mtbr member

apollo questions (roaring run)

I went out hiking today to scout out the riding at roaring run since i had never been there. Trails were outstanding. My first question is are there any accurate maps available on the web or otherwise of these trails. i have a map but it is outdated and doesn't show any of the new trails past the bridge on the river trail. Secondly, are there any weekday evening or afternoon rides there? i have seen weekends, but im looking for something on a more casual pace since ive never ridden it. don't want to struggle to keep up with a large group.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I rode there once about a month ago. Rode the blue loop with a buddy. It was a blast but kicked our asses. I'd love to get back and get some practice with somebody that isn't looking to set a blistering pace. I get home from work about 4:30 and could be up for an evening ride.

mtbr member
    I'm out there just about every weekend. Weekdays I would not be able to ride until about 6:30. If you want to meet up some time let me know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    lhorba.org

they also have a nicely setup system where there is one person who specializes in knowing what's going on in each area. i know there is someone assigned to apollo.

mtbr member
    i get home from work usually about 2:30 and live 20 minutes away in plum. im probably gonna go tommorow and a day later in the week. let me know if your interested. always feel a little better not riding alone

mtbr member
    i was out there two weekends ago, trails were in good shape for the most part but the upper trails were getting pretty grown over with weeds. so you might just want to ride the lower stuff or bring a machete with you.

mtbr member
    i went out on tuesday and rode the loop just past the river trail bridge. some of the most fun riding ive had in a long time. i used to ride in wva and in the mountains when i lived in fayette county but since i moved to plum ive been riding mostly at boyce with an occasional trip to bavington. it was nice to ride rocks and get muddy(not the kind from mudholes but from crossing actual streams) as well as get a chance to ride some of the cool ladder bridges as well. my only issue was the creek crossing at the first big waterfall on the loop. tried it three times and crashed three times . couldn't stay on the rock path. went left and hit the bank everytime. looking to get back there and explore some more. hopefully it'll get me ready for my wknd at big bear wva in july

mtbr member
    You are making me wixh I had brought my bike out with me!!! I am int own for a wedding and I am looking forward to moving and trying some of the trails around the pittsburgh area, and roaring run is on the top of my list
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.