Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

bent my deraileur hanger on the steel bike

today i was out with my son on a leisurely ride and i look down to see my rear deraileur in pieces and my deraileur bent toward the wheel.

any odeas on how i can resolve this? a guy at belmont recommended a shop in olney section of philly that would fit a new derailleur and drop-out, and another guy offer the use of his straightening tool.

help!

mtbr member
    Damn Keith, that sucks

So what happened? You've bent the derialleur hanger? From what I can tell, it's not a replacable hanger on the 456, so that's a nuisance.

I'm sure your LBS will be able to help out with straightening things back into shape, I can't imagine you will need a new dropout. Maybe shoot Brant @ on-one an email to see what he thinks.

Good luck!

mtbr member

good call

i emailed Brant. guess i have to pull the stumpy out!

Hoopy Frood
    A competent LBS should be able to bend it back and verify that it's straight with an alignment tool. Steel can be bent back without creating weakness so it shouldn't be a big deal.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member

Here is the damage

i wanna cry! but i cant
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I did that several times on my old Kona Explosif. The LBS was able to bend it back... but after a few times it became weak, so I had to find someone to weld a new drop-out on. I swore I'd never buy another bike without a replaceable drop-out after that, just makes sense.

Trail eater

damn

hey bigkieth,
    dude did you come off a 6ft drop off sideways that looks really bent. I feel for you buddy, being a new bike and all. By the sounds of it a good LBS should be able to straighten it for you
    curious how did you do it?

cheers

electric
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    i'm curious abot that too, so for now i'm blaming torque.

Freshly Fujified

Heartbroken....

Quote Originally Posted by bigkeith
    i wanna cry! but i cant
    I'm crying for ya, bro. That just breaks my heart. I hope you can find someone local to make it right for you.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    In my case it was always a stick jamming into the spokes between the chain and chainstay, the wheel rotates the stick around to the derailleur and rips it right off bending the drop-out in the process.

mtbr member
    now that you mentioned it that may have been the case with me because i was riding in belmont and it can get messy there

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    damn keith that is one hell of a bend. if it breaks off in the future that's just the man above telling you to start single speeding.

mtbr member
    bah... never! i'll buy a new frame first.

i was thinking about it for a minute but Brant from On One had a look at the pick and said "it should bent back no problem.

if i do go SS, will i be E lite mountain bike dude?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

A suggestion

I bent my titanium hanger last year and was able to bend it back. However I did purchase a break away derailleur bolt from www.biketoolsetc.com. They are hard to find since replaceable hangers have become so prevailant and are a little tricky to install but I think will be worth it. I have even thought about installing on my bikes with replaceable hangers as I have only ever had one work. The rest of the time the derailleur has always been trashed. some food for thought.

mtbr member
    that looks interesting. can you explain the install?

mtbr member
    I think there's a bumper sticker that sums it up....SH*T HAPPENS

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Installing break away derailleur bolt.

Installing the break away derailleur bolt involves removing a C clip on the back of the derailleur. Once that is done slowly remove the bolt, as there is a spring in there under tension. Remember which direction it wants to unravel because when you reinstall the break away bolt you'll have to reapply some tension to the spring( if you twist it the wrong way you risk damaging the spring). This is where a second person may help. One person can do it but it is tough to get the tension, hold the bolt in place and reapply the C clip that hold the mechanism together. Hope that helps if not I'll take apart a damaged derailleur and take pics for you.

mtbr member
    thanks that helps alot.

They turned me loose
    dude, that's nuts. I did the same thing to my 456 3 weeks ago. We managed to bend it right back into place though.

We used an old handlebar and it worked great.

Brant was suprised that had bent it.......it was just a stick.

mtbr member
    When bending it back, be careful not to bend the bolt hole out of shape. We put a der bolt in place and use an adj wrench to bend it forward. The deraileur alignment tool does the rest.

mtbr member
    its in the shop now so we will see.

mtbr member

pick up the bike tonight

i guess will see how long the repair holds before i replace the frame or have the dropout rebuilt

mtbr member
    Hope it works out Keith - how have you found the bike otherwise?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    bummer... I bought a brand new Rocky Mtn Flow off of SMC in Emmaus right before the Rattling Creek Bash ( kick ass bash near harrisburg, a must go!!! ) anyways, and the first day I had it at the bash I busted my derailleur off almost completely and busted it in three places doing trials on a picnic table... It was the day I went SS and have no regrets... Been lovin it ever since!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Hope it works out Keith - how have you found the bike otherwise?
    that bike is slick. tracks very well into turns and out and just inspires confidence, I think I've jumped off everything in the wiss. ass soon as the aluminum version come out i will start making arangements to buy it. that is if its not too much then i will just go with the Leader D&S 516.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast