mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Best Ride Not Too Far Off I-80?

Hi, I drive pretty much the entire length of PA I-80 a few times a year. Drove it yesterday and was thinking there has to be some good riding here. So what's the best ride I could hit that's not too far off 80? Looking for good, fun, advanced level singletrack. Thanks for the help.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    theres a ride called the Rockton Trails right off I-80 at the Pennfield exit, just up the mountain from Clearfield. I don't have the map here with me but you could possible contact the Moshanon State Forest office and track down a map. sometimes they have them at the main trail head, I think its on rt 322, just south and west of the exit, but i would not count on it.
    Black Moshanon is not too far of the interstate either, theres a great ride there called the rock run trails. the trailhead is on rt 504 just south of the state park so check that out on a map and see if its within reason for you and let me know, ive got a gps track of it, I had scanned the map as well but can't seem to find it on this computer, but i could track it down for ya

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

Kennerdale/kenerdell Is sweet

I cant spell it but i love to ride it
    on the western side of the state

at RTE 8 and I-80 go north on 8 to old rte 8 It y's to the left. Go about two miles to pearl take a right on some little ass dirt road and take it back under rte 8. This road will curve left but stay on it till you get to the trailheads there are 2 on this road very close together. One has a map check it out. Phenomenal!!! advanced to expert

check the reviews
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.

mtbr member
    yep...kdell is home trail for me and is probably the best if not top two or three in Wpa.

be prepared for long river climbs and mediocre signage. have time and water to get a bit lost. take a map. pm me i can get you a good digital copy.
    Last edited by defcon4; 08-12-2008 at 09:51 AM.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The ride off route 8 sounds good. My dad owns a house on Conneaut Lake. It looks like I could just drive there from the house. I was thinking of making a stop on the way out there, but this would be better. What's the ride like?

Just a lerker at heart
    May 2008
    you can do a quick 6 mile loop, or spend all day. You'll get from nice flowing trail to really steep climbs. I'm heading out tomorrow and again on saturday probably.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is some more info on Kennerdell.

http://www.spokejunkies.com/reviews/...age=kennerdell

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'll give a second shout out to the trails off the Pennfield exit, near Clearfield.

Rockton Mt. trails....here is some more info...http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...2_4573crx.aspx

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Just to give you some variety, try Moraine State Park. Not the paved bike trail, but the real honest MTB trail with a rock garden & everything. It's near my in-laws & I rode it a few weeks ago. To be fair, I only rode the 1st half mile of rock garden & gave up. Don't get me wrong - it's only an intermediate rock garden but my rock skills aren't so good & I didn't have shin or elbow protection. Some day I'll go back to buff up my rock skills.

From the I-80/I-79 exchange at Grove City, take I-79 south to Rt 422, then 422 east about 10 minutes toward Butler. See the trails forum link below for directions within the park. The whole trip is 35-45 minutes from I-80.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4573crx.aspx
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

trail addict
    The Geisinger trails in Danville are worth checking out. Get off at the Danville exit (there was construction there, but should be gone now) and you are probably less than five miles from the trailhead. There are about 15 miles of trails from fireroads to flowy singletrack to rocky, rooty, techy sections. It is good for anything from hardtail to five inch dual suspension. I alternate between a hardtail and a six inch, which is a little overkill. I generally average one or two rides per week there when the weather is nice. If you want to meet there, let me know.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Good stuff in White Haven (can't get any closer to I-80). And a few miles from there in Mountain Top there are at least 30 miles of killer singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix
    Just to give you some variety, try Moraine State Park. Not the paved bike trail, but the real honest MTB trail with a rock garden & everything. It's near my in-laws & I rode it a few weeks ago. To be fair, I only rode the 1st half mile of rock garden & gave up. Don't get me wrong - it's only an intermediate rock garden but my rock skills aren't so good & I didn't have shin or elbow protection. Some day I'll go back to buff up my rock skills.

From the I-80/I-79 exchange at Grove City, take I-79 south to Rt 422, then 422 east about 10 minutes toward Butler. See the trails forum link below for directions within the park. The whole trip is 35-45 minutes from I-80.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4573crx.aspx
    way beyond intermediate. it doesnt get much harder xc than moraine. ride 4 hours at kdell and you are just as tired as a 2 hr ride at moraine. its an expert level trail. Dont sell yourself short, its a bee-otch of a ride !
    Chance favors the prepared mind