Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Uphill hater

Bear Creek Resort trail pictures

Posted a very heavy picture blog of the completed "new" loop at Bear Creek.

halffastmtb.blogspot.com
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

smartass
    I've been wanting to see pictures of Bear Creek, thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner1
    Posted a very heavy picture blog of the completed "new" loop at Bear Creek.

halffastmtb.blogspot.com
    Those pics make it look pretty sweet up there. I have to be up that way in couple weeks and am looking to ride. I am an XC rider, who isn't afraid (read to dumb to know better) of some downhill type stuff, even though I am suspensionally challenged.

My question is: what type of riding to expect? The www.skibearcreek.com says it only has 6.5 miles of trails that are XC style (not updated?), but the photos look like there is some downhill stuff. I would like to get a good 2hour burn in. Is it long enough for XC or is it only worth it to go if you are into DH riding?

Any info would be appreciated.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

Uphill hater
    Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and there are some better riders than me that will chime in. Bear Creek right now has about a 6 mile loop if you only ride the blue trail, but there is a yellow loop at the top that may add about another mile or so. (I don't ride with a bike computer, so I don't really know). It's a good hard 6 or so miles, that's for sure. Mostly XC stuff, but I'm a freak and ride it both ways. They hosted a DH race there last year so it's a little of both. When you climb the blue loop clockwise from the kiosk, you're basically climbing a DH run.
    When I ride the loop, it takes me about an hour and a half, but like I said in my blog, I push a good bit. I know guys who ride it in under an hour. you can always do 2 loops or finish 1 loop and turn around and ride it the other way. that'll get your burn for sure!

As for bikes and being suspensionally challenged, I ride it XC on a Iron Horse hardtail no problems, even coming down the big rock garden on the top of the mountain.

I push my DH bike to the top and blast down either side for a good DH run.

PM me you email and I'll send you more pictures if you'd like or get a ride together.

My blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hey Gunner, would you be my tour guide around the mountain!!!!

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and there are some better riders than me that will chime in. Bear Creek right now has about a 6 mile loop if you only ride the blue trail, but there is a yellow loop at the top that may add about another mile or so. (I don't ride with a bike computer, so I don't really know). It's a good hard 6 or so miles, that's for sure. Mostly XC stuff, but I'm a freak and ride it both ways. They hosted a DH race there last year so it's a little of both. When you climb the blue loop clockwise from the kiosk, you're basically climbing a DH run.
    When I ride the loop, it takes me about an hour and a half, but like I said in my blog, I push a good bit. I know guys who ride it in under an hour. you can always do 2 loops or finish 1 loop and turn around and ride it the other way. that'll get your burn for sure!

As for bikes and being suspensionally challenged, I ride it XC on a Iron Horse hardtail no problems, even coming down the big rock garden on the top of the mountain.

I push my DH bike to the top and blast down either side for a good DH run.

PM me you email and I'll send you more pictures if you'd like or get a ride together.

ganginwood
    does anyone have a garmin file uploaded to motionbased for the race course?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

LevenBravo
    Gunner, that blog about Diablo is great! Good pics of Bear Creek also. I was just there yesterday for the 4th time. Its a great technical trail. I also play around on the yellow/orange/red etc while I'm up there and if I have time do it the other way, which I like better actually. Going counter clockwise from the kiosk that first section is so much fun blasting down before the realization of whats to climb sets in. You should take a couple more pics and show how rocky it is, I took my brother since he was home from Carmel, CA for a week. He was on a Giant Reign and HATED it both ways hahaha! He said there was no flow, bah! I think its a great ride and since I live 10 minutes away I can get a quickie in after work. It has potential for much more as well, I have high hopes. Zillah

Uphill hater
    Zillah, which way away do you live? I'm in between Macungie and Alburtis right down Mountain Road. Next time I have the camera, I'll get some good pictures of the rocks.
    Chuck T and his crew are really putting a max effort in and the only thing i could hope for is that they'd turn on the lifts for even just one day!

My blog

Uphill hater

A few more pics

bc rocks2.jpg
    Turn your head to the left. Rock garden.

bc rocks 3.jpg
    Another little bridge on the yellow trail. Yes, the rocks ARE the trail

bc rocks 4.jpg
    You will go up and to the right around the boulder and then start very techincal switchbacks.

of=50,590,442.jpg
    Not how you really want to see your bike when you get back up, but I'm used to it. *sigh*

bc pond1.jpg
    Blue trail coming out to the pond, trail makes hard left at flags and climbs.

