mtbr member

Anything to ride in Lewistown/Mifflintown area?

Anybody know of any decent singletrack in this area? - my father-in-law's cabin is outside of Mifflintown and has great access to fire roads and SGL roads, but I haven't found anything in the way of singletrack. I know that the State College area has some decent trails, but I'd rather stay a little closer to Juniata county,

Thanks - Tate

mtbr member

This is almost close

Check this place out, it rocks.
    http://home.epix.net/~rebjsw/RCSTWeb/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try the Cooper's Gap area. Enough trails to keep me happy, they run mostly from the base of Coopers Gap all the way over to the Alan Seeger picinic area and over to Greenwood Furnace. Part of the Wilderness 101 cross country race runs through here. If you feel strong you can extend the rides towards State College, Bear Meadows and Tussey Ski area. You can also jump over to the other side of 322 where the Boy Scout Camp is, quite a few trails over there too.

From Mifflintown its probably 15 to 20 minutes.

Drop me a line if you want to hook up some time.

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by tateb
    Anybody know of any decent singletrack in this area? - my father-in-law's cabin is outside of Mifflintown and has great access to fire roads and SGL roads, but I haven't found anything in the way of singletrack. I know that the State College area has some decent trails, but I'd rather stay a little closer to Juniata county,

Thanks - Tate

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. - I'm familiar with the Rattling Creek area and agree there is some excellent stuff there. As far as the stuff that's closer to Lewistown, how would I get there from the Arch Rock area? I'm sure some guys from the cabin would know these areas, but may not know of any trailheads or parking areas, etc. Our cabin is about 5 min. from the Arch Rock road exit off of 322, east of Lewistown. I'll be in the area (bikeless) around the holidays and may take a drive to explore some of these potential rides for future cabin weekends. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bike Rentals in State College?

Try this link, it is a pretty detailed map of the area. The lower left of the map is the Greenwood area that you are familiar with. The lower right is the Coopers gap area. Download the whole map, makes it a little easier to view.

To get to the Coopers Gap end, continue on 322 towards State College from the Arch Roack Road area. Once you get through the Lewistown construction in the 'narrows' along the river, its another 6 or 7 minutes to the Reedsville exit. At the bottom of the exit, turn right, then left at the red light (only one there, feed mill is in front of you). Follow that road for a mile or so then turn left on SR 4001, if you get into a residential area you've missed the turn off go back. Its a twisty single lane raod, it takes you to the bottom of Coopers Gap road, stay on it, no turns, go for about 3 or 4 miles. There is a parking area at the foot of Coopers gap just before it turns into a gravel fire road.