Thread: Bear Creek

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bear Creek

Hey all,

I haven't posted anything in sometime, so I figured I would clue folks in to the xc/am ride at bear creek ski resort.

This is a well maintained 6 to 7 mile ride. It has a few rather steep uphills, namly a killer section that is straight up the far left slope ("cascade" for those that ski and snowboard there). This is a very rocky ride, I wouldn't suggest a hardtail here. However, the rocks aren't piled up on top of each other like at french creek. In fact I don't recall any loose rocks at all. This make for good

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    (cont.)

As I was saying this makes for some good hopping around. The trail is well marked and they went even further by giving you some heads up when the real technical stuff is around the corner.

There is also a few sections for some freeriding type stuff, including, terrain park bridges, jumps etc... We didn't try the black diamond section at the top of the moutain, it looked like some crazy fast rocky downhill and the Truth isn't built for that type of terrain. I'm assuming they run the ski lift for those that want to FR/DH, to ride a 30 some odd lb FR/DH bike to the top would be extremely taxing to say the least.

Overall a challenging (I was going type "fun" here but I guess that depends on the reader) ride, exercising caution through the technical stuff.

Fran

Programmer
    Nov 2006
    I agree, this trail is kind of a ***** on a hardtail. However, there are a few amazing climbs that surely test even the most seasoned of vets. Plus it's interesting to see the mountain in it's raw Summer state... drifting to time when I'm shredding this mountain and taking no prisoners.

This trail is a must try for any Free Ride/Style patrons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

... and if we just ...

cheers mate

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    I wouldn't suggest a hardtail here.
    I dunno, I ride a hard tail at bear creek. It's a blast! The downhill is pretty technical though. Not for the beginner or low end bike.
    I couldn't imagine doing the climb on a FS.

I've watched the Mid-Atlantic Series Race race there a few times. Plenty of riders of hard tails.

It's a fun trail. But only 6.5 miles. Hopefully they'll expand it more in the future.

I'm assuming they run the ski lift for those that want to FR/DH, to ride a 30 some odd lb FR/DH bike to the top would be extremely taxing to say the least
    Nope.
    "We do not offer lift service or "downhill" trails. The ski slopes are closed to riders and hikers. Our mountain biking trails are appropriate for intermediate or better riders with their own properly functioning equipment and helmet."
    http://www.skibearcreek.com/summer/s...ainbiking.aspx

Uphill hater

BC local

I live about 3 miles from there and ride BC at least once weekly. I enjoy it and it has definately made me a better rider. I ride a hardtail Iron Horse when I like to xc it and have just recently obtained a DH rig (Haro X3) and have ridden it both clockwise and counterclock around the trail. A lot of pushing with the DH bike but the ride down is worth it. FWIW, the trail can start at the upper parking lot and down around the new construction around the bigger pond. You no longer have to cut short and pop out behind the maintenance building. Chuck Takas and his crew do an outstanding job keeping the trails maintained. Could only wish they would run the lifts, I'd pay the price for just a day of sweet DH only riding.
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

mtbr member
    I think I'll do this this weekend. I take it parking lot 4 is well marked?

Uphill hater
    Parking lots are well marked, but you'll see the sign in kiosk as you come over the hill coming into the resort area. Kiosk will be on your right. Blue loop starts across the street from the kiosk if you want to go clockwise or ride down the parking lot to the portapotty, enter the trail there and go counterclockwise. Enjoy it.

My blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner1
    Parking lots are well marked, but you'll see the sign in kiosk as you come over the hill coming into the resort area. Kiosk will be on your right. Blue loop starts across the street from the kiosk if you want to go clockwise or ride down the parking lot to the portapotty, enter the trail there and go counterclockwise. Enjoy it.
    Which way do you like going and why? Interested in meeting?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yes it's easy to find, also they ask you to sign a waiver at the trail-head before you head out.

Have fun and bring the iron lung, the climbs can get hairy!!

Uphill hater
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    Which way do you like going and why? Interested in meeting?
    If I'm on my XC bike, then I go clockwise. The climbs are somewhat easier on the left side (as you are facing the mountain) than the right but they are still tough. Going down the right side is VERY technical and rocky but fast and after you cross the creek, it flattens out considerably for a nice finish.

If I'm on the big squishy bike, I just push it up the right side and ride it right back down mostly but will go counterclockwise the whole way around, the left side is actually the run coming down they used for last years downhill race, I think.

This weekend isn't looking so good for me to ride anywhere, sadly but if you're close enough, they race the short track series there on Tuesdays (tonight) 5:30 sign ups, 6 pm go. Lots of experienced BC riders there.

My blog

Programmer
    Nov 2006
    I'd love to bomb down the blue square... it's soooo tempting when you hit the peak.

Thumbs Up!
    This is great news! I am moving into the area at the end of the summer. I plan on doing plenty of riding at Bear Creek and also at Green Lane.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson