mtbr member

Bavington/State Game Lands trail recommendations

I went over to Bavington for the first time today. I rode some of the trails off of haul rd. just before Kramer and east of the five points extension road (map I used here: http://www.friendsofraccoon.com/Hill...llman.htm#maps)

Some of the trails I rode were great but others sucked. They were so overgrown I could hardly see the trail. Others were some covered with poison ivy it just made the riding miserable b/c I was too worried about all the poison ivy.

Can anyone recommend some of the more popular routes. I know I barely scratched the surface of this place. Thanks!
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

my fun has a hurting
    i wish i could give you better info than the following but i dont lead any of the rides:

i really like the figure 8 loop that starts at the top of the fire road off the first entrance road (i don't drive so i don't remember the names). our riding group goes out to bavington all the time. we will most likely be there again in a few weeks. check out our site for the ride updates. http://dorc-pgh.com

SpeedoSkid
    I commonly ride 3 loops at Hillman.

One is the figure 8 loop, mentioned by cdburch. The map you have linked calls it The Backside. You can get to it via Knowlton Rd, off of Stuebenville Pike. The fire road to access the trail will be on your right. You can usually park off to the side of the road on the left. Ride the fireroad until it sort of T's, but take the singletrack to the right before the T. I think the loop is around 4 miles.

If you do the figure 8, you could also do the loop across the road from it, the map calls it Big Thorn. It is pretty small, but is enjoyable. There is a singletrack and a fireroad, both with the same shape. The singletrack crosses the fireroad at one point, but not directly across. Just ride up/down about 20 yards or so to pick up the singletrack.

The other doesn't have a name on your map, but the map shows the trail. It is the trail that is towards the left side of the map. You can access it from Haul Rd, off of Stuebenville Pike. Take Haul Rd. for about 1 mile. The dirt parking lot will be on your left, at the intersection. The trailhead is located at the parking lot. The trail will cross a road a couple times, and eventually you will come out on Haul Rd, east of the parking lot. Theres about 5 miles of trail up to this point. Ride back to the lot on the road or you could pick a couple of trails across the street: one will pop out on Haul further east, the other one will lead back west and come out across the road from the parking lot.

All are great xc trails. The figure 8 trail is usually less overgrown than the others. Overgrowth on any of these trails seems to be only in a few spots. It also seems they are trimmed a time or two in the summer.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Excellent, thanks for the info. Might try it out this weekend if I don't go to seven springs.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake