mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Belmont problems

A buddy of mine went up Belmont and said out of 8 riders there were 6 flats. Sounds like some jackholes are throwing some **** out on the trails. I don't know anything other then that keep an eye out.

---
    Jan 2007
    I was there 2 weekends ago with 6 others and we had like 8 flats in 12 miles. Max-a-mill had 4 himself (maybe 5?). Combination of glass and thorns. Thankfull I managed to make it out ok. We did another 50 miles that day and only had 2 more between all of us.
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i hear ya. a couple of weeks ago i had 4 flats there myself.

urban legend is that there is a guy that walks his dog (ironic enough) and breaks glass on the trail...no clue if that is even close to true, but that's what i heard.

J
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    How do they do the Thursday races with all that flatting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    honestly i think this just happens in the springtime when the thorns come out....

there was a guy that does throw glass (i know i have seen him) last year but i have no evidence that the ridiculous amount of flats i've had there in the this year are from glass.

no problems with flats that i saw last thursday night.

my advice would be maybe run tubes with goo in them for the spring? i dunno this spring it has seemed RIDICULOUS (two rides this season with more than 3 on my ride).

i haven't resorted to it yet but i might just spring for a set of stans tubless wheels sooner or later cause that pissed me off so bad earlier this year... if i have one more 2+ flat ride over there i am going to have to give it some more serious consideration.

Trail eater

that suxs

out of interest, for those of you that flatted, what was the cause? I mean that did you have a small pinprick type hole or a small cut say like from glass or something.

It would be pretty helpful to know since I have been riding there and I havent come across this problem (yet!). It would be nice to know if there is proof that its deliberate otherwise I will stay away for the time being.
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    out of interest, for those of you that flatted, what was the cause? I mean that did you have a small pinprick type hole or a small cut say like from glass or something.
    I was about to ask the same question myself. like EM said you can generally tell the difference between a nail/thorn puncture and a glass puncture.

FWIW I was out there on Tuesday and had no problems. I did see the occasional piece of glass as is the norm, and definitely some thorns over a couple portions of the trail. I almost always stop to remove glass from the trail when I see it, I'm sure everyone does (or I hope!)...
    pete

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    for me they were all pin pricks and i never found anything in the tire EVER....

it was wierd and by flat 3 the one day (in which i patched 4 seperate holes????) i was cursing and thinking i was going to have to get some tubeless tires.

but since then i have ridden there twice zero flats...

i remember when we had the fat tire photo op there was a rash of flat problems over there as well.

it really remains a mystery to me. i mean i know three is a TON of glass over there but i can go from riding the same trails with no flats all winter to two seperate multiple flat rides this spring.

for me, for now, since it coincided with the spring, i am saying thorns? maybe?

i'd love to hear other opinions.