retired
    Dec 2009

ANYTHING worth noting near Bucks County?

I am progressing in interviewing in various places and for this job would likely live in Bucks County. However, is there any MTBing even close and/or driving distance? Google suggests its a pretty crap area for biking which would be a huge bummer but please let me know if i am missing something obvious

thanks in advance

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Google "Philadelphia Mt bike club"

Great guys!

dsx
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm fairly new to MTB'ing but have lived in Bucks all my life... I haven't found many spots locally to ride, aside from at Neshaminy Highschool, aka Idlewood (which as far as I'm concerned is awesome and has alot to offer ... both XC and Downhill type trails). There are some relatively flat, but fun trails at Core Creek park, as well. Venturing into NJ gives you some more options, however, with Mercer and Ballpate parks.

If anyone knows any other places in and around bucks, I've love to hear them as well.

-DSx

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    To put it simply, you're going to have to drive for the spots with real elevation and what not. Depending on where you are in the county, you should have the weekday escape sort of places within no too far of a distance. With some driving (1/2-2 hours) you should be able to find a good bunch of trails. Blue mountain isn't too far for lift serviced riding.

Pennypack is a place where you can get your tires on dirt. Nockamixon State park I remember hearing mention at the Raystown meeting that there was progress being made there. Trails are in planning stages still it appears. The northern end of the county would really put you in reach of the elevation available in the northern end of the state.

I remember Deleware has a couple of places people like. You could always hop on the D & L trail and ride your bike up it's 160 mile length and explore the single track off shoots of it.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dsx
    I'm fairly new to MTB'ing but have lived in Bucks all my life... I haven't found many spots locally to ride, aside from at Neshaminy Highschool, aka Idlewood (which as far as I'm concerned is awesome and has alot to offer ... both XC and Downhill type trails). There are some relatively flat, but fun trails at Core Creek park, as well. Venturing into NJ gives you some more options, however, with Mercer and Ballpate parks.

If anyone knows any other places in and around bucks, I've love to hear them as well.

-DSx
    +1 for Neshaminy

I grew up in Bucks, but unfortunately wasn't mtbing much back then.... when I go home, my two favorite spots are Neshaminy (behind the high school). Lots of small loops, lots of fun stuff. I don't think you could get "lost" there, but there is a good chance you could go in a few circles while exploring.

Other spot is high rocks(ralph stover park)-great scenery. Some very techy riding, some more laid back. A couple of the climbs are steep, but not very long. Again, you really can't get lost there as long as you stick with the main trail network.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Honestly, it sucks. If you can, live near Allentown. Much better riding that is close. In Bucks, you are going to be in a car at least 30-45 minutes for any real ridding.

retired
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Honestly, it sucks. If you can, live near Allentown. Much better riding that is close. In Bucks, you are going to be in a car at least 30-45 minutes for any real ridding.
    yeah, it sure is sounding like it sucks. having said that, in the city I actually live in SoCal there is no MTBing so I need to drive 15-20 minutes anyway. However, within an hour radius, there is AMAZING riding so i know it will be a major (MTBing) culture shock no matter where i live. thanks...will check the areas noted. As I would be working in NJ (if this is the job I get offered/take), if PA would need to be Bucks country for practical (commute) reasons.

I should have also said that THE priorty for this move is Schools, hand down. Other geographies for potential job are Maryland, Mass, and the bay Area in Calif. For completeness of course I am comparing MTBing just so I can at least weight that a little bit, bit its secondary at best. This pains me as I am as big a bike whore as FoShizzle if you know him...i can live without year-round biking so long as when I can bike its decent.
    Last edited by The Anti Bling; 02-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wissahickon, Pennypack, Core Creek, High Rocks, Neshaminy, Green Lane within 30 minutes drive depending on where you are at. Roughly 50+ mi of riding...

I can't argue that there are better places for mt biking to live, but having lived in the mid-west for 20 years Bucks County aint all that shabby

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Anti Bling
    yeah, it sure is sounding like it sucks. having said that, in the city I actually live in SoCal there is no MTBing so I need to drive 15-20 minutes anyway. However, within an hour radius, there is AMAZING riding so i know it will be a major (MTBing) culture shock no matter where i live. thanks...will check the areas noted. As I would be working in NJ (if this is the job I get offered/take), if PA would need to be Bucks country for practical (commute) reasons.