Hope these add something to the visual.

My blog

mtbr member
    Gunner1- Thanks for the good info and ride offer. I am going to be in the area for business and not sure of the time I am done, so I can't really commit to exactly what time I am riding. Looking forward to riding this place.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi- the trails are about 6 miles in length right now, with some 'optional' routes along the way. Most trails are XC/Trail oriented- its only DH if you are willing to go uphill under your own power first . In general, a fit rider will do the entire loop in about 45-60 minutes with elite racers doing it in the 35 minute range. IMO, the trail is completely different in each direction, so doing a loop in each is a fun thing. As far as a GPS route of the actual race course, yes I have one (helped dig some of the new areas and was treated to an 'off limits' ride) but I havent uploaded it to motionbased yet. In general, the race course is clockwise (facing the mountain) with the singletrack portion starting at the kiosk, following blue to the top, then yellow, back to blue, the red bypass, then finish on blue. PM me to see if we can hook up for a race course tour, but I will be at the RCST bash this weekend.

Uphill hater
    "In general, a fit rider will do the entire loop in about 45-60 minutes with elite racers doing it in the 35 minute range."

So Dan, you poking me about my hour and a half ride times?

My blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "In general, a fit rider will do the entire loop in about 45-60 minutes with elite racers doing it in the 35 minute range."

So Dan, you poking me about my hour and a half ride times?
    Nope, just trying to offer some general idea of how long a loop it is interms of time, not mileage- 6 miles sounds short, but the terrain makes up forthe lack of mileage

LevenBravo
    Gunner - I live close to where 29/100 meet, by st peters road. It looked like theres been some major trail maintenance since the last time I was there, the rock gardens are nice but I enjoy the non-constructed rock strewn areas on the right side facing the Mtn, fun climbing and fun bombing down, so far. I don't know the crew who does the digging, but they are dedicated it seems, and do a great job. Bear Creek seems to be a bit on the sandy side compared to other places around and it looks like they have to deal with erosion a little more than the trails at south mtn, jordan and others. It was a so dry you left a dust cloud behind, makes you feel fast on the way down. I had just put easton flatboys on my bike and they tore me up, gotta love it.

Hour and a half?!...sounds about right I usually take a break on top...Sometimes I like to push myself but usually I just like having fun...try sections a couple times...catching snakes and toads...and poison ivy...good times. Zillah

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Who is building these trails, you say? Its actually the Bear Creek folks themselves at this point. BC has been making a push to be a 4-season resort, and one of the managers is a MTB'er himself, so has a real interest in making the place bike-friendly. In case anyone is interested, the MASS season finale is the 22-23 of September with STXC Saturday, and XC Sunday. Then, the following Tuesday is the Bear Creek STXC racing series, and that one will have its season finale during the BC Fall Fast on October 27. There is even a rumor about doing some CX racing there next year. Just be sure to sign the waiver at the kiosk before you ride- it keeps it open and free for all of us

Uphill hater
    Zillah, PM me your email if you want and we'll hook up to do a ride there. My son goes with me and another friend of mine and we're way into the just having fun riding. Slow, but fun Oh, and there IS a DH possibility there.....

My blog

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewS
    Hey Gunner, would you be my tour guide around the mountain!!!!
    He will teach you many things up on that mountain....

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

See, dude?

Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt
    I've been wanting to see pictures of Bear Creek, thanks!
    Been tellinya' we should check it out!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This looks great! I can't wait to ride there. Anyone interested in riding with me? I don't know when I'll go, but I only live about 1 hr away, so it's doable for me during the evenings (before it gets dark) and anytime during the weekends.

Uphill hater
    Soobie, PM me your email if you'd like and I'll give you a shout when I'm going up. Zillah wants to meet up as well so we may have a good group ride coming up!

My blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I did the MASS final race at Bear Creek. It was gnarly. Seriously, I killed myself. At race pace, it's just absurd. I think I went over the bars at least 7 times. My knee is destoryed. My arm looks as if I have gangrene. It's one thing to ride these bad boys recreationally, but don't look to race them unless you're fully suspended and a maniac. Great time nevertheless. Oh yeah, and I flatted. My race was officially over when that happened. Sickest trails I've ridden in my life.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Strumpetto, got any pics? Not of your gangreen arm though, I don't want to see that!

Anyone up for a ride this sunday sometime. 10ish or so?

Bueller... Bueller... Bueller?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll do a group ride this weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would be game for a 10:00am group ride on sunday!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That's three.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast