Someone stole my Pacific!
    Aug 2007

Beginner's Ride around the Scranton area

Hey, all! Quick question here...

I'm looking to take a few friends biking Monday afternoon, (Labor Day). Most of them will be beginners with entry level Giant or Trek front suspension bikes. I'd like to find an easy, not-very-technical beginner trail of about 5-7 miles. I was thinking Lackawanna State Park. Are there any trails up there I should avoid because they would be too technical/steep? I've never ridden there, and I'm fairly new to the sport myself. Most of the group will be girls.

I've ridden Francis Slocum and Hubbard before, and I think those two might be a little too difficult for the group. Maybe Francis Slocum after NEPMTBA did the log-over work recently...I haven't ridden there since then. Do all the log overs have an "easy" path through now?

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated!

Frank

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    It might be a little bit of a drive for you, but the Broad Mt Loop just north of Jim Thorpe may be just what you are looking for. It has some climbs and some rocks and is all double track. Overall it is a relativley easy trail. The Lehigh Gorge (starts in White Haven or Jim Thorpe) trail is another one that may work for you. It is flat and very smooth with a slight ascending or descending grade depending on where you start.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

nozoxon:

We have a few log overs left at Frances Slocum we won't touch but, you can always dismount till you learn to get over them. Lackawanna will have log overs also as will Merli and Prompton which both are too tough for you riding skill as you described it.

Out of the three Prompton, Merli & 'Lackawanna' might be your best bet!

Someone stole my Pacific!
    Aug 2007

Thanks!

We ended up riding Francis Slocum on Monday...it was good overall, a little too tough for one, who was riding a hybrid style of bike. Jim Thorpe sounds like a great idea...we've already started planning a trip for Monday, two weeks from now. We're going to do it "downhill" first, and then try "uphill" the next time.

Thanks for all the help, and after the Jim Thorpe runs, maybe we'll try Lackawanna!

See ya out on the trails!

Frank