I should have also said that THE priorty for this move is Schools, hand down. Other geographies for potential job are Maryland, Mass, and the bay Area in Calif. For completeness of course I am comparing MTBing just so I can at least weight that a little bit, bit its secondary at best. This pains me as I am as big a bike whore as FoShizzle if you know him...i can live without year-round biking so long as when I can bike its decent.
    Both NJ and PA have good schools - either in Bucks County or across the river in Jersey. The taxes are higher in Jersey but some would say the schools are better.

Road bikes rule in Bucks County. The roads are perfect for nice long road rides.

retired
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at
    Wissahickon, Pennypack, Core Creek, High Rocks, Neshaminy, Green Lane within 30 minutes drive depending on where you are at. Roughly 50+ mi of riding...

I can't argue that there are better places for mt biking to live, but having lived in the mid-west for 20 years Bucks County aint all that shabby
    that is great info! i perused em all and hey, while it sure as heck is different than what i am used to, not better, not worse, its freaking mountain biking so it would be great! from a "driving distance" perspective its fine as thats more less what i am used to to get to places i like. as top priority is schools no matter what, at least i know all the areas i am looking will work, with varying magnitudes i suppose but all good enough.

i currently have a hardtail and FS bike...and of course on the verge of getting another FS i dont need. what do folks ride around there or is it like anywhere else such that the terrain varies enough to warrant very different bikes depending on one's style?

just tell me something i can leverage to justify the new bike

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    If you have to drive into bucks county for work I'd recommend trying to find a place as close as possible to wissahickon. If wiss is your "home base" life is good. Being close to wiss will keep you within a reasonable driving distance of the other good spots south and west of philly.

Do yourself a favor, don't move to jersey. As a native pennsylvanian that lived in jersey for 4 years I'd sooner shoot myself in the head than move back there.

retired
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    If you have to drive into bucks county for work I'd recommend trying to find a place as close as possible to wissahickon. If wiss is your "home base" life is good. Being close to wiss will keep you within a reasonable driving distance of the other good spots south and west of philly.

Do yourself a favor, don't move to jersey. As a native pennsylvanian that lived in jersey for 4 years I'd sooner shoot myself in the head than move back there.
    I would be working Jersey so wissahickon is not an option. The schools look very strong in Newtown and that is likely where I would live IF we decided to live in PA...all depends.

Not sure what you don't like about Jersey, as I can find somebody who hates any state as you know I have never lived there but based on my personal Pros and Cons list neither PA or NJ is really high on my list to be honest. Though the job offer (if i get any) will dictate where we live of course. Everybody has their own preferences, likes/dislikes of course so I am trying to remain open minded and compare cities/states against my personal and subjective list. I do not like the high taxes and a few other things about Jersey, again acknowledging i have never lived there, but I have yet to find anywhere perfect

trail addict
    Not sure what you don't like about Jersey
    Everyone in PA hates New Jersey (except for Diablo Freeride Park)..... If you move here, I'm sure you will understand someday. If you are born here, you are indoctrinated at birth. It is like an unwritten rule. But I'm sure it has been written down somewhere. I am totally kidding, but also pretty serious.

As for bikes, Cannondale is popular, they are made here in the northeast. On regular trail rides, I mostly see guys on hardtails or anywhere from 4-6 inches of FS, just depends on your style. We don't have high mountains, but we do have short, steep climbs and lots of them on many trails. Trails vary from hard-packed dirt to rocky/rooty/bumpy.

Good luck with everything. Hope it works out for the best.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what do folks ride around there or is it like anywhere else such that the terrain varies enough to warrant very different bikes depending on one's style?
    Yes. We have flat places like the canal paths and then hilly/rocky places like Wiss or Ralph Stover, so if you are fortunate enough to have a couple different bikes, you definitely will find places to ride them.

And there are a few different groups in the area that you could join if you're looking for people to ride with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I wasn't into cycling when I was stationed up in Philly, but I have very fond memories of Bucks Co. nonetheless. Beautiful countryside, some cool stuff like Peddler's Village, Bucks Country Vinyards, the nearby Del Watergap, and so on.

Can't imagine there wouldn't be some great cycling up there.

retired
    Dec 2009
    thanks to all...i am no longer pursuing the job in Jersey as my other options were a better fit for me career wise. i have now offers in Maryland and San Francisco with a final interview this week in Boston so it will be one of those three

cheers