Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Best Place to Ride and Swim in Pennsylvania

This summer is a muggy one! When it's not raining, it's steamy, and that means muddy trails and sweaty riders.

So, where are some of the best places to mountain bike and cool off after, whether in a stream, pool, or waterpark?

Bonus points go to deep swimming holes and proximity to trails/campgrounds.

I'll go first: Raystown Lake. Camp, ride, and swim, all within walking distance. Arguably some of the best riding in the state.

There have got to be plenty of others.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Moraine State Park and Roaring Run in Apollo also come to mind.

If you're fine with Rail trail, the GAP is a good place, with Ohiopyle as the destination. There's some mountain biking to be had out there, but is UBER technical.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Lackawanna SP has a pool, but there's no swimming in the lake AFAIK.

7 Tubbs can be good for cooling off, not as much trail there though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Unfortunately, PA isn't quite up there with VT for swimming holes. (Nor with VTs tolerance of buff dips), but this list is very helpful. Cross-reference it with your favorite trails.

SwimmingHoles.info Pennsylvania Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

Also, for a specific recommendation: I did Swatara last summer on a ridiculously hot/humid day. Afterwards, I found a swimming hole under the bridge over the AT (Appalachian Trail) just down river from the park proper. It's a short car ride, south out of the Swatara trailhead lot ... then look for cars parked by the side of the road. incidentally, that's also the best way to find "new" swimming holes: cars parked -- seemingly by nothing else other than water nearby -- by the road on a hot summer day.

Crap: also, bear and I did a great ride out of RB Winter State Park (central PA) -- I think one of the Transylvania stages -- but RB Winter's lake is beautiful and cold. Great stuff!

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    7 Tubs has a bunch of natural waterslides away from the parking area, if you know where to look, but it is frigid. You can make a fun ride of it if you are willing to explore and are willing to ride plenty of quad trails. I usually start at the dispair and climb. There are some cool down hills and small water holes along the way. If you head up off the gravel road there is a bunch of infrastructure to be seen. Great SS trails.

Merli-Sanorki has swimming in the lake too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I thought you weren't allowed to swim in the tubs

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You are not allowed in the tubs, people do though. I would not because of all the broken beer bottles. But I was refering to several features away from the parking area. Once you cross the colapsed bridge it is no longer the county park.

There are atleast 3 creeks that converge in that area, go explore them, there are some pretty neat things to see. The 7 tubs themselves are cool but there is a whole lot more to see in that little area.

I am not condoning swimming there but it does occur.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    French Creek has good trails, a public pool, and a place to grab grub and a brew or two. Haven't been to the Inn since the fancy remod, but they used to have a bar and outdoor deck downstairs.
    The Inn at Saint Peter's Village
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Lower Earth, the Millie... ...if your a local you'll know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Lower Earth, the Millie... ...if your a local you'll know!
    Actually that's Upper Earth. That's o.k. - it only took me a few years to get it right! But yeah, a swim in the Millie would be a great way to finish up a Rollercoaster ride.

BTW Lower Earth (I believe) is the Snappers, with a couple of stream crossings of its own.

mtbr member
    LSP- has a pool.
    Moosic- has Connors dam at the bottom of Gene's trail and Connors. You can park at the cul-de-sac in the industrial park. Go around the gate and stay to your right. I highly recommend keeping your shoes on thou since there are broken bottles and a chance of snakes.
    Merli has swimming in the lake with a lifeguard on staff.
    Prompton- the trails are built around the lake. I'll jump in by the boat launch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster View Post
    French Creek has good trails, a public pool, and a place to grab grub and a brew or two. Haven't been to the Inn since the fancy remod, but they used to have a bar and outdoor deck downstairs.
    The Inn at Saint Peter's Village
    instead of paying for the pool at french creek, just go to Saint Peter's Villiage and swim there, it's great!

(The) Rattling Creek
    Prompton, though you're not supposed to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    green wood furnace state park

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Mauch Chunk Lake Park, just west of Jim Thorpe, has some camping as well as swimming (at a beach), and there are plenty of trails nearby, including some just north of the lake that take you out to where old strip mines (the "Blue Ponds") have filled with water. They're nice and cold, and probably more than 100 feet deep.

The east side of Broad Mountain (a few miles north of town) got beat up with dirt road construction recently, but there are a few miles of singletrack and plenty of jeep roads, and cooling off under Glen Onoko Falls is always fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Yellow Creek, Indiana, PA

I'm about to rave in a thread about this place.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    How could no one have mentioned Devil's Pool at the Wiss yet?

(Yes, that's a joke.)