mtbr member
    Jun 2008

bear spotting at Roaring Run

Was riding the loop at roaring run when all of a sudden black blur ran right out in front of me , First i was thinking that was the biggest dog i have ever seen. Then the Bear stopped about ten yards past the trail and stood there and looked at me like i was nothing to him.I stared in amazement for about a half hour just thinking what i would do if this thing chased me and also wishing i had my phone or a camerca. This was the first time i have ever seen a bear in the woods and made me enjoy mountain biking a little more. Now i know why the one trail is called the Cave Beer.Also pretty excited for the Tour de Strongland anyone else on here enterted in the race.

mtbr member
    in all my years of fishing, biking, and hiking in the SW PA woods i have yet to see a bear. i know there are a good many bears up in the laurel mountain area but i wouldnt have thought there would be bears at apollo. i'll have to keep my eyes open the next time i ride there.

Nice no rass
    We have bears everywhere here. I'm in the New Stanton area and have run across them in my back yard (granted I have 22 acres). My in-laws had a mother and cubs in Yukon a few years ago, so we have en entire family running around. Considering bears are known to cover something like an 80 mile radius, they could be anywhere.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

I jumped one at RR late spring!

Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    in all my years of fishing, biking, and hiking in the SW PA woods i have yet to see a bear. i know there are a good many bears up in the laurel mountain area but i wouldnt have thought there would be bears at apollo. i'll have to keep my eyes open the next time i ride there.
    I was clearing knotweed at Roaring Run late spring and up near the cistern, with my dog Hairy, who had been ranging ahead of me and then coming back to "check on me" suddenly he decided he did not want to go forward anymore and sat in front of me on the trail. Of course I say "move Hairy" and he just sits there "move you dumb dog", nothing. So I step around him, went about 10 feet and suddenly a black mass stands up, looks in my direction and hauls ace down the hill! Maybe Hairy isn't so dumb after all! Scared the crap out of me and that ended my knotweed clearing for the day!

Nice no rass
    Kind of how I first ran into our bear. I was spraying for poison ivy behind my pond. I was walking up a trail into the woods spraying. Of course I'm not making any noise so the bear doesn't hear me coming. Next thing, I hear a growl behind me as the bear stands up out of the weeds. I back up one way, the bear luckily backed up the other. This bear was HUGE from 10 feet away. I had to go in and wash my pants. I make noise before entering the woods now.