mtbr member

Good job! Besides Hubbard, Merli, Prompton...

The Lackawanna SP, and Francis Slocum SP, we at Hubbard and NEPMTBA are THRILLED to announce that we might have another place to ride very soon!!! Here's the groundbreaking (Hehe) story:

A woman (Jenny Case) from TNC (The Nature Conservancy) was looking for someone to talk to about a BIG piece of property they have. Jenny tried IMBA, but didn't get any response from them. When she went to a LBS and asked if they knew of anyone in the area, Jay DeJesus refered Jen to Hubbard Bike Club. Jen emailed us about a piece of property that she wanted to talk to us about, but she wasn't sure if the [SIZE="5"]1,500 acres!!![/SIZE] was big enough for a new mtb playground! After a couple emails between the 5 of us, Jen showed up last night with her daughter Hanna, Jeff, and Ellen Lott. Ellen is also part of TNC.

We set up a 5:00 meeting just before the ride to discuss what the intent was, when, how and other ideas pertaining to the land. Jen and Ellen brought along some topo's showing the land they have and what possibilities are available. We had Chris, who deals with land inspection, there to help us with descriptions and details. Chris recommends that the areas that should be protected should be marked off before we build the trails. Jen and Ellen also pointed out that the land abutts with SGL 300. The game commission has been working with TNC to keep quads off of this piece of property, but Jen said they might be looking into letting them pass through the powerlines in the future cause it's hard to stop them altogether... Jen is also looking into seeing if it's OK for the bikes to use this piece of land too (SGL 300).

As 6:00 came around, we headed out for our ride at Hubbard. Jen, Ellen, Jeff, and Hanna all complimented about the trails and how they were still in tact after 50-60 riders were on them and it just rained for an hour. They were a core group of riders too. Jeff is an adventure racer, so Hubbard was a fun ride for him! The 3 women were riding with us and had a great time too. When we got back to the barn, we invited them in... Of course we heard the "typical response", "Well, OK. But we can't stay too long.". Hehe What time did they leave at Lee? 10:30??? Jen and the others said they'd definately be back in the future! +4!

It's all in the works of a new relationship between riders and other outdoor enthusiast and a new user group that can be on our side in the future if all goes well... And I think it will! Mtn bikers are kinda the ones that are hung out to dry cause we're the newest of the 4 main groups- Hikers, Equestrians, and Hunters are the other 3. If we show how we're dedicated to building sustainable singletrack, I think in the next 5 years we might have another 20+ mile area to ride!

ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 08-13-2007 at 06:50 AM.

mtbr member

Great News and great going!

Thx for sharing this development. Hope to hear about a work day soon! Thx.
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Uphill hater

Doin' it right

Larry, you and Lee and the rest of the gang up that way are hittin' homers out of the f'n park! That's good news amongst so much "can't ride here anymore" stories. Glad to hear things are good up that way. Have absolutely got to lay out of work looks like I'll be sick soon and head that way. Good deal and good luck!
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Rob:

One of the best posts I've ever seen on MTBR! There is just something about the group we have assembled, and it attracts more nice people every day. It seems Mt. Biking has finally found a home...Johnny G gets all the credit for that! As I thought about 1500 acres that is bigger than Frances Slocum and Lackawanna togehter isn't it with a little Merli Mixed in.

gunner1, Jeff you'll have to join us

mtbr member
    Well I'm not too sure about the size of those parks, though I was wondering. Merli has 843 acres and 17 miles of trails... This can be HUGE!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Rob:

Frances Slocum is 1035 Acres With 5.5 miles of trails! 165 acres is Lake!

Lackawanna State Park is 1411 Acres with 21 miles of trails! 198 acres is Lake!

mtbr member
    A little update...

Well, me and Rich G showed up on Saturday morning and met with Molly from TNC (The Nature Conservancy)) and some other faces that are helping clean up the Conservancy area. All together there was 12 people there at some different times. We removed 9 pick-up truck loads of tires and still have about another 150 tires left. They figured somewhere between 250-300 were already removed and put into a dumpster to be recycled. The next project was to remove a fenced in pond that was made for run-off water. On a side note: This area was bought by TNC after they started to develop it for a prison. TNC bought it because of its unique micro-climate to our area. It's considered barren land, 1 of 3 in our area. Pat, Jenny's husband, was explaining to us how the area works and what their plans are. They are going to do a 10 year burn too. This means they'll control burn areas at different times of the year and spread it out through a 10 year period of time. They want to start sometime this year and do 2 seperate ten acre areas. They're also curious what the locals will have to say. They were also talking about getting WNEP-TV to do a segment on Pennsylvania Outdoor Life or the other show that Bob Ide does to get some publicity... Hopefully the bike clubs can be there to represent also! ttyl, Fahn