mtbr member
    Dec 2006

appalachian trail - can I ride it??

The Appalachian Trail runs directly tru my area and I took a quick spin on a portion of it yesterday which was great singletrack. Met 2 land owners that give right away thru there property and neither had any issues or concerns. Question is - are we allowed to bike it?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wish, that would be an epic ride. Unfortunately, its not allowed:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...egulations.htm

Can people ride or drive the Trail?

Generally, no. The Appalachian Trail is designed, built, and maintained by hikers for foot travel. Motor vehicles are illegal on all off-road sections of the Appalachian Trail. Bicycles and mountain bikes are not permitted except where the A.T. coincides for about three miles with the C&O Canal towpath in Maryland, the Virginia Creeper Trail in Virginia, in certain Pennsylvania state gamelands, and roads in town. Horses, llamas, and other pack animals are not allowed on the A.T., except along the C&O Canal towpath in Maryland and on about 50 percent of the A.T. in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (where, by law, the route is open for horses as a historical use).

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Good question

I've always wondered about that too, but I knew the answer as well.. Here,the AT goes along the blue mtn at the northern end of lehigh cnty. I'd love to do some riding there. Some spots look really beautiful, like the area near Bake Oven Knob. This area is actually a state gamelands but from what I've seen no riding is allowed at all.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarswheelies
    I've always wondered about that too, but I knew the answer as well.. Here,the AT goes along the blue mtn at the northern end of lehigh cnty. I'd love to do some riding there. Some spots look really beautiful, like the area near Bake Oven Knob. This area is actually a state gamelands but from what I've seen no riding is allowed at all.
    Before I had the sense to know better, I rode a few sections in that area.. BOK, Bear (Baer?'s) Rocks, and over by Pinnacle, Pulpit, and the gameland trails over by Hawk Mountain (not the sanctuary trails - those were clearly posted, even then), Port Clinton fire tower, etc... I won't say I didn't have fun but, sadly, I'm a bit older and wiser now (and painfully aware of the AT rules & regs, not to mention burdened by 'conscience'), so I leave the bike at home and go backpacking on the AT instead.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    May 2006
    yeah it's a shame, i've hiked tons of the A.T. but as a biker who get pissed about motocycles and ATVs on our designated trails. i have to respect the rules of the backpackers who fought long and hard to have their special places too. NBB