pitbull592

Anyone ride the perkiomen trail?

I live about 2 miles from the green lane entrance of the perkiomen trail. I'm down with a injury now till the spring, and have my bike already to ride when I get the dr's clearance. I want to start racing xc, with some light trails for the fun factor.

I figured for training it will take me one year of hardcore riding to get ready for a cat3 race. I was going to start out doing 20 mile rides and progressing until I can ride the entire trail back and forth (42 miles) 19 miles x2 and 4 miles to and from my home. I will be riding a specialized epic.

Does anyone use the trail for xc training? and what kind of training do you think I'll need to be competive in a xc race? I also plan to hit some different spots to get some climbing in.
    Fortune favors the bold-Alexander the great

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Perk trail is fine for just getting in shape and building a good base. It will not help you much with riding in real race conditions as it is only a gravel path with a few unofficial side trails.

Next spring head on down to the mighty Wissahickon. When you can ride all the trails on both sides of the creek in about 2 hours, you should be ready to race and kick @$$.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I road the perk trail about 2 months ago its great for a easy ride on flat ground but it really won't be challenging for you most likely. It really doesn't get your heart up because the ride is so level. Then again it might be the best thing for you at the moment considering your condition.

The Wiss on the other hand is a completely different animal, it kills me...lol

pitbull592
    Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I figured I'd just ride the perkiomen trail to get back in shape, and to prepare me for riding at more challenging spots like the wiss. I figure a few months back in the saddle & I'll be able to tackle some more challenging trails. I'd like to ride a good solid year before I attempt my first cat 3 race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Clock in serious mileage on a regular basis and hammer some of it hard and even the Perkiomen can provide some excellent conditioning benefit. yeah, you'll to figure out something else for hillwork but you gotta ride what's near your house. Otherwise you might not ride at all during the week if your work schedule won't allow you to rack the ride and drive somewhere, especially with shorter days.

You're lucky that trail's nearby - I live right in the middle of Quakertown and there's nothing close with any serious mileage to it.

Good luck!

pitbull592
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    Clock in serious mileage on a regular basis and hammer some of it hard and even the Perkiomen can provide some excellent conditioning benefit. yeah, you'll to figure out something else for hillwork but you gotta ride what's near your house. Otherwise you might not ride at all during the week if your work schedule won't allow you to rack the ride and drive somewhere, especially with shorter days.

You're lucky that trail's nearby - I live right in the middle of Quakertown and there's nothing close with any serious mileage to it.

Good luck!
    Exactly what I was thinking. I'll start out doing 20 mile perk trail rides, and work my way up to the full 42, all the time I'll slowly add some climbs, more tech trail/singletrack in the mix. My biggest concerns when I start back out is conditioning, and shedding some unwanted weight.

Dude hit me in the spring. I have a few locals that ride with me, and I'm on the pennsburg, green lane border so I'm not far. I also joined valley mountain bikers to meet more riders. Can't wait to head over to the nockamixon trails, and all my old haunts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull592
    Exactly what I was thinking. I'll start out doing 20 mile perk trail rides, and work my way up to the full 42, all the time I'll slowly add some climbs, more tech trail/singletrack in the mix. My biggest concerns when I start back out is conditioning, and shedding some unwanted weight.

Dude hit me in the spring. I have a few locals that ride with me, and I'm on the pennsburg, green lane border so I'm not far. I also joined valley mountain bikers to meet more riders. Can't wait to head over to the nockamixon trails, and all my old haunts.
    I joined VMB last month with the same thought. I'll be at the Tower Rd. trailhead at 9:00 AM Sunday the 26th for the cutting-in of the new trail. Maybe meet you and the locals over there sometime.