mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Anything good near Titusville?

My brother is running the oil creek 100 and I'm going along for support. I figured I'd probably have some time on my hands while he's running and was going to bring my bike. I think Oil Creek itself may be off limits since that's where they run the race so I was wondering if there was any place else nearby to explore while I'm there. I haven't ruled out taking the road bike either.

Hermit
    The closest singletrack that I know of would be at Two Mile Run County Park, between Franklin and Oil City. Nice trails, mostly pretty flowy. Hard to find your way around, so a GPS can be helpful.

Two Mile Run County Park - Home

There is some riding over in the Allegheny National Forest, but their crappy rules now keep mtb off most trails. Tanbark Trail, on the close side of the forest is open. Rimrock/Morrison is a good ride, but is by Kinzua Reservoir on the far side of Warren.

Kennerdell isn't real far away. It's in the Clear Creek State Forest, just west of the Allegheny River and just above I-80. Some great riding there - flowy and tech. Plus some big hills to go down (and up).

Moraine SP is below I-80 - a bit further away but it has all the rocks you could ever want. A personal favorite of mine.

I hear that there are also some trails up in Erie, but have not been there. May find some info on them in the mtbr trail review section.

Also many paved rail trail miles along the Allegheny River from Franklin, plus the Sandy Creek Trail that branches off it just south of town. Bring a light because there are tunnels.

Good luck.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the info. So the Allegheny National forest is pretty much a no go? I was trying to keep it with in an hour or so of the Oil Creek race.

Hermit
    There really aren't that many miles of legal trails in ANF. They screwed mtbrs royally in their last recreational assessment. Rimrock Morrison is really nice but it may be further than an hour away. There are some other pieces of trail, but not a lot to string together.

Two Mile Run really may be your best bet for being close. But if you ride a bunch and want good riding, I'd really say go to Kennerdell.

Cornplanter State Forest, just across the river from Tionesta, has some trails open to mtb. Not many people ride there, because its a fairly easy mix of singletrack, gravel road, and double track. But its like 10 miles from Titusville.

Post up if you want maps or directions for any of these places and I'll see if I can set you up.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/