mtbr member
    May 2006

Bald Eagle State Forest Trails?

My wife and I are staying at Half Way Dam Campground in August. I know there are supposed to be alot of trails in this area but I can't find much info on them. It is listed in the trail review section but there are not any reviews or info. Is there anybody who rides these trails that can tell us a little about them.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    detailed trail maps - http://www.grizguides.com/guidebooks.php

state forest info - http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...baldeagle.aspx

miles and miles of fireroad, some doubletrack and singletrack around as well....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i forgot to mention that there are free maps at the state forest headquarters in Laurelton.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the links leev.
    We are mainly interested in singletrack; intermediate to some advanced level trails. Is there anything like that in the area or should we plan on traveling to State College or somewhere?
    We grew up in the area (I'm from Milton) and did a lot of hunting and fishing in the area, but that was back in the 80's before mountain biking became popular.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    cowbell hollow, black gap, hall/hough trails are all fun and can be connected together.
    advanced trails include stony gap and gross' gap -very rocky and technical - not my bag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I love the Bald Eagle SF! Some great trails, many of which you can discover on your own. By that I mean you can connect trails to the forest roads and make some nice loops with varying scenery and topography. Singletrack is there, study the maps, or look for well worn singletrack/trail entering or leaving the dirt roads (where vegetation is worn down and dirt looks newly exposed, a sure sign others are hitting it).

The green DCNR maps are pretty good, IMO, even though they may not have been updated in several years (MTB trails are not labeled as such in the green SF maps). But, it's easy using them once you decide on a route or trail, if you're crossing contour lines, you're either going uphill or downhill. And the uphills, esecially if rocky or technical, can be lung busters. Several possibilities starting from the camping/parking area, in several directions, not 100% singletrack, because almost all of them start out on the dirt roads and then the st starts at some turn off a mile away.

Also, as mentioned above, call or ask at the SF office in Laurleton (Rt 45), I think several of the staff members from there ride (or used to) occasionally. They're pretty helpful. Dont get this mixed up with the state park office on rt 192 near the dam. The state park office, while helpful, handles a small tract of land (relatively speaking) in the middle of a much, much bigger larger state forest.

The Mid State Trail cuts north/south across the forest, near the Dam (Raymond B. Winter State Park), nice hiking, but off limits to MTB-ing.
    Last edited by XCoalMiner; 05-01-2006 at 08:53 PM.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    Im from down in state college (well probably up) but we ride out there a couple times a year, doing the afore mentioned trails, black gap, white deer, cowbell hollow etc. its definitely a good loop but rocky. theres other stuff in bald eagle west of there but its not mapped well. If you want to make the hour trek down to state college, theres lots of good stuff in Rothrock state forest. There is a griz guide for that as well, along with the purple lizard map and some on line maps at www.mtnittanywheelworks.com. you can also hit the local club website, www.nittanymba.org and post on the forums there for more info or a possible guide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    haha, 3 posts!

hmm... i think our forums aren't enough for you? you had to come here???

oh well, see you around.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    sorry, didnt realize you could "cheat" on another forum by posting on this one, lol