mtbr member

Beginner Trails Near Erie

Hi, I'm headed out to Erie this weekend to visit a friend. She has said that she want's to give mountain biking a try. Does anyone know of a good spot to take her? I think she would be up for some relativly low grade non technical single track. Does that exist around those parts? I was thinking about the Fred J. Cusimano Westside Overland Trail, what are your thoughts.
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Try the trails at Penn State Behrend. Take 38th st east. Access to the trail at the bottom of Cooper Rd. Mostly a wide walking path, but there are plenty of technically offshoots to keep you interested. Ride it as an out and back. Don't fall off the cliff at the overlook and watch for people hiking. When you come down stay left at the parking lot right before the big hill and you can drop the hill on a technical trail. FYI: they don't clear the trees on that section to discourage access but don't let that stop you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Asbury Woods

Asbury Woods is another good place to ride. It has a lot of variety from beginner to advanced. It can be a bit rooty and rocky though. It off of Asbury Road about 2 miles south of Erie International Airport. The entrance to the riding/hiking trails is on the west side of the road. Look for tennis courts and park in the lot behind them.

The Overland Trail is a good option as well. Foliage should be beautiful. You can park a car at either end and ride the while thing if you have the time (4-6 hours), but either end will be pretty sweet this time of year. It is a little bit of a drive from Erie though, about 45 minutes depending on where in town you are departing from.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recomendations. We checked out both Behrend, and Asbury woods. Really great terrain for a beginner. Not many roots or rocks! We even stumbled on some FR stuff in Asbury, it kept it interesting for me. Thanks again!