Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wounded knee

Anyone want to ride Merli-Sarnoski Park this weekend

I would like to hit up Merli again this Weekend, Saturday or Sunday whatevers best on the whole, anyone want to go?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Who else is going with you. I might be in for Saturday. Ttyl, Fahn

wounded knee
    So far just me, I rode it last time by myself and figured I would throw a invite out there to get a few riders together.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    I'm taking a new guy out to Moon Lake on Saturday along with meeting up with a rider from Alexandria Virgina, so Sat's out for me...will ride Sunday, but if the majority wants Saturday...go for it..I'll catch the next one!
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

wounded knee
    Sunday is cool with me, might even be better time wise, (have to take the Wife out on Saturday's for dinner for brownie points )
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Im shooting for Sunday, just finished tilling the Garden, I'll put that in Saturday Morning, maybe if I get done early enough I'll be at the Moon.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    I'll be at Blue on Sunday. Kev, do you know where Vintage is? ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Hmmm...I know of a couple of "Vintage" items, gonna have to be more specific there Fahn...it's too early on a Saturday morning and I've been out here since 6am doing repairs, so already the brain is getting fried! l

mtbr member
    I marked off Vintage with PINK ribbons. When you pass of the basketball court, take a Left on the pave. You'll see a pink ribbon about 100' on your right. This is Vintage. You'll come out to a road crossing (the same one you were just on) and continue straight across. When the trail ends, you'll be on the Orange trail about 50' from the entrance to Squeeze Play. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Just got back from Merli, soaking wet, a quick question

Got chores done early so got permission from the big boss to take a ride up to Merli but should have taken a closer look at the radar map. Was debating Moon or Merli and it's all about the same from Taylor.

How many miles is the orange/red loop around Merli? Found the trail behind the horse barn, thanks to all of you for the detailed directions, probably would never have found it otherwise. Got caught in thunderstorm so headed back. Nice trails and the horses must like them too!

wounded knee
    We are definately riding on Sunday, leaving here around 8am, should be there and on the trail a little after 9, I cant wait.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Thanks Fahn! Yup, dirtrider6 & myself are heading up there early tomorrow. Thanks for those directions on Vintage.

Nepanite...you missed a great ride at the Moon...dirtrider6, yours truly here, Steve from Alexandria Virgina & AdamS had a great ride..and we came off the trails right as it started to rain. Couldn't ask for better timing. Probably one of the best rides I've had on single track in a long time (usually lugging the RR beds) AdamS is a noob, and he had a great time as well, although he invented some new cuss words when he came to the stone wall at the bottom of screamer!

Hoping tomorrow is even better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    Got chores done early so got permission from the big boss to take a ride up to Merli but should have taken a closer look at the radar map. Was debating Moon or Merli and it's all about the same from Taylor.

How many miles is the orange/red loop around Merli? Found the trail behind the horse barn, thanks to all of you for the detailed directions, probably would never have found it otherwise. Got caught in thunderstorm so headed back. Nice trails and the horses must like them too!

Do you drive the Audi parked next to my 4Runner?

The Orange loop used to be 7 miles. Right now it's prolly around 5-5.5 miles. I rode all of Merli today and removed most of the deadfall and several trees. There's still about 5 trees that need to get cut. Now that I'm 90* done up Moosic for the time, I think Merli needs some lopping and cleaning in general. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Well..I just got home from my ride at Merli. Dirtrider6 & I got there about 9 and headed out.

I have a question. Who is responsible for this trail system? I mean c'mon, really, who created all this? Were you all dropped on your heads as babies?......dropped on the rocks up there on your heads? Cliffs, ledges, trails that would scare the hell out of anyone faint of heart. I've skirted cliffs today that would make the Grand Canyon jealous and put most Billy Goats standing on the edge saying...."no way".

Seriously..are you guys nuts??

And another thing.......DON'T CHANGE A THING!!!! Gentlemen, my compliments to the chef(s). I had, and I'll include dirtrider as well here, the best ride of my life today. First of all Fahn..thanks for the ribbons you set out for us yesterday, we found them and it helped a great deal getting around the horse stable. Now, I can't find my map that DR gave me, but we skirted that trail there, ended up back on the red..ended up on what to me was the most technical section..I think called H28...something like that...that was a great trail and a whole lot of fun.

Then we ended up on some trail somewhere out there called I believe the "weinie short cut"..Well, nothing Weinie about that trail...it broke my main swingarm bolt (Fortunatly I carry a spare).

After that repair we ended up back on the red and as we were crossing the creek in that one section I was doing some rock hopping when much to my surprise one of the rocks started moving. Nothing like ready to hop on a snapping turtle! He wasn't too happy so we kind of skirted around him. He also got his revenge because as we exited the creek and started uphill, dr6 blew his chain into 2 pieces. Fixed that, headed to the lake, took a break, then headed up...again... the trail away from the lake all the way up and then to the Porcipine trails that run along that high ledge.

This by far was the highlight of the whole ride I thought. Whoever put those trails in is the wizard of trail building. To run ledge side trails like that that don't send you careening off the side of the mountain is a feat that not too many can accomplish.

After that it was downhill all the way to the paved road and back to the car...5 1/2 hours later.

Although I'm not much of a technical rider, I think I proved myself today as did dr6. Not too many difficulties..and wait to you see the vids that dr6 took. The camera was on the whole time just about and I'm sure he'll get them up as soon as he gets them edited. I have some pics as well that I will put up once I get them downloaded.

