mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Best places to ride in the poconos? Hows the weather in May?

Taking a trip to the poconos the last week of may and looking for some good places to ride. I live in VA and it will be me and a few friends looking for some sweet singletrack. Also how is the weather in the poconos in may and which county is the best place to stay? thanks!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Welcome!

Riding in the Poconos? Hum? The Poconos aren't known for lots of trails.

Some main areas surrounding are: Jim Thorpe, Lehigh Valley, Wilkes Barre

All have great trails. What/how do you usually ride?

Weather in May could be rain or sun.

ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I love swift single track with some nice jumps and obstacles along the way. Some technical rocky stuff is alot of fun as well. We'll pretty much ride anything you put in front of us though. I was really looking at Jim Thorpe and places like that. I was hoping to find place to stay with trails practically in the back yard...lol.

How long of a trip? Where do you want to stay (campground, house rental, hotel?) There's actually not much riding in the heart of the Poconos (a sort of vaguely defined region) - it's mostly along the western edge, along I-81, I-476. As you go further east, you'll find less options.

If you're camping, best options would be Jim Thorpe campground, Hickory Run State Park, Lackawanna State Park, Francis Slocum State Park. (LSP and FSSP have trail systems) All 4 would be good staging points to be able to drive to trails.

House rentals - a lot of these will be in the Lake Harmony, Mount Pocono area, or along the Delaware Water Gap. There's great hiking along the Gap, but not much in the way of MTB. Generally, I think if you go this route, you'll find yourself having to drive further to get to trails.

If you're just going to hotel it, I'd consider Wilkes-Barre/Scranton/Clarks Summit - plenty of places to stay, eat, and drink.

IMO, I'd find a place close to I-81, I-476, somewhere between Jim Thorpe and Clarks Summit. Regardless of where you go, you'll find plenty of technical rocky stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i was actually looking for house rentals and there are tons of them. There is several in Jim thorpe and surrounding areas so ima start looking at the west side. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coilEX
    I love swift single track with some nice jumps and obstacles along the way. Some technical rocky stuff is alot of fun as well.
    Swift singletrack is at a premium in the glacier-formed Pocono plateau, so its best to set your expectations to classic tight, technical, rocky east coast style riding. There will be sections of swift, but there will be at least equal (if not more) parts rocky technical than many sections of the country. Where are you coming in from? That may give a good idea for us to make recommendations on trails to hit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    coming from southern va(danville/lynchburg area). I absolutely love Anglers Park here in danville and candlers mountain in lynchburg was nice but i havent been back since they started building that ski place. Theres a lot of fast past and a good chunk of uphill too with a few rocky trails and jumps and see saws along the way. Im pretty much looking for the craziest trails they have up there to be honest with a few mild ones for my fiance.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Is there any place like Blue Marsh within reasonable driving distance of where they're going to be? That seems like a really good long-as-u-want mellow ride to me. Disclaimer: I've done the circumnavigation only once, but it was on a rigid 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Is there any place like Blue Marsh within reasonable driving distance of where they're going to be? That seems like a really good long-as-u-want mellow ride to me. Disclaimer: I've done the circumnavigation only once, but it was on a rigid 29er.
    Don't know. Other than French Creek, Green Lane, and Wiss I'm not too familiar with anything south of Jim Thorpe.
    CoilEX - I think JT will be a good home base for you - you will be w/in an hour of hundreds of miles of trail.
    For the Lehigh Valley / Jim Thorpe area Dankilling is a great resource. I'll PM you this weekend with rides north of JT. Keep in mind that Jim Thorpe is a shadow of its former self - thanks to the Pennsylvania Game Commission, many of the best trails are of questionable legality. The local bike shop in JT is a great resource.
    Last edited by jonz; 02-27-2010 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I checked out the SVMTB club site and the videos of Anglers park, so have an idea of what you are used to. In the JT area there is a lot of rock, but if you get a good guide there is still some incredible singletrack to be had (although none of it is mapped.) As far as gnar and technical trails there is quite a bit around Big Pocono, but again local knowledge is key. The Lehigh Valley area has lots of great singletrack, mapped at bikevmb.com. If I'm around I would be happy to give you the tour. Shoot me a PM if you want and I can get you started.

ganginwood
    coil,
    your not going to find anything in nepa that is similar to the IMT in damascus or to the single track in christiansburg. i've done my fair share in southern va....i'd say your best bang for the buck would be to stay in state college and check out the tussey mt trail system. plenty there.

go to this forum http://www.nittanymba.org/
    you'll find a guide in under an hour. ask for kevin if nobody steps up to the plate.

state college also gives you a night life, music and hotel options
    also...your just a skip from black moshannon state park, moraine and the quehanna wild area.....some of the best riding we have to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct