mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Belmont Trails & General Trail Cleanup

Was wondering if anybody know's who maintains the Belmont trails and what the protocol of trail cleanup on non official trail cleanup days.

I live right next to the belmont trails, and sometimes there is a downed tree or two. So how much trail work are people allowed to do on non official cleanup days?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gt4130 View Post
    Was wondering if anybody know's who maintains the Belmont trails and what the protocol of trail cleanup on non official trail cleanup days.

I live right next to the belmont trails, and sometimes there is a downed tree or two. So how much trail work are people allowed to do on non official cleanup days?
    here is there facebook page:

Belmont Plateau Trails Alliance | Facebook

i am sure contacts are in there somewhere but i can't look since i don't facebook.

definitely get in touch if you can help out as there is a definite method to the madness back there

El Turko
    Aug 2011
    I would also like to help out also seeing as i'm 2 miles away from the park. The info for Belmont is really scattered though, Is the facebook link the only page people use? I'm not on facebook much, if at all. Also, does anyone think that a trail map would be a good idea?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    personally i do NOT think a trail map is a good idea.

belmont is a place you have to want to ride and explore enough to find the trails on your own or make an effort to get others to show them to you. it does not need signage/maps and the bells and whistles places like the wiss have.

to me, belmont has always been the wiss's wilder cousin and putting out things like trail maps would take away from that feeling for sure. i never had more fun mountainbiking than the summer i spent teaching myself every trail in the belmont. then once i thought i knew everything i'd bump into someone who would show me more trail or a better way to link the trails up... during that summer i also met lots of the locals and now know all the people who keep belmont as awesome as it is.

keep belmont hard

if you really want to learn belmont it isn't difficult, it just takes some time and effort. this keeps those not willing to put forth such an effort away and i think keeps the belmont as belmonty as it is...

if belmont got anywhere near as much traffic as the wiss it would be destroyed in no time.

PS - i was just looking through my old emails and have a contact email for the Belmont Trails Alliance for anyone who wants one. i won't post it here but PM me and i'll send it to you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    well put Max...
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    +1... check out the FB group Max posted. It's funny to think there are 'rules' to follow for who can do trail stewardship, but hey.

Regardless, the trail cleanup days at Belmont are almost as much fun as riding there. haha.

Fun place to get lost for sure.

(also, if you are interested, Friends of Wissahickon do trail days for Wiss)