Lev
    You Guys Riding?

Best Area to Live in Philly

Yep, already tried searching and didn't find too much.

To those here that I already know, I'm getting ready to move back to the Illadelph for round 2! Grad school is calling and it should be a good thing. I'm looking forward to making my return and I'm currently contemplating where exactly to live

Last time living in the city, I was located in the Art Museum hood. Definitely an awesome spot to be: close to everything, fairly available parking, relatively safe hood, somewhat affordable, chill bars, etc. This time around I'm thinking of moving somewhere a little more mtn bike friendly.

Two options in my mind are of course Manayunk and East Falls. I'm curious what people here might recommend. I'll be coming into the city every day for school, but I figure the best way to maximize my free time is to not have to drive to the trails; it would be great to just hop on the bike and head out the door. I know the Art Museum area would allow this, but it's still a 15-20 min ride each way to get to the Wiss (possible exaggeration).

Where else do people here live? Why do you like it? If you were gonna move somewhere else near the city, where would it be?

Holler!

Lev

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    you also may want to check out the roxborough area. i lived on ridge avenue and rode to wiss almost daily. you will have the public transportation with the bus (#9 to cc) and also the ivy ridge stop on the train is close by.

i liked it cuz i could easily get into the park at wigard avenue right at demo 1. lots of loop options too. and it was just as easy to ride to the plateau as well.

also check out www.phillymtb.com
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

mtbr member
    Welcome back to the hood. I live in South Philly now, graduate hospital area and it is awesome. Relatively inexpensive, near everything, relatively safe, and the culture and food are way better then the yunk. You will be further from the trails but closer to school. I love living in the city though and so I am biased. I am sure wherever you decided will be great. There are tradeoffs to Philly vs. Manyunk (I dont consider Manyunk to be Philly) but pretty much its win win cause you are back in the area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i'd say east falls cause then your eqi-distant to both wiss and belmont.

roxborough is nice if you want to get a little more "suburban." thats where i live, i got my own house, it is really nice; but i wouldn't consider it city living....

i ride to CC everyday, it is no biggie and the 20+ daily miles commuting get me in pretty good shape when it comes time to ride trails! on the days i am too tired or the weather is horrible there are a couple busses to choose from.

germantown around textile might be a good spot to look for an apt. with pretty cheap rent???

as you know, anywhere in the area is pretty good for biking. i'd guess what your willing to pay for rent will make the biggest decision on your spot.

Dinner for wolves

West Philly

I love my neighborhood, but getting to the Wiss is admittedly complicated. I must say, though, having the Dock Street brewery 3 blocks away makes up for quite a lot. But seriously, the closer you live to the Wiss, the more you will ride.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    i'd say east falls cause then your eqi-distant to both wiss and belmont.

roxborough is nice if you want to get a little more "suburban." thats where i live, i got my own house, it is really nice; but i wouldn't consider it city living....

i ride to CC everyday, it is no biggie and the 20+ daily miles commuting get me in pretty good shape when it comes time to ride trails! on the days i am too tired or the weather is horrible there are a couple busses to choose from.

germantown around textile might be a good spot to look for an apt. with pretty cheap rent???

as you know, anywhere in the area is pretty good for biking. i'd guess what your willing to pay for rent will make the biggest decision on your spot.

All definitely good advice here. I never really considered Roxborough too much. Seems kind of far from everything. Any comments on night life in the area? Are you pretty much predestined for CC and Main St?

I'm surprised no one here has recommended Manayunk yet. I never really ventured into that area much when I lived in Philly, but when I was there it definitely seemed cool. There's definitely the meat head, college kid component (from what I've been told), but it also seems cool if you're into road biking (tons of shops and bikers) or more of a low key scene than CC.

East Falls is appealing mostly due to location. I have heard there's not a whole lot going on there though and the safety of the area is questionable. I really don't know though from personal experience.

I'm looking forward to hitting the trails again with ya'll!

Max, you get the Heckler out lately, or are you still stuck on the 29er?

Peac e

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sold the heckler (one near concussion and one probable concussion in 2 rides convinced me freeride ain't my thing anymore)...

now it is 29" wheels and one gear all day everyday baby.

if your into nightlife i'd look elsewhere (then where i suggested). eastfalls has a bar or two. roxborough has about zero bars i would consider hanging out in...

i don't "go out" anymore so i really can't help you there. that is probably also the reason i would stay the hell out of manayunk.

i like to go to bed early on the weekend so i can get up and ride in the morning. i don't think manayunk would be conducive to that... but if you want to get your drionk on and meet some ladies i am sure manayunk is the place to be in this part of the city. there also seems to be a smaller lower key scene like that over in germantown (over by north by northwest?), but like i said i am so far out of the social scene i am really of no help there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    1 min 52 seconds from wiss. chestnut hill.

not for bar scene. quiet town...

