mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Attention Mountain Bikers that Ride in Bald Eagle SF

For all of you out there who enjoy riding in Bald Eagle State Forest, a new IMBA chapter, the Bald Eagle Mountain Bike Association has been formed to organize trail work, host group rides, and work with DCNR on your behalf. To find out more we have have a website and a facebook page or feel free to ask questions here! We would love to have you as a member and look forward to seeing you out on the trails.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    That's wonderful - congrats from another recent chapter (Anthracite Mtn Pedalers)!

I definitely get over to your terrain a couple times a year, was actually thinging about gravel-grinding last weekend just to get a change of venue but decided against the drive since I didn't have a clue about conditions in the forest, even on the roads (and I'm just coming out of winter hibernation so I don't know how many of the hills north of RBWinter my legs and hips would have let me climb).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It would be wise to wait a week or two before really getting out on the fire roads, unless you have some studded tires on your gravel grinder, as it would be more like icegrinding right now. A few of us have been out there all winter on fat bikes, the snow is finally starting to melt a little bit. A few of us actually got out and rode a bit on Saturday on our 29ers up on Middle Ridge Trail on Jack's Mountain. That trails is pretty much all rocks so you can ride it even when it's wet elsewhere.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great! Bald Eagle is the closest trail system to me. Glad you guys started a chapter here. I'll be in touch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    It great to hear they now have new club. Did a loop yesterday, McCall Mt. Trail to Engle road road, to Black Mt. Trail to the road. Great trails but had lots of branches down. I cleaned up some along the way. They could use some TLC. What trails are they going to work on first? Is there a plan for the trails?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Attention Mountain Bikers that Ride in Bald Eagle SF-img_0344.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We are doing a trail work day this Saturday working on the East end of Old Tram. The middle section of Black Gap is pretty grown in. We usually ride the double track to connect the west and east sections but we would like to clean up the whole thing. We rode McCall Mountain Wednesday and cleared some stuff but there are still some smaller sticks around at the beginning. West Black Gap was in good shape, just a bit wet. We took care of the downed pine tree at the second bridge on East Black Gap on Wednesday, that trail looks good. Those trails you rode were part of one of our Wednesday Night Ride loops.

We have a website now Bald Eagle Mountain Bike Association

You can join there, and we also have a schedule including group rides and trail work days.
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Bummer, I would luv to help. Wish I would have paid attention to this earlier. Unfortunately I have other engagements tomorrow. If I can make it before 2, Ill try to find y'all on the tram trail.
    Know what you mean about the middle of Black Gap...since they didn't have the motorcycle race through there last year the laurel's kinda closed in. Don't know how to go about trimming it back. I hope they're done with that race. The prior year they dislodged a lot of rocks through there and I picked up a nice collection of broken parts and license plates along Black Gap and Top Mt.
    Help, I'm a rock!