mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Bald Eagle at Blue Marsh

So I am riding a short loop of 13 miles at blue marsh on sunday and as luck would have it I must stop for horses on the trail and as they pass one of the riders points out a eagle in the tree about 500 feet or so from us at the waters edge,only saw it for about 15 seconds as it took off over to the other side lake,any one else see eagles over here ?

Rat Fink
    Where were you at when you saw it?

There are several nests in both York and Lancaster Counties and a bunch right along the river. Lake Williams at Wm. Kain Park in York has at least one nest. I was on the trail about 50' above the lake on the N side which is on the side of a steep ridge. An eagle was on a tree at eye level with me about 15' from me. Apparently he was comfortable in his domain as he looked at me and proceeded to ignore me for about 10 min until he saw something of interest that was worth a swoop down to the lake.

Do not, ever, stand under a tree where a bald eagle is perching. And give yourself at least a 10' radius. Never saw so much come out of the back end of one bird.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    About a 1/2 mile east of the T intersection of justa road

Fossil
    With the leaves finally off the trees it should be easy to see a Bald Eagle's nest, assuming it is nesting in the area. That would be cool to see... I may have to go for a ride there soon. I've seen Bald Eagle nests in the Kinzua Dam area (northwest PA) and they are indeed the size of VW Beetles upside down. Something to behold... from a safe distance! And no, I didn't change my signature just for this post!
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I will look for a nest on sunday if it does not rain, if you happen to get there look around the back side of the lake like where the Justa Road intersects with the trail, next time I will take a camera

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

We saw one at Marsh Creek (Downingtown area)

We saw one back in October at Marsh Creek State Park, just north of Downingtown. Great to see them re-establishing themselves.

Fossil
    Marsh Creek is my normal ride (I live in Downingtown)... I'll have to keep one eye to the sky. I have seen them around the Schuylkill River too.

Thanks for the heads-up (pun intended??)!

Mike
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

mtbr member
    The Bald Eagle is making a nice comeback. This past summer, I saw two on the Delaware River near Burlington Bristol Bridge. A year ago I saw one flying into Core Creek Park, Bucks County and someone else saw one on the Delaware River near Yardley & Trenton, NJ. Refreshing sights!