mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bald Eagle State Forest worth checking out?

Would like to get opinions if Bald Eagle State Forest is worth checking out for new riding opportunities. I'm after singletrack, but don't mind linking up sections with a few miles of forest road. I see Purple Lizard put out a new map for this area. I know the Wilderness 100 and TSE use it, but are the race routes all forest road, or do they mix in singletrack?

I ride a lot in Rothrock out of the Galbraith Gap and Coopers Gap trailheads. How does Bald Eagle stack up to Rothrock? Newer style bench cut trails or old school fall line hiking trails? Any must ride sections (like Tussey Mtn., or Sassafrass)?

Thanks!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The race routes mix in forest road, but have a large amount of singletrack.

I think the trail is more old school, but not fall line, better than that.

I think there's plenty of excellent trail out there, but I don't know Rothrock well enough to give an honest comparision. I've ridden a few times out of various locations in Rothrock and the two forest areas feel similar in many ways to me.

When I ride at Bald Eagle I usually start at RB Winter so that I can a) finish on a down hill, and b) go for a brief swim to clean up before changing out of riding clothes.

mtbr member
    B.E.S.F. is spread out over 5 counties so its a pretty broad question. I'm sure there are hundreds of miles of single track of all different kinds in there somewhere. RB Winter is my kinda place. In a word, challenging. More technical then Roth Rock generally. It'll torture your taint and a dip in the dam will shrink your nads.
    Help, I'm a rock!

As has already been made clear, BESF is massive. I'm really only familiar with the northern portions of the SF, in and around the areas of RB Winter SP and the areas north of I-80 (with spillover into Tiadaghton State Forest). The terrain is very rough, many trails are primitive, and you can ride all day and never see anyone. Many, but not all, of the rides I've done in BESF involve some measure of forest road riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the comments thus far. Didn't realize BESF was so big. Just see the signs for it when driving to Coopers Gap on 322. I'd be primarily interested in the section near Seven Mountains off 322 - trying to keep my drive from State College under 45 minutes.

Not up on my lingo. RB?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    RB == R.B.Winter State Park

mtbr member
    lots of great riding in the bald eagle. little mtn trail is a better ridge top trail than tussy if you can believe that. check out GRIZ GUIDE for the Bald Eagle. A bit dated but a great start. Also, check with the NMBA guys...a lot of them know it too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Had a blast up there trying to follow a local,giving me a tour until...bombing down some rocky singletrack did a superman over the handlebars. 2 steel plates,a pin,and 8 screws later in the right wrist, all fixed. Beware !

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by 73cuda View Post
    Had a blast up there trying to follow a local,giving me a tour until...bombing down some rocky singletrack did a superman over the handlebars. 2 steel plates,a pin,and 8 screws later in the right wrist, all fixed. Beware !
    Sorry to read that, heal fast eh?

Was that on Gross trail? I love running it, but it's crazy for an "XC" trail. :^)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Sorry to read that, heal fast eh?

Was that on Gross trail? I love running it, but it's crazy for an "XC" trail. :^)
    Thanks Bear for the concern,..should have mentioned that was 2yrs ago and I honestly don't remember the trail name,I do remember I was riding faster than my skills and paid the price gotta get back up there sometime