Once again Merli guys....great job,,by far pretty much the best set up I've ever seen!

wounded knee

Saturday ride on the darkside of the Moon.

What a awesome ride, we hit up Squeezer and a few trails I missed last time, HR280, and Porcupine cliffs which was worth the price of admission in itself, as Kevin said, what a piece of trail artwork this was, it had you holding on for dear life and saying wow more times than I care to mention, it was nothing short of amazing.

I have a ton of video to conver, and edit so it might take me a while.

Thanks again guys, amazing trail system.
    Last edited by dirtrider6; 05-30-2010 at 04:06 PM.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    The trails were put in by Gene Katapski. My Brothers Trail was put in by Pete... Genes brother, hence the name. I'd like to get up and ride with you, I can show you some trails up there that you may have missed. Squeeze Play, My Brothers trail, Fox Rocks, and Blade (one of the hardest rock gardens I've ever seen). The last 3 miles of trail were lost to the timbering from the County of Communist. Anyway, a couple of us from Hubbard get up there when we can and clean it up. Now that Blueberry is done up Moosic I think I'll be up Merli doing some lopping to cut back the limbs and maybe rake up some too.

We have to ride together. Let me know when you want to ride there again. Usually Sundays are better, but I have every other Saturday off. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep, that was us. Not sure of the arrival time at this point but we only got 2 miles in before the storm started. We continued on for a bit but the rain got stronger and broke us down to the point of heading back. Of course by then, the sun was starting to break thru. Oh well, we will try again soon (but this time, we will respect the weatherman more!)

mtbr member
    Oh..we were on squeezer...my handlebar ends will attest to that! (and my elbows)

wounded knee
    [QUOTE=LarryFahn]. I'd like to get up and ride with you, I can show you some trails up there that you may have missed. Squeeze Play, My Brothers trail, Fox Rocks, and Blade (one of the hardest rock gardens I've ever seen). We have to ride together. Let me know when you want to ride there again. Usually Sundays are better, but I have every other Saturday off. Ttyl, Fahn[/QUOTE

We could not find My brothers trail, we even backtracked, is it before or after the stream crossing?
    There was a few after that, Fox rocks I think, but we looked at the entrance all uphill, and decided not this time, we were both exhausted, by time we found Porcupine cliffs we were running on pure adrenaline that the trail provided.

I would really like to hit up Merli again, but on fresh legs, we had a hard ride the day before at the Moon, but I think I would hold you up Fahn.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    No one holds me up! I used to be the slowest rider of all time. Really, check out http://www.GuinnessBookOfWorldRecord...lowestMtnBiker ! Anyway, this year I've improved quite a bit and with a new ride (Remedy). I'm having a ton of fun every day I ride. Be it the hardtail or the Remedy.

I'm always up for showing people around Merli, Prompton, Moosic, LSP, or Hubbard. If they're racers, they'd be better with someone else.

In the order of riding clockwise, Start Loop, to the Orange, Squeeze Play, Orange, Handlebar, Orange (a section AKA The Boneyard. Real rocky), My Brothers Trail which crosses the Orange and leads you right onto Fox Rocks. Fox Rocks comes back to the Orange and takes you down to the field. From the field, Blade is on the Left and comes out 100yds up the Orange trail by the creek crossing. You pedal up the quad path to the lake and continue uphill to the top of "3 Mile Climb". Continue down to the timbered section. This is now part of the Orange and the old Twister mixed together due to the timbering. Porcupine Cliff is on the Left and loops back to where you just were. Another mile+ and you're back to your car.

Let me know when you guys want to go! ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 05-31-2010 at 05:44 AM.

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    No one holds me up! I used to be the slowest rider of all time. Really, check out http://www.GuinnessBookOfWorldRecord...lowestMtnBiker ! I'm always up for showing people around Merli, Prompton, Moosic, LSP, or Hubbard. If they're racers, they'd be better with someone else.
    Let me know when you guys want to go! ttyl, Fahn
    I definately want to hit up Merli again, I had a blast, thanks for the offer.

Here's some pics from the ride.
    The turtle that Kevin almost placed his tire on till it moved!

Down by the lake.

A nasty downhill on the Porcupine cliffs

Creepy bike pics

Kevin repairing and replacing the swingarm pivot.

Kevin looking at the trail map as we did most of the day, saying where are we again?
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Wizard of the Trail
    LF, I got you beat in the slow department. Glad you guys had a great time. I haven't got on my bike in 4 days, so i am climbing the walls right now. I hope to ride tomorrow.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

wounded knee
    Videos from the day
    Start loop, and Squeeze play.
    Dedicated to Ronnie James Dio, the last in line.

We rock on the rocks riding HR280

Porcupine Cliffs
    The trail was technical heaven, but if you went of the cliff on the right it would hurt like hell.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Oh wow...watching the vids makes me NOT want to do anything else buy grab the bike & head back up there!

Fantastic footage of a fantastic ride! Once again Chuck, Thanks for allowing me the pleasure and experience of an "epic" ride.

mtbr member
    Some of my pics..didn't get too may, too busy enjoying the ride!

Do I look like I know where we're at??

This rock sent me sailing in the air. Bad rock!!

Never thought I would have to replace a swing arm pivot bolt on a ride.

Whatdya' think..need more windmills??? Lol..the Carbondale scenic overlook!

Hmmm..I guess we made that ol' snappeing turtle real mad...looks like he bit the chain in 2 here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast