mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Best directions for Raystown loops??

We have a group coming to Raystown from Richmond to ride next weekend. We are hoping to ride every trail at least once. Are looking for recommended directions of travel for the different loops. I'm guessing that each trail, especially the longer ones, have preferred directions of travel for the best downhills. Would love to know what some of the best downs are so if we only hit a trail once we ride it in the "right" direction. Any suggestions appreciated...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

raystown loops

Not trying to be a smart a**,but do a search on Raystown here in Pa Forum, tons of good info.

If you haven't been to Raystown yet,..your in for a real treat.Start early,can get a little crowded on a nice,sunny, fall type of weather weekend.

Chilling out
    +1 on searching - there's tons of crap queried and responded.

But, last weekend I was out there with a couple guys and we did "left turns at all intersections" on the eastern side, refueled, rode across stony trail to the west side, then did "right turns at all intersections".

This doesn't cover QUITE everything on the east side, and there's some worthy stuff it missies, but it was a nearly-30m-day so not like it was anything to complain about.

Note: west side seems "more difficult" and has more extended climbing than the west side, but much less overall mileage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I did do a search and found some info but was looking for all the nuggets of wisdom I could find. Keep em coming...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Stop in at this bike shop and pick up a map for $6.00 it is right off of 22 in huntingdon it show the best flow for the different trails

Rothrock Outfitters

mtbr member
    you should really take osprey DOWN towards the hydro loop/bottom of the trails...i came up that trail once and it was BAD. also, when you get to the hydro loop, you have to do it in both directions because it's the best trail there..clock wise and couter clockwise...
    cas im diggin a ditch where madness gives a bit.

Chilling out
    If you do outer-loops like I described, you never spend significant time on Osprey. FWIW.

But yeah, I could loop Hydro a couple times.

Ray's Revenge is fun like that too, bidirectionally. :^)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    If you do outer-loops like I described, you never spend significant time on Osprey. FWIW.
    that's a shame because osprey is one of the best trails
    cas im diggin a ditch where madness gives a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Riding up Osprey is a bit of a grunt but not bad at all compared to climbs at other places in PA.
    A loop I like is:
    Buck>Allie>Red Legs>Loco-motive>Berry Patch>Rays>Berry Patch>Ridge>Grippis>Allie>Buck.

Another favorite (in order):
    Buck>Doe>Sleek Dog>Eagle>Hydro (counter closckwise)>Osprey (up)>Fawn>Buck.

each of these should take about 1 1/2 hours at a moderate pace.

psycho cyclo addict
    The Western trails are the most fun IMO... a bit rougher than the East side loops for sure.

Park near the entrance on Bakers Hollow Rd (or ride from the campsites if you don't mind a bit 'o pavement riding to get to the trailhead) start down Stony Trail and stay to the right all the way around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Gotta try those western trails next time I'm out that way!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Although I have ridin both east & west sides the western trails are my favorite trails now and hardly anybody uses them (shuush) in my time there riding the west trails. There were alot of people in the parking lot but everyone was riding the "east" buck/doe side.

On the west side I did what I call loops (inner & outer) counter clockwise and it was 16 miles. There is only one little rocky place that is technical. Be careful as you can really pickup speed on these trails and my bike outperformed me as I wrecked 200 yards returning to the parking lot. Dang!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by antgrave View Post
    that's a shame because osprey is one of the best trails
    +1......I ride there every weekend and going down Osprey is by far one of the fastest and most fun trails in the entire trail network.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Pretty much every trail there is great in both directions. It's amazing how that place is laid out. Certain trails are obviously climbs, but none of them are "nail in the coffin" type climbs. Just go out and have fun.

I'm on fire.
    Props to the Raystown Lake trail builders! I made it out there last Wednesday for the first time.

My attempt to ride every trail in the park fell a tiny bit short, but after 5 hrs of riding I had seen enough and my legs were revolting. Only missed a couple miles - doe, fawn, sleekdog, and dirtsurfer. Lots of dips and lips with ample opportunity for air, a few big sweet berms, and though no single climb is that big, the combined ups and downs take a significant toll.

Allegheny was fun and had some of the biggest rollers to fly. Dark Hollow had the best berm. Red Legs and Rays Revenge were sweet. I liked Stoney trail a lot too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best directions for Raystown loops??-chumba.jpg  

Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    Although I have ridin both east & west sides the western trails are my favorite trails now and hardly anybody uses them (shuush) in my time there riding the west trails. There were alot of people in the parking lot but everyone was riding the "east" buck/doe side.
    I recently was there and we rented a lodge along the western trails, and so that was the first time we had done the western trails in the 4 times I've been there, and I must say, I do not know why there is so little talk about them. I felt like they were our own little secret, ha ha