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    OK, time to resurrect this thread. I am officially back in Philly next Monday night and will be frantically searching for places to live.

I'm looking for a 2 BR house/townhome to rent. Top priorities: 1) Access to CC. I'll be going to school at Jefferson and I need to be down there quite a bit. I'd prefer to ride my bike to school on all the decent weather days, and have some form of public transport for all the other days. 2) Access to the Wiss. With school looming, I need to keep my head sane with some solid riding and access to nature. 3) Some form of backyard. I got a pooch and I need somewhere he can run to blow off some steam. Doesn't need to be anything fancy.

So far, I've been looking a bunch in Manayunk. Max, you mentioned that you ride from Roxborough everyday. That seems pretty manageable. Other ideas include East Falls, Mt Airy, Chestnut Hills, Art Museum.

Philly peeps, let me know if you have any suggestions, or if you know of any available properties. Thanks all and I look forward to rejoining you all in the Illadelph!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I highly recommend the site http://www.housingmaps.com as a great place to map search all the craigslist ads. You can see what is available visually near and around the park.

I'm 2:30 from the Wiss trails and 4min from Valley Green. Unfortunately I just had tenants move into the main house last week; I was looking for months!

I just remembered I have a buddy who is has a duplex apartment available right now on green lane, it's 2 bedroom for about $1000 or so (not dead sure), but this would be the ideal location to be minutes away from both the Wiss and just up the hill from the whole Manayunk night life. I'll check on it today; drop me a line if you're interested and I'll send you his details.

Dinner for wolves
    The Art Museum/Brewerytown or Powelton Village neighborhoods seem like decent compromises. If your priority is access to CC and Jeff, I would stray no further West. A nice 5 mile ride to the trail head is perfect for warm-up and cool down. Besides, the restaurants, bars, and cultural accoutrements in CC utterly destroy those in Manayunk.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Nice call on the www.housingmaps.com site. It seems like it doesn't actually post all the listings on Craigslist though, but maybe I just need to mess with the filters.

gallery, let me know on that place. i'll PM you here shortly.

mtbr member
    I live in Center City, near Rittenhouse. I love being close to work at UPenn, and while riding to Wissahickon can be a bit of a drag, it really isn't that bad. Belmont is closer of course, and is a good option if you are strapped for time.

I guess it depends on how much you would like to ride. If you want to ride every day, I'd be trying to live as close to the park as possible. If you will only be riding a few times a week, and you can deal with 30-40 mins to and from the park (in addition to actual trail time), Center City is cool. Living in the Art Museum will cut a few minutes off that trip.

UPenn has an off-campus living website which has listings which often don't appear anywhere else. Jefferson may have something similar.

Welcome "home"!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Besides, the restaurants, bars, and cultural accoutrements in CC utterly destroy those in Manayunk.
    Second that!

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Ya... unfortunately I'm going to be a broke a$$ med student who probably won't be able to afford too many of those "accoutrements" anyways. I figure riding doesn't cost me anything, and it's probably a little better than waking up with a hangover.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    seems to me it really depends on how long you want your commute to be.

i ride at least 12 miles to get to work everyday in center city. really good training miles and if i want i can catch a bus (granted thast bus takes an hour during rush hour).

i think it is great because i am "old" and don't want to live in the city. my neighborhood is nothing like the city.

BUT my backyard is wissahickon and i can be in the park in 30 seconds from my door; i also have a single house with a yard and a garage.

if you don't wanna live way out but still be really close to mountainbiking maybe look for a place near belmont?

another option might be to go north up near pennypack! that park has some really nice trails these days.

it is a great city for the mtb! so many good areas you can't go wrong....

I'd Rather be Doping
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill

it is a great city for the mtb!
    Or for the off road motorcycle, if you're in West Philly. Anyone else seen those huge groups of lawless maniacs roaring into traffic on 4 wheelers? I was in town helping a friend more, and I couldn't believe it.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipp0
    Or for the off road motorcycle, if you're in West Philly. Anyone else seen those huge groups of lawless maniacs roaring into traffic on 4 wheelers? I was in town helping a friend more, and I couldn't believe it.
    lol. nothing new about that. those guys on quads have been riding to Belmont for at least 10 yrs. Used to see them every thursday night. It's surprising that they get away with it, and more surprising still that they've never taken out a group of (MTB) racers on the trail!

[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Max, thanks dude for the advice.

BTW, I'm here! Finally

The house hunt is totally on! I will be sure to give you all the update on which area of Philly is the absolute best to live in. Period. Hands Down.

More to follow soon...