want to make them worth it and day long epics. I agree that I have to get in touch with some locals (guides) to find the best trails.

So, that being said, what are the top 3 rides in PA? (we’d like to ride 5+ hours each day

Thanks,
    phil

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    3 or 4 places
    decent trail marking

Roth Rock Ride (R3), State College PA
    The R3 is OK, but a much better 20 mile loop can be put together in the same area. The R3 was put together years and years ago, when there was allot less single track in Rothrock. Ask over at the SCE group's website at: http://www.nittanymba.net/

mtbr member
    click on my signatures.

mtbr member
    Miles and miles of singletrack in Michaux. Check out Gettysburg Bicycle's web page for a link to their race series. There are some decent maps there. My personal favorite is the Terror of Teaberry course.

mtbr member
    We make a yearly pilgrimage up to Rothrock, camp in Greenwood Furnace (good camping with a lake for post ride swimming). The are miles and miles of single track. This area is home to the Wilderness 101 and some other long races. Great climbs, long downhills, pristine forest, super fun. I use the guide book from this website http://www.grizguides.com/guidebooks.php. I found it to be a very good guide book for the area.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Good stuff,

So I’m thinking we hit:

Roth Rock State Forest
    Micheaux State Forest
    Merli Sirnoski (Norh East)

And maybe Laurel Highlands if we have enough time…

Does that sound decent for a 5 day trip?

Thanks
    phil

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    you can do at least 4 days of good riding right in the Rothrock/ state college area, 3 in rothrock, and one day up in black moshanon, all good single track.
    like raymo said, check in at www.nittanymba.org or drop me an email through the site and im sure we can hook ya up with guides for at least any weekends and we have a couple of ride directions on the site as well as maps, but ask for routes, as there are a few trails that you definitely want to hit one way and not the other. the griz guide works too, but theres been new trail put in since then so I would check in with us first for suggestions
    personally I would head down to lykens for the rattling creek stuff for a day as well but Ive not been down to Micheaux (we're so spoiled up here its hard to make the trip down)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Quebec run

If you make it to the Laurel Highlands, try and hit the Quebec Run Wild area. The loop we typically do is approx 18 miles but feels like 30. There is potential to do 30 plus miles. Absolutely beautiful singletrack. Not easy to find but definitely worth the drive. Email me if you decide to go and I will give directions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bald Eagle State Forest gets my vote for best riding in PA. It's located roughly between Lewisburg, Woodward and Williamsport. For every trail mentioned in the guide books and on websites like this, there are probably five more that are just as worthy and just as unknown.

Life is Good
    If you like rocky singletrack, Laurel Mountain State Park is full of it.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Old Fart

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    But this is a thread about riding in PA....anyways, Bungalow/Burma Road trails around Tamaqua, Camelback trails, RB Winter park, Bald Eagle State Forest, Danville (Geisinger) trails, Prompton....I am sure there are more, but pretty much you could start at one ned of the state and make your way across. The best thing to do is hook up with some of the local clubs (several larger ones mentioned here) and have at it. The best singletrack is almost always found with a local guide....
    I guess it would be better to give no information since the original poster asked about riding in contiguous states. He should have never mentioned that in a PA forum.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'll take you up on that coal miner!

i'll show up at the house sometime and we'll set up a guided tour for me, eh?

get your butt out sometime. haven't seen you in forever!

RCST Bash. september 13th -16th schedule the time off now!

banned
    The two places I've gone to are Rothrock and Prompton and I rank them as world class riding. The local riders are really nice to meet and helpful at both places. That makes them even more world class.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    i think it really depends on how much travel you wanted to do. I think it would be cool to check out a few different areas as PA riding is quite varied. if you dont mind doing a ride then traveling a few hours then the "tour da pa" would be pretty cool. if you want to stay put for a 3-4 days of it, state college is a great base camp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rothrock is a great place to ride. Get a purple lizard map from one of the bike shops in state college. The trails are marked pretty well on the map and someone at the shop can reccomend a good loop. Michaux is close to home for me so it is my personal favorite. Go to racemichaux.com and get some race maps. The Maximus course uses a lot of the ATV trails but is still fun. I raced the 25 mile Dark Hollow course yesterday and it is more single track and better riding in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks everyone for the excellent responses!

I think we will hit State College for a 2-3 days of riding.

If anyone would like to be a guide for us, we would appreciate it! I’ve been looking on Motionbased.com for some GPS routes in the area. If anyone has some links to some great rides there, I can download them to my Garmin unit and go from there…

We will be there the weekend of August 4-5 if anyone is interested,

Thanks!
    phil

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    unfortunatley for you Ill be in Utah that weekend, but also keep in mind that the wilderness 101 race will be going on that saturday. My suggestion would be to ride on the tussey side of the forest on saturday - race day, and start a little later in the morning as the riders should be through by mid morning, at least the majority of them. really the only place you would run into them is on lonberger trail, they will be coming down it, so you really dont want to be heading up it when they are racing. We dont have any gps tracks on our website yet (but I did just get a unit so im gonna start working on that) but we do have a couple of ride suggestions and I can get you another one for the coopers gap area. theres also printable maps on there as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    We can ride elsewhere on Saturday if you have some other suggestions, then ride the Tussey side on Sunday…

I found this, ‘Tussey A’. Is this decent? http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2458147

Thanks!
    